Retrofitting powered Tailgate

Are yours working with oem parking sensors, bit scary to think said tailgate can rise to the occasion & clobber something lol
Not connected them up yet, the loom from Kufatec doesn't come with that bit. Looking at the drawings it's simple to do using a standard relay.

Hey Mr @Robert

Bloody top mod, as per usual with you lol BTW, whats the connector part way down the strut harness for, it almost looks like a nipple for a pipe but that would be silly lol

Did you get yours connected so it utilises the factory parking sensors then?

I'm tempted to have a go at this mod, especially as you have managed to do this without damaging/whacking the oem tailgate :)
View attachment 56922
This option is for people who are not going to switch to 7E5 tailgate and want to keep their existing 7E0 tailgate and are willing to also implement modification to the tailgate itself.

Reactions: mmi

So, guess you still need to cut the tailgate out as per Mr Deaky's pics even with your brackets? I've had a look but cant see any tailgate mod pics of your van

ta mister, me!

So, guess you still need to cut the tailgate out as per Mr Deaky's pics even with your brackets? I've had a look but cant see any tailgate mod pics of your van

ta mister, me!
Bloody Volkswagen, they really did their homework properly to make sure that electric tailgate retrofit is not going to be possible with non electric (7E0) tailgate. There is literally few extra mm of space required to accommodate electric drives (struts/rams).
There might be other ways to achieve the final result successfully but I decided to proceed with my own brackets and unavoidable modification to the tailgate.

So, yes you are correct, you need these brackets and you need to cut tailgate.

Last edited:
  • Wow
OK I've bought the chinese complete kit and installed it, it works well but not perfect think i need the correct hinges to help
called my local dealer and they want £80 anyone got a supplier who can get them 1 x Hinge 7E5827302a 28,24 EUR
1 x Hinge 7E5827301a 28,24 EUR
My part list including my purchase prices:

1 x Tailgate switch 7E0959831WHS 16,36 EUR
1 x Control Unit 7E0959107A 154,44 EUR or any similar i.e. 7N0959107G (whichever is cheaper)
2 x Electric Drive 7E5827851C 533,52 EUR
1 x Hinge 7E5827302 28,24 EUR
1 x Hinge 7E5827301 28,24 EUR
2 x Stud 7E5827439 2,70 EUR
1 x Alarm/Beeper 8E0919279 18,74 EUR
1 x Drivers door switch 7E5959831CREH 16,36 EUR
1 x Trim for drivers door switch 7E59595279B9 9,36 EUR
1 x Wiring loom by Kufatec 160,00 EUR
4 x Hex Socket Countersunk bolt 10.9 M8 x 16mm 0,90 EUR

Total of €968 = £850

plus home made
2 x bottom bracket (2 x steel flat bar & 2 x M8 nut & 2 x existing tailgate stud)

Also tailgate power latching and 3 button key fob are required (I had both already).

Before you consider to upgrade your key fob check this out;)

where did you get those hinges just called my local dealer and they are quoting £80+vat for the pair

or an
Bloody Volkswagen, they really did their homework properly to make sure that electric tailgate retrofit is not going to be possible with non electric (7E0) tailgate. There is literally few extra mm of space required to accommodate electric drives (struts/rams).
There might be other ways to achieve the final result successfully but I decided to proceed with my own brackets and unavoidable modification to the tailgate.

So, yes you are correct, you need these brackets and you need to cut tailgate.
the Chinese kit seems to work and fit without modification, but not consistent at the moment not sure if it's down to the incorrect hinges or the lightweight tailgate not having glass or a wiper motor as it opens ok but doesn't quite close consistently......... watch this space

forgot to say the kit is working off the keyfob to open but not to close (yet) maybe a coding thing but not seen anything for it yet on VCDS.

OK I've bought the chinese complete kit and installed it, it works well but not perfect think i need the correct hinges to help
called my local dealer and they want £80 anyone got a supplier who can get them 1 x Hinge 7E5827302a 28,24 EUR
1 x Hinge 7E5827301a 28,24 EUR

where did you get those hinges just called my local dealer and they are quoting £80+vat for the pair
You can buy here ---> VOLKSWAGEN genuine spare parts shop with part number and catalogue
If you use GB(EU) VAT number you can also avoid paying 19% German tax but only until the Brexit.

forgot to say the kit is working off the keyfob to open but not to close (yet) maybe a coding thing but not seen anything for it yet on VCDS.
I am not sure what kind of configuration is possible with your kit.

But to open and close the tailgate with the remote on the VW OEM setup you just need to apply the following adaptations to your tailgate control module.
20200122_210743.jpg

Last edited:
I have the factory fitted electric tailgate and side doors but I can't get the tailgate to close with the fob, is this a VCDS option as per video or can it be done with Carista ? Thanks.

I have the factory fitted electric tailgate and side doors but I can't get the tailgate to close with the fob, is this a VCDS option as per video or can it be done with Carista ? Thanks.
You need to apply these adaptations ---> Retro fitting powered Tailgate???

By the way, do you have tailgate switch on the drivers door? If so would you mind to confirm what functionality it has in the following 4 scenarios.

1 - opening with a short/quick pull
2 - opening with a long pull
3 - closing with a short/quick pull
4 - closing with a long pull

Last edited:
What was the kit like to fit,
Are the instructors easy to follow and do you need power latching.

You need to apply these adaptations ---> Retro fitting powered Tailgate???

By the way, do you have tailgate switch on the drivers door? If so would you mind to confirm what functionality it has in the following 4 scenarios.

1 - opening with a short/quick pull
2 - opening with a long pull
3 - closing with a short/quick pull
4 - closing with a long pull
@BeePee anything?

Sorry dude, work got in the way.

No switch, just works on the key fob. Tried the memory function on the tailgate switch though

What was the kit like to fit,
Are the instructors easy to follow and do you need power latching.
HI the kit was delivered with chinese instructions and a link to even more chinese instructions, I emailed them and they sent me instructions for a T5 and said it was the same so I managed to find them somewhere for the T6 but still a bit different in the wiring so still a bit unsure and will post full details when I get it fully working, hinges should arrive next week and hopefully get them fitted at the weekend and finish the job off.

Back