Rib Altair Bed, Anything Better For The Money? Other Recommendations?

Errrr, hang on a minute...

It’s about 55cm to the front edge which is the highest point.

Obviously, different fitting kits and installers may differ. Good luck!

C7477834-ADE0-492C-93CB-60C3A6A47CB1.jpeg

Last edited:
Perfect thanks.

Just measured the leg of our current base and it's about 53.5 on full extension, not long enough then, especially if the seat base angles down towards the rear....

He'll be in a different seat obviously at some point, some investigation required then.

Last edited:
I'm currently in the process of looking for a bead and the RIB is the favourite at the moment.

However I cant decide if to have the slider or not. A couple of fitters I spoke to seem to say about 50% of the sliders can have rattles/squeaks and also less storage.

This is making me favour a fixed RIB. If you have a slider has there been any noise?

Thanks

Sometimes they can make a noise but this can be adjusted on the sliders. Also I have had the handle vibrating on the frame but again it’s a simple fix. We always use slider beds, more flexible in these small vans. Most beds will make a noise of some kind, when going over bumps, there has to be tolerance in them to operate, but in normal conditions they are fine. We only had one customer not happy with a bed we fitted due to rattles, however this was not a RIB but another make, we no longer fit this other make due to the problem we had. You wnt be dissapointed with teh RIB bed.

Cheers
Ian
Eclipse Campers :thumbsup:

Sometimes they can make a noise but this can be adjusted on the sliders. Also I have had the handle vibrating on the frame but again it’s a simple fix. We always use slider beds, more flexible in these small vans. Most beds will make a noise of some kind, when going over bumps, there has to be tolerance in them to operate, but in normal conditions they are fine. We only had one customer not happy with a bed we fitted due to rattles, however this was not a RIB but another make, we no longer fit this other make due to the problem we had. You wnt be dissapointed with teh RIB bed.

Cheers
Ian

Thanks for the reply Ian.

I wanted a slider :(
Not too dis-chuffed now tho as the seat stays where it is and the van ain't big enough for our to make a difference. It's always pushed back for driving into it's locked position with the back/head portion of the seat folded up. More storage space that way.
If I was doing another van, would I put a slider in? For a day van, probably, yes. Not sure for a full camper as im not missing it. The funds for that went into my solar panels!:thumbsup:

I optioned the Slider for my 120cm RIB, well worth it, for the extra room it gives me in the van.

I set it up to allow more room in the camper than the rear storage area

I did have a rattle, but it was because there was a bolt that needed to be tightened, after that it was fine.

I ordered the frame slightly higher so a porta potty would fit under the seat

I ordered the frame slightly higher so a porta potty would fit under the seat

Didn't know this was an option/possible. That's one thing I wanted but have come to the conclusion it will have to be stored in the back.

Where have you positioned the seat in relation to the rear? How much 'movement' does the fitting kit that you used allow? Cheers.

Yeah it is possible, you just need to work out what height you need for the porta potty.

There is a draw back, the seat is higher, by about 40mm from memory and also from memory i have the smaller 335 porta potti

I believe i have around 150mm movement on my set up, i had the bed fitted by the importer, although i've taken it out about 3 times so far during the camper conversion.

I can get the measurements for you next time i head out to my industrial shed, i might even have the build drawings for the bed

Some good thoughts there. I'm thinking of the full width bed and putting a slidepods unit in so the location the seat goes would be dictated by the slidepod.

Does the 20cm slide really make much difference? I guess a lot of the storage space behind the seat would be taken by the slidepod.

Didn't know this was an option/possible. That's one thing I wanted but have come to the conclusion it will have to be stored in the back.

Where have you positioned the seat in relation to the rear? How much 'movement' does the fitting kit that you used allow? Cheers.
The seats can be ordered from the factory at any height you require within the tolerances of the seat design, understand that different vehicles have different heigh wheel arches so the seat frames are different heights. We sometimes spec different heights if the customer has fitted their own floor and the standard seats dont fit.

Cheers
Ian
Eclipse Campers:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but i came across the RIB sliding bed on rails...

This seems to create much more space and offer more a bit more versatility...

Thinking of putting one in my camper and was wondering has anyone got one or heard if they are any good.

RIB Altair 2 Seater Full Sliding Bed System

Just starting to plan my SWB panel Van conversion.
Coming from a fully converted T4 with a 112cm width bed I'm wanting something wider.
The 130cm rib seems to be perfect, we've got a young one now too so want the best safety wise. I seem to remember RIB were a well respected option a few years back, is this still the case?
Any other options that are about for around that sort of money (ie. 2.5k)?

Cheers.
Try Silver Surf Conversions they have developed a slid pod with a bed system think you will be impressed.

Camper Pics 1813.JPG

Try Silver Surf Conversions they have developed a slid pod with a bed system think you will be impressed.

View attachment 69375

Bit of a thread resurrection there, do you work for them or just a really happy customer?
No good for me, totally the opposite of what I'd require in a bed/seat system but thanks anyway.

@j4ckal - Did you go for the 130 slider and are you happy? I'm guessing junior is now out of the isofix seat with supporting leg....... Remembering back to ours being that young, the fact that they were so far back was the issue, only solved by Mum travelling in the back (which could be a silver lining at times).
On to the new van and I have a 130 slider sat in a box waiting to go in. Just trying to work out where the 907 gas bottle will go and under the seat is favourite. It's a kitchen pod with slim, bed height units to rear, so the bottle won't fit in the furniture.

@j4ckal - Did you go for the 130 slider and are you happy? I'm guessing junior is now out of the isofix seat with supporting leg....... Remembering back to ours being that young, the fact that they were so far back was the issue, only solved by Mum travelling in the back (which could be a silver lining at times).
On to the new van and I have a 130 slider sat in a box waiting to go in. Just trying to work out where the 907 gas bottle will go and under the seat is favourite. It's a kitchen pod with slim, bed height units to rear, so the bottle won't fit in the furniture.

In the end I went for a cali bed on rails, just a few roo many compromises with the RIB bed for me.
Your layout was a similar one I was going to go for with a 130 rib, I think I was going to go underslung gas though.
Best of luck with fitting it all in.

Cheers
Ian
Hi all, going back to this previous post. I've got a fixed 130 and have the handle vibrating against the frame issue (Although I'm not convinced it's actually in contact with the frame and think it's simply to much play in the bar\the springs are not tight enough). Can you advise what the simple fix you mentioned in this post is? If I put a folded up tea towel under the bar it stops the noise but that shouldn't be a workaround for a 2.5k bed.

Back