Engine startup issue [Resolved]

Shortbread69

T6 Pro
All,

is this start sequence ok?

A video is worth a 1000 words. Hope you can see it below.

I have to say this only happens occasionally, but I don't like it! :)

I release the key on initial cranking then the engine takes a couple of seconds to get past the cranking on its own...

The rest of the time, engine starts one initial turn of the key.

No engine or Carista fault listed (except for 04987 which is now cleared and seem to refer to "glow plugs" according to Carista and VW)…

Van parked slightly uphill, battery around 12.5 v, engine started and stopped a couple of times today, so not completely cold.

Is this normal?

Fuel pump issue?

Electrical issue?

thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Van booked on Wednesday for Glow Plug Check.

G

thats odd . .

extended crank time, a slight miss fire, then normal run.

• does it just do it when cold?
  • does it start ok from hot?
  • possible fuel rail bleed down ?
  • possible glow plugs / control unit?

keep us posted with your findings.

Last edited by a moderator:
thats odd . .

extended crank time,

a slight miss fire,

then normal run.

does it just do it when cold?

does it start ok from hot?

possible fuel rail bleed down ?

possible glow plugs / control unit?

++++

keep us posted with your findings.

+++

Yes, weird, I have a feeling I have a bleed down issue but I am going to start from the top…

I have just realised that the battery fitted by the previous owner in February is the wrong type. Varta E96… not suitable for stop/start technology…

Might go some way explaining my never quite optimal starts on the electrical front.

Will get this swapped then take it from there, starting with glow plugs (I do get a fault code from Carista after all….) then will see.

Thanks for your AWESOME work on this forum, sir!

G

So... interestingly, I double checked the battery (on trickle charge overnight) and it is actually a Varta E39 Stop / Start...

And

1- No faults on Carista
2- No lengthy cranking despite being parked overnight in the same uphill position
3- Battery "fully charged" at 13.22v - Which is way more than I usually get - 12.65 reducing slowly...

So... what next lol

BD2 and OBD Eleven coming today anyway so will keep an eye on things much closer.

Maybe just too much of a parasitic draw on the battery...?

Surely a 6 months old battery hasn't failed yet?

Getting the glow plugs and battery checked tomorrow morning...

Glow plugs will not give fault codes as they are not directly monitored.
You will need to disconnect each one and measure their resistance with a meter.

Glow plugs will not give fault codes as they are not directly monitored.
You will need to disconnect each one and measure their resistance with a meter.

Thanks Loz, I think I will monitor the battery first. Started first time this morning with a full battery. May not be the plugs after all...

From what I read glow plugs are only activated below 14 deg C so as it’s August I think you can eliminate them.

From what I read glow plugs are only activated below 14 deg C so as it’s August I think you can eliminate them.
I think so too (even though I am in Scotland, it's not that cold ... yet! :) )

Either fuel supply or battery discharging.

Will start monitoring the battery when my BD" gets here later on...

Still think I have excess draw from the battery.

Try putting a multimeter across the battery terminals and see what the voltage drops to when cranking, the battery does appear to be labouring when starting.

So, still having fun with my initial startup of the day. Read a few threads about the fuel pump activating on “opening of the driver’s door“ and to be honest, this is not something I heard before.

So, thought I would check if the pump actually operates… and it does when I run the fuel supply test on OBDeleven. Can’t miss the noise. Loud and clear.

so, next question… if the pump runs for the Fuel Test, why does it not prime the engine on door opening or even key turning?

and if it doesn‘t, why is my engine running fine except for an initial delay on the first start of the day?

help… this is driving me insane…

surely the fuse is fine, the pump does run… is it a relay problem?

So, still having fun with my initial startup of the day. Read a few threads about the fuel pump activating on “opening of the driver’s door“ and to be honest, this is not something I heard before.

So, thought I would check if the pump actually operates… and it does when I run the fuel supply test on OBDeleven. Can’t miss the noise. Loud and clear.

so, next question… if the pump runs for the Fuel Test, why does it not prime the engine on door opening or even key turning?

and if it doesn‘t, why is my engine running fine except for an initial delay on the first start of the day?

help… this is driving me insane…

surely the fuse is fine, the pump does run… is it a relay problem?
I think it works OK. Actually the lift pump won't activate by door opening or even turning ignition on. It seems to activate approx. 0.2...0.3 seconds before cranking starts.
Below a VCDS data capture made at cold start (+11 °C) - CXEB engine
1629918745711.png

Fantastic, thank you again.

i fell a tad silly now looking for an early prime of the lift pump.

still on the lookout for the the reason behind my first longer crank of the day…

Last edited:
Morning all,

thought I would give you a quick update on my progresses…

Weeks of trying and still unable to resolve my intermittent slow / low cranking.

back to basics this morning…

Starter motor cleaned and all connections sprayed with contact/ignition fluid.

Gentle hammering of the starter.

Battery fully disconnected and ECU reset using the guide provided in the forum…

Van starts first time, with over 13v of cranking power… for the first time ever in my ownership

absolutely awesome.

Thank you to all of you who took the time to give me advice, produce the guides and answered other owners questions.

This forum is dynamite.

Back