Retrofit: Power fold mirror with fold on remote lock

Thank you. I don’t mind a wait.

Just ordered the extra wiring and connectors I need for the folding mirrors.

Thanks.

For the same front door lighting I took the positive feed from BCM courtesy circuit timed positive feed (=feeding cabin overhead + cargo area lights). My reasoning was to make them eventually switch off as quite often I have a door open for hours - so have also them under van's energy management now. Just double-checked last night in the full darkness that my lights are totally off when door is closed (both unlocked and locked).

Unfortunately I didn't check the voltages across lights when installed them.

However, I used same principle to install lights into tailgate - using door switch on the tailgate to "ground" them. Below a picture of "the sensing voltage of the BCM" when tailgate is closed (no load attached). 11.9 V for 2.5 ms at 100 Hz rate.
View attachment 93396
If the BCM is doing the same on the front door sensing this might explain the open circuit voltage you saw. For this waveform a multimeter indicated 5.6 Volts (against the ground, open circuit). In my blurry notes is that having a 1 kohm load the voltage dropped below 0.5 Volts, also have a note of max. current available being 1.1 mA.

Anyways, intriguing challenge - wondering if my LEDs have a voltage threshold before they turn on which might explain something, or is it just because of different feed. Anyways, at the time I was prepared to put a diode into the black wire from the BCM (or black / brown on n/s) wire to stop the "back-flow" - if had resulted glowing LEDs.
I thought the saga of the door opening lights was over, but when I was out in the van last night something odd happened. As you know, my door opening lights glow slightly when the doors are closed (see explanation above) but I suddenly noticed they were glowing brightly when I was waiting at some.traffic lights. It turns out that the door opening lights come on whenever the indicators are on!

Who came up with idea of putting sequential indicator on a side of a vehicle (wing)?
It is such a nonsense and misconception.
Can someone quote make and model of a vehicle with such a setup from factory?

• Wow
Reactions: mmi
Hi has anyone got leads of where to buy the just folding motors? Are they they same in the t5 mirrors as the t6?
I'm chatting to a company in china but wondering if quicker to buy some old t5 folding mirrors and just swap the motors over?
Imagine I'd have to rewire it for a t6 plug.

I was going to buy the complete folding mirror kit of travelling-lite but was £650ish and sold out.

Ok got the motor kit from Taiwan. Came with a weird switch though so can anyone supply the vw one? 7E1959565K

I do, bought one ages ago with the intent of fitting folding mirrors but never got around to it, it’s been in and out of van a couple times so it’s not brand new but is boxed in good condition and has the little chrome ring on top for that extra little bit of bling

Just a word of warning for anyone following this…the Taiwan motors don’t fit or integrate with my kit 2017 t6.

Went to fit today was planning to swap components from existing manual fold but electric mirrors. Problem is the actual mirror motor doesn’t fit the supplied mounts and you can’t make the swivel motors fit in the older housing. Ah well.

Think I’ll send them back.

94B8AC34-B5FD-41F2-9F42-EDB743862A38.jpeg

646BEE01-5A57-4B87-86AF-6BB858618906.jpeg

Hi Have the correct fitment mirrors now & a switch from @Pauly.

Have both mirrors working when manual checked on a 12v battery.

Could someone just have a look at my interpretation of @Robert diagram and point me in the right direction for wiring?

Thanks

Controller:
Screenshot 2021-10-22 at 15.20.05.png

Diagram:
Mirror wiring.png

Got it working. To anyone following this I’d recommend labeling all wires so you can easily backtrack. I think I was mixing up the switch and ground wire for some reason.

Anyway all good here’s it working. Next to tidy up & hide the wiring then just gotta wire up the leds I’ve put in the mirrors.

And here with the puddle lights wired up to the overhead lights. They come on when the overhead lights come on so unlock or door opening etc.

I will probably add a hidden switch so they can be turned off if ever needed.

So.. how do you guys now re-position your mirror glass?

Using the relay wiring & the official vw switch when on anything other than fold the mirrors will fold up.

Not really an issue for me but will be annoying when I sell it etc.

That doesn't sound right maybe the NC/NO wires on the relays are the wrong way round?

To get power fold mirrors with fold on remote lock on T6 there are generally speaking two ways.

OPTION 1 (OEM)
Parts required:
- 2 off power folding mirrors (7E2857508DG & 7E2857507DB)
- 2 off door control modules (7E0959801L & 7E0959802L)
- 5 off pre crimped wire 000979009E
- 1 off 7E1959565K mirror switch with folding
@Robert - The Travelin-Lite retro fit kit is currently £455 on Ebay which is tempting - I would prefer a full OEM option if I can get it for the same or better money.

I did a quick eBay search with these part numbers. Unfortunately both door control module part nos come back as window regulators. Searching for VW T6 door control modules brings up electric sliding door modules and sundry bits of other VAG cars.

I know eBay will only tell me what eBay currently have, so is there an easy place for me to get the OEM part numbers for power fold mirror retrofit for my MY2019 20 plate Caravelle?

Thanks

David

Edited to add:
I'm a muppet. I will withdraw under my rock and sorry for drawing attention to it!

Last edited:
Hope someone can help! I’ve started to fit the auto fold kit using eBay device and two relays. Im in search of the 2 required 12v supplies. I have the dashboard apart and access to the fuse box. I can tee off the red wire feeding the cigarette lighter for the permanent 12v but nowhere can I find a decent sized yellow/black ignition 12v. The one to the rear of the light switch is thin (as are all wires to the light switch) and I can’t find a yellow/black anywhere else! Can someone please point me to some suitable wires?

thanks in advance
Ian

Hope someone can help! I’ve started to fit the auto fold kit using eBay device and two relays. Im in search of the 2 required 12v supplies. I have the dashboard apart and access to the fuse box. I can tee off the red wire feeding the cigarette lighter for the permanent 12v but nowhere can I find a decent sized yellow/black ignition 12v. The one to the rear of the light switch is thin (as are all wires to the light switch) and I can’t find a yellow/black anywhere else! Can someone please point me to some suitable wires?

thanks in advance
Ian
You could piggy back any fuse from the upper half, centre row of the fusebox

Back