Renogy DC to DC

Jonner

T6 Pro
Hey guys I'm about to start fitting a renogy DC to DC there's something I don't really understand. It seems to be recommended to run a negative cable from starter battery along with positive so not using an earth point. I'm happy to run the cable but was wondering if it's beneficial.

Yes, in the wiring diagram they show going with a wire, but much better to use the van earth points. There is one under each seats, or near the wheelarch if you are at the back.

The booklet is figurative in its diagrams...

You should always use the vans chassis as the negative.

Make sure all conections are clean, good and tight.

Always fuse any battery conection.

Keep the 12v feed cables as short as possible.

The booklet is figurative in its diagrams...

You should always use the vans chassis as the negative.

Make sure all conections are clean, good and tight.

Always fuse any battery conection.

Keep the 12v feed cables as short as possible.
Just fuse positive connections though that's correct isn't it.

Thanks all this has answered my exact same question, (same hard ware as well)

Another add on question. My battery and charger are going to be under the drivers seat, the solar panel will come in the driver side rear of the van where it will have a 2 pole isolator. After the isolator should the negative just be bolted to the van earth point, or should this be run back to the charger?

Thanks all this has answered my exact same question, (same hard ware as well)

Another add on question. My battery and charger are going to be under the drivers seat, the solar panel will come in the driver side rear of the van where it will have a 2 pole isolator. After the isolator should the negative just be bolted to the van earth point, or should this be run back to the charger?
that depends on the type of MPPT charger.

if you have the Renogy combi DC-DC+MPPT DC50S or IP67 charger, then yes, just ground the PV neg to chassis.

but,

if you have a stand alone MPPT charger, like say a Victron 75/15 - then the PV POS & NEG should go ditrect to the MPPT.

eg:

1710603918713.png

thanks, I do have a Renogy combi DC-DC+MPPT charger.

Thats should save a few pennies on cable!

Back