Reversing Camera, Essential?

gonzoromirez

Hi guys,
Brand new to the forum and buying my first T6 transporter panel van hopefully tomorrow!
Narrowed it down to 3 which I am going to view. One has a reverse camera and the other 2 have sensors.
The one with the camera is about £500 dearer with 5000 more on the clock and a 68 plate not a 19 plate like the others.
Is it worth the compromise to get the camera? or is it just a luxury you can do without?
Thanks in advance

It's a luxury you can do without. The sensors do a good enough job on their own. Although having said that, in a panel van with no rear window, the sensors might miss something higher up?

If you really want the camera, spend a bit of time on this forum and you'll find that you can retrofit a rear camera for less than the £500. That way you get the younger, lower mileage van, a reverse camera and keep a few quid in your pocket.

It's very handy but I'd plumb for the lower mileage newer ones and retrofit one if you really want it.

So the older, higher mileage van is £500 more expensive?

It must have more options than just a camera. If any of the vans have LED headlights, that would be the one I'd go for. I'd happily pay £500 and sacrifice a few thousand miles more for one with those.

Yes its dearer, and the only other extras listed are front and rear parking sensors and electric folding wing mirrors. Only going off Autotrader ad so all will be revealed when viewing them and all prices are negotiable!
I'm tempted by the extra warranty I think.
Thanks for the comments, really useful

Will the basic Highline VW headunit with no sat nav work with a reverse camera? I've seen kits on eBay and would happily feed the wires through to the back of the stereo to the boot if it will work..

@Rg_
More than likely. Find out what head unit you have, on google images if necessary ,then have a look at the compatible head unit list on the camera websites or speak to @Absolut5 on here who can also supply both OEM and aftermarket cameras.
My Highline has the Discover media head unit and will definitely run a camera. I am planning to fit one soon but am debating flush mounted OEM style vs aftermarket not so flush....
Discover Media:

Which ever you use it will need to be coded via VCDS.

Op ... are you comparing apples with apples?

My kombi came with the VW camera already fitted .... I’d say it’s a very useful feature

OP, as per your original question, reversing cameras are essential. I bought a LWB PV, and the first thing I did was buy a retrofit kit from the (now closed) forum shop. It was £200 ish. That's comparable to a wheel refurb or smart repair. You only need one of those to make a bad day. I have other vehicles too with reversing cameras. Whilst I am careful, you generally need to get into spaces and situation these days, especially with a PV, that you do need a reversing camera to be able to do.

Buy the van of your choice and retrofit a camera. Get the camera from Pauly or VW, then have Pauly supply the loom. Simples......

With the plethora of cheap FPV kit on the market now, you can rig up a wireless
reversing camera for tuppence ha'penny.

Will the basic Highline VW headunit with no sat nav work with a reverse camera? I've seen kits on eBay and would happily feed the wires through to the back of the stereo to the boot if it will work..
I have the basic head unit running a factory rear facing camera, so yes. It’s handy to have especially as just the sensors can be a little keen whilst backing in to tight spots.

Hi guys,
Brand new to the forum and buying my first T6 transporter panel van hopefully tomorrow!
Narrowed it down to 3 which I am going to view. One has a reverse camera and the other 2 have sensors.
The one with the camera is about £500 dearer with 5000 more on the clock and a 68 plate not a 19 plate like the others.
Is it worth the compromise to get the camera? or is it just a luxury you can do without?
Thanks in advance
Having a camera will also reduce your insurance premium if fitted

I ended up buying a different, nearly new van with a reverse camera for what I wanted to spend. Happy days if it helps the insurance premium too, didn't realise that. Taking delivery next week, can't wait!

With the number of d1ckhead drivers on the roads these days I wonder if a front recording camera would be more 'essential' than a rear one?

I have the basic head unit running a factory rear facing camera, so yes. It’s handy to have especially as just the sensors can be a little keen whilst backing in to tight spots.

That's good to know. Where did you get the factory rear camera from?

I didn’t think the basic could run a reversing camera, only the composite and discover media units? I may have got this confused with app connect though.

Does anyone know why the 2018 T6 OEM reversing camera doesn't have the 'moving guidelines' ( the lines that move as you turn the steering wheel and predict where you will end up)?

Can they be added?
ps- I quite like the camera but image not always great ,esp if raining. (maybe lens needs a clean ;O) )

Back