[Resolved] Delayed Engine starting when turning the key - out of fuel.

Littleblackflash

Auto Engineer
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Recently I've notice when I turn the key to start my van, nothing happens for a few seconds.

I'm turning the key and then releasing it straight away, whilst keeping my foot on the clutch the engine will start to crank after 3-4seconds. When it starts to crank, it instantly starts. Once warm, it starts to crank instantly. Its as if the glow plugs are taking longer to warm the cylinders. Is this a sign of the glow plugs failing?

Its a 65plate 102hp (chipped to xxx?), 47k

Mine can often take 3-4 secs to start cranking in the cold weather, the glow plug light remains lit then when it goes out the engine turns over. It seems pretty normal to me. Previous cars I’ve had allow the engine to crank while the glow plugs are heating, it makes more sense how the T6 does it.

That's a random one.... not come across that before.

Get a code scan done and report back the codes, if any.

Then maybe try a BCM/ECM reset.

How cold are we talking here?

-10 deg c ?

Last edited:
Mine can often take 3-4 secs to start cranking in the cold weather, the glow plug light remains lit then when it goes out the engine turns over. It seems pretty normal to me. Previous cars I’ve had allow the engine to crank while the glow plugs are heating, it makes more sense how the T6 does it.
I thought the glow-plugs started to warm up on the drivers’ door being opened?

I thought the glow-plugs started to warm up on the drivers’ door being opened?
A timeline of a T6 diesel engine start-up --->

its not cold here on the south coast. It's been doing it even when 12deg outside.

It maybe normal but its getting worse.

I'll check tomorrow to see if the glow plug remains on before cranking starts.

What happens if you turn the ignition on, wait 5 seconds, then try and start ?

Pete

Is the outside temperature being displayed correctly?

Mine does that when the battery is not charged enough, if I put it on a charger and get the battery charged again it fires up straight away. Have you been doing short trips or not using the van much, as this will cause delayed starting. Charge her up and see what happens.

Im intrigued by this one, something i have noticed across different brands in the past is that the glow plug light goes out after X seconds but the glow plugs are still energised even after the light has gone out, i know this is true on a variety of transits but never tested it on a transporter ?

Reactions: mmi
My T6 also has a delayed start from the turn of the key, seems to be much more evident on cold mornings so I've always thought it was dependent on cylinder head temperature / glow plug warm-up time. I've not scanned it recently but never had any faults show in the past that could be related to this.
I can't remember if the previous van a T5.1 was the same.

I might be wrong but I've noticed this and assumed that the engine won't start until the glow plugs have warmed enough to enable starting. Mine starts as soon as the glow plug light goes out.

Outside temp gauge is working fine.

Battery charge could be it. I normally do a 400m trip every couple of weeks when I'm racing but I've not done one for months. I've only been doing a few 2miles journeys recently and the odd 10mile run. I'll put it on charge and see if that makes a difference.

It always starts so I'm not too concerned. I was just wondering if its something wearing out that I should be aware off.

Im intrigued by this one, something i have noticed across different brands in the past is that the glow plug light goes out after X seconds but the glow plugs are still energised even after the light has gone out, i know this is true on a variety of transits but never tested it on a transporter ?
That was the case on the T3s, I assumed that it was still the same on these Transporters.

Probably also applicable to T6 diesel engine's glow plug pre/postheating, p. 65-66 in:

I’ve noticed the same on mine recently, if I turn the ignition on wait and turn the key it cranks strait away, if I get in and turn the key it doesn’t crank for a couple of seconds, once the needles have flipped up and back it starts to crank
my T5 didn’t do this but just assumed it’s because it’s got colder

Recently I've notice when I turn the key to start my van, nothing happens for a few seconds.

I'm turning the key and then releasing it straight away, whilst keeping my foot on the clutch the engine will start to crank after 3-4seconds. When it starts to crank, it instantly starts. Once warm, it starts to crank instantly. Its as if the glow plugs are taking longer to warm the cylinders. Is this a sign of the glow plugs failing?

Its a 65plate 102hp (chipped to xxx?), 47k
I've had the same problem recently, when its cold weather it is touch and go as to whether the van starts or not. I'm probably only using the van 3 times per week. This morning it just would not start at all , it slowly turned over a few times but would not fire up. I've took the battery out and put it on charge, hopefully that will cure it. I've never had to charge battery before, how long should I leave it on charge for ?

In case you newer guys don’t know, there’s a recall on battery software and replacement moll batteries for older T6’s.

Mine’s been very slow to turn over during the cold weather, not sure if it’s a dying battery or just the lack of a good run.

Back