Rib Altair Bed, Anything Better For The Money? Other Recommendations?

j4ckal

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Just starting to plan my SWB panel Van conversion.
Coming from a fully converted T4 with a 112cm width bed I'm wanting something wider.
The 130cm rib seems to be perfect, we've got a young one now too so want the best safety wise. I seem to remember RIB were a well respected option a few years back, is this still the case?
Any other options that are about for around that sort of money (ie. 2.5k)?

Cheers.

I went through the same research and now have a RIB bed. It's great. The safety angle was a big part but they are really good to sleep on.
Others may beg to differ as bed/mattress is very subjective. Try one.

The safety angle was a big part but they are really good to sleep on.

Completely agree!

We have slept on our RIB Altair for over 40 camping weeks now - over 50 nights at a time on some trips. We also have a Duvalay topper and it's a great night's sleep. :thumbsup:

D.

Another satisfied RIB users here! Safety was a concern for us and we also have isofix too.

Excellent thanks for the replies so far.
Was also going to ask if anyone had used the isofix on the rib beds, all work ok?

Also think I'm going for the slider option, 20cm of movement or so? I assume the seat is safe to travel in any position within that 20cm range (ie. If I move it all the way forward to get more in the 'boot' area it can still be sat on for traveling)?

I have the slider in mine and use it in various positions for travelling.

The isofix seem to work just as well as in the car. You will need to check that the support leg is long enough though as it’s higher than most car bench seats.

Pete

Cheers Pete.

Next time you've got the isofix base/seat in you couldn't check how long the leg when is extended could you? Don't worry if not.

Thanks.

Cheers Pete.

Next time you've got the isofix base/seat in you couldn't check how long the leg when is extended could you? Don't worry if not.

Thanks.

Hi,

Sorry, we don’t use isofix now so have nothing to measure. I can measure the height of the front edge of the seat when I get back if that helps? Currently in Norfolk and don’t have a measure with me.

As for fitting kits, my converter used a Kiravans fitting kit.

Pete.

No worries pete, I'll have a search about re. seat height/isofix.

Anyone used the clearcut installation kit?

Also anyone gone for a 130cm and regretted it?
I'm planning some slim units down the side (maybe low level) and it kicking out behind drivers seat to house fridge and hob/sink....

We are on our fourth night on our 112cm rib. I found the first night very firm but since then we use the mattress from the pop top bed on top all held in place by a 4ft double fitted sheet. No further issues, in fact a very comfortable sleep. Can't advise on the fitting though.

All sounds good, cheers.

My only issue at the minute is how much space is in the back when a slider version is mounted in a swb?
I ideally was after a reasonable area for storage when the seat was slid forwards but this may not be the case as the frame is in the way?
Looking for a position to store the portapotty too, I believe this won't fit under a bed with slider so was going to put it in the back bit looks like not enough room?
Any pics of a slider mounted in a swb anyone?

Cheers.

Hi, There is no dedicated seat fitting position, each company will have their own preference or place based on the design of their own fitting kit. The fitting kits from Kiravans I have seen seem push the seat forward as they are designed to work with non-slider seats. With the seat forward you may need to make furniture with Tambor doors and the rear cupboard may not have enough space for a traditional door.

We fit RIB all of the time and have our own fitting kit, which allows us to fit the seat further back and therefore allows larger doors to be used in our conversions, gives more living space. We use slider seats, more expensive but more flexible for the end user.

Rgds

Ian

Eclipse Campers

All sounds good, cheers.

My only issue at the minute is how much space is in the back when a slider version is mounted in a swb?
I ideally was after a reasonable area for storage when the seat was slid forwards but this may not be the case as the frame is in the way?
Looking for a position to store the portapotty too, I believe this won't fit under a bed with slider so was going to put it in the back bit looks like not enough room?
Any pics of a slider mounted in a swb anyone?

Cheers.
On a slider, only the top slides - just like your drivers seat. So the base frame position dictates the amount of space available behind the seat.

Hi, I have a SWB with RIB on a slider. Which bits do you want photos/measurements of?

Thanks, would there be much movement of where it fits in a swb though? Does the ftiting kit kit limit mounting position or layout or furniture etc?

Last edited:
As a previous post says, the base frame stays still, and just the seat slides. The fitting kits will dictate where that frame sits.

I find that if I leave the rearmost cushion flat, like a parcel shelf, I can get my awning below and bedding on the ‘shelf’. The slider has to be slightly forward for that.

If I fold the ‘shelf’ up so it meets the backrest, I can push the slider fully back and make more floor space.

Hi, I have a SWB with RIB on a slider. Which bits do you want photos/measurements of?

Great.
Wanted to know the height from floor to first obstruction underneath and width between legs ie. what size (ideally portapotti) object could be slid under the bed for storage. Also would like to know the available boot space, say from where the tailgate would shut to the first part of the frame/slider, ie. the available boot space? Does folding up the rear part of the bed/parcel shelf create a reasonable sized area in the boot?

Thanks!

Ok...

Photo 1 is from the ply panel to the inner edge of the threshold, and that’s about 38cm, but I’d have another 1.5cm or so if I didn’t have the ply panel.

Photo 2 is with the ‘shelf’ up, and the RIB fully back.

Photo 3 is with the ‘shelf’ up, and the RIB fully forward (gives about another 25cm)

Photo 4 shows the frame and the cupboard opening. Due to the frame, the opening (without ply) is about 24.5cm high, by about 31cm at its narrowest (by the seat belt reel mounts).

Photo 5 is the RIB fully forward, showing the position in relation to the sliding door.

The frame is quite extensive, and I’m not sure you’d get a porta potti in there.

D825E30C-DF55-429B-A17C-2EB5492A1EB1.jpeg

FBB3A458-1AB3-4ED3-89D3-7326B58D58DB.jpeg

85082BA3-19CF-42C3-BBAB-9B0E9DCB2017.jpeg

79F3AA32-B661-48F7-81AB-2A2E2FF289F0.jpeg

82223059-183B-48A2-9D5C-C52E0DAFC04D.jpeg

Thanks Pete that is perfect, just what I was after.

So I could fit a portapotti in the space behind the seat if it sits where yours does. I'd be using the clearcut mounting kit though.

Did you get the height of the seat from the floor (re. Isofix height) whilst you had the tape out by any chance?

Thanks really appreciate the help/advice all.

Back