[Resolved] Delayed Engine starting when turning the key - out of fuel.

@mmi Some VAG owners have found glow plug 'on' time differences in VCDS which have been been a contributing factor on cold starting.

Isn't there a coolant temperature trigger point for when the glow plugs are meant to switch on.. set in VCDS.. adjustable along with duration 'on' time.

Just another thought if the battery is ruled out but cold start problems persist, might be worth checking the settings / data comparison with others..

@mmi Some VAG owners have found glow plug 'on' time differences in VCDS which have been been a contributing factor on cold starting.
These measurement channels are the only ones (I'm aware of) which are related to engine glow plugs:
1609598074433.png
And nothing to adjust through adaptations.
Isn't there a coolant temperature trigger point for when the glow plugs are meant to switch on.. set in VCDS.. adjustable along with duration 'on' time.
At +20 C° (outside=coolant temperature) mine starts without glow plug preheat.
At +6 C° there is a preheat of 1.7 seconds.

I'm not aware if the timing can be changed. It is definitely function of outside/coolant temperatures - and worked fine even down to -32C°/-32C° - just takes a bit longer before starts cranking but fires up without hesitation.

1609600609204.png
However, this graph doesn't tell how long glow plugs are actually kept heated after engine has started.

So i gave the battery a good charge, it worked well for maybe a week but wont start today. Im going to purchase a new battery, is there any batteries that cause re- coding issues? when i search euro car parts for a vw t6 battery, there is different brands to choose from so are they all fully compatible ??

The battery is coded to the van for optimum charging from the alternator.... replace like for like unless you can recode the vehicle...

The brand is not as important as the battery type.
AGM or ordinary lead acid is your choice :thumbsup: .

I’m pretty sure that even if you replace the battery like for like, you still need to alter the serial number so that the alternator knows that it’s a new battery and not the old one.

and the
I’m pretty sure that even if you replace the battery like for like, you still need to alter the serial number so that the alternator knows that it’s a new battery and not the old one.
Who'd have thought replacing a battery would be so complicated. How would I alter the serial number ?

Our van is euro 5, does that make any difference ?

I dont have any means to code it, what happens if it is not coded ?
I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. The battery management in T6 is an old-fashioned one, so it doesn't have any history data. It's true that even this one keeps track how much charge is going in and out - on a short term view. Good news is that it adapts the "ageing" parameters (internal resistance and it's derivatives) based on what it actually sees.

So called coding indeed immediately resets "ageing" parameters to ones of new battery. However, the self adapting gradually will correct itself to the same what they would have been by the coding. Certainly the adaptation won't happen overnight but a week is enough.

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. The battery management in T6 is an old-fashioned one, so it doesn't have any history data. It's true that even this one keeps track how much charge is going in and out - on a short term view. Good news is that it adapts the "ageing" parameters (internal resistance and it's derivatives) based on what it actually sees.

So called coding indeed immediately resets "ageing" parameters to ones of new battery. However, the self adapting gradually will correct itself to the same what they would have been by the coding. Certainly the adaptation won't happen overnight but a week is enough.
So basically as long as its agm battery it will be ok ?

Did this get resolved? I have similar issue, ie turns over but does not start. Battery has been an issue lately and I had charged it before trying to start up. Even tried NOCO boost, still no joy (reckon that thing would start anything!) Now getting AA out on Homestart.

@EegsT6

sounds silly . . . but was it out of fuel?

has it been standing a long time?

you need to use a laptop to drive the fuel lift pumps from the tank . .

so if the fuel rail has drained down and got a airlock somehow then the fuel wont syphon through.

just a thought.

let keep us posted with the AA call out result.

@Dellmassive , there is fuel in the tank. Van has had periods of little use and we have had some issues with the battery. Probably made worse by me last week where it drained flat whilst I was connected to mains to charge the leisure battery and cool the fridge for a camping trip. I hadn't switched over to to the leisure battery so the fridge drained the van battery(which foes not chsrge from electric hook-up)....it was flat enough to reset the clock. This latest issue, turning over but not starting, is new and I agree is probably a consequential fuel problem. If the AA man can get me started I'm going to get it to an auto-electrics garage for a proper check. Loving van-life!

Back