High Mileage but many new parts...

poortomsacold

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or guidance on buying a van with high mileage. I'm looking to get my first T6. Have seen a really nice example that has 153k on the clock but has a FSH, had a new gearbox and clutch fitted 2 years ago and new cambelt and water pump last year.

As it's seemingly had all of the major work done fairly recently, is that sort of mileage a thing to be concerned about?

Thanks!

I think high mileage is fine as long as there is history there to show its been cared for and looked after, having things replaced when they should've been replaced. I bought my ex AA van on 143k but I have all the service history and know that the belts have been done. These engines are good engines and as long as they're looked after, will probably keep going. Pretty sure a friend of mine is on nearly 300k now

Depends on your outlook and what you're going to be using the van for I think. I bought mine over a year ago on 136k FSH. Couldn't afford one of these 70 grand space ships you see about.

You have to accept you're going to have to fork out for some mechanical repairs every now and again. I think the dual mass flywheel is going on mine for example.

I only do about 5k miles a year so I'm not too concerned about high mileage. If you're going to do loads of miles it might be a different story.

Depends on your outlook and what you're going to be using the van for I think. I bought mine over a year ago on 136k FSH. Couldn't afford one of these 70 grand space ships you see about.

You have to accept you're going to have to fork out for some mechanical repairs every now and again. I think the dual mass flywheel is going on mine for example.

I only do about 5k miles a year so I'm not too concerned about high mileage. If you're going to do loads of miles it might be a different story.
Yeah I wouldn't be doing huge miles in it - maybe 5 or 6k a year.

Bought mine 3 1/2 years ago on 95k. Now on 129k. Had a good initial service history all done less than 15k intervals, and I’ve over maintained it since. Oil change every 7k or less, EGR solution (ahem) to hopefully prevent internal self destruction, going to get the inlet manifold cleaned when I get chance in an attempt to prevent any future issues.
Only thing I expect to go at some stage is the biturbo.
If it’s got a good history just make sure that the price reflects the mileage. If you intend to keep it then great, but if you want to sell in a year or two with closer to 200k then it might be difficult to move on.

The fact that there are so many about with high mileage speaks volumes. Good history, and a good pre purchase inspection are key to getting a decent one. A lot of vans do high mileage in the first three or so years when they are earning a living. They will almost certainly be properly serviced because they are high cost items and need to be reliable. Also they often come with servicing packs/contracts.
After that time many get sold and then do much less annual mileage. Servicing intervals/quality can then sometimes vary,
Always worth studying the paperwork thoroughly. ( and keeping records for when you sell it on.

Lets just ignore the fact my old van is a bitdi 180... drive and suspension wise it feels amazing. I have a friend who has a Transporter with 30k miles on it and when buying my old Caravelle, with 130k miles on it, he said it will feel like a bunch of parts sort of moving in the same direction :)

When I picked it up he was amazed how nice it drove. We both did a Pepsi Challange on the two and he was amazed. Since then I rebuilt the front end with new polybushes, new discs and pads all round and some bigger Falken tyres. It drives amazing and so smooth, my kids says its quieter than our EV Merc

Hi

I was just wondering if anyone has any thoughts or guidance on buying a van with high mileage. I'm looking to get my first T6. Have seen a really nice example that has 153k on the clock but has a FSH, had a new gearbox and clutch fitted 2 years ago and new cambelt and water pump last year.

As it's seemingly had all of the major work done fairly recently, is that sort of mileage a thing to be concerned about?

Thanks!
If you’re worried, check out the mileages on this thread

Back