Removing T6.1 gear knob (manual)

Threads merged - Ads_Essex 27/04/24

Can anyone please guide me through how to remove only the gear nob. I don't want to blunder in and butcher it. All I want to do is swap the nob - not the stick or the gator.
Many thanks
Creamytash

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes mate, the top with the H pattern on pops off then there's a T30 or T40 torx screw under it undo that. Pop the gear gaitor out and behind it there's a clamp loosen that and the knob with a bit of effort pulls off. If you get stuck give me a ring or nip down Monday for a brew and I'll do it

Thanks mate but this gear nob is on a T6.1 and appears to be all in one where the cap with the H on it is not remove able.

I have messaged you on Watsapp mate

To follow on from my post. My gesr nob is 'Rubber' and looks shite. I t appears to be moulded as all one part but I have been able to get a thin flat blade screwdriver under the rubber head with the H and gear numbers on it. I am just scared of being too brutal with it incase that bit is not meant to detach.

This is my gear nob - rubber ffs.

20240427_145120.jpg

20240427_145152.jpg

Can anyone please guide me through how to remove only the gear nob. I don't want to blunder in and butcher it. All I want to do is swap the nob - not the stick or the gator.
Many thanks
Creamytash
The gear knob that goes in your hand appears to be bonded to the plastic shaft.
I’ve quoted @Vinyl1210 and merged your thread with one @Rioja John started on the same topic, as some of those in the know might be able to give you some pointers! Good luck and give us as update when you can :thumbsup:

Can't seem to get a conclusive reply to my issue with the gear knob. I don't want to wreck the existing one to find it doesn't come off. I only want to remove the knob from the shaft - not change the entire assembly ofvthe stick, knob, gaitor and surround. Anyone out there taken one off before???
Thanks

From that video it looks as though the gear knob and gaitor are ‘one piece’ and will come off and need to be replaced together. Looks quite straight forward once the gaitor trim is removed.

Yeah, I've seen all the vids but they don't help me. Yes changing the complete item is simpled. For my own specific reasons I only want to change the knob on the shaft not the complete gaitor or surround.

For those of you with a T61 manual 6 speed gearbox with the tacky black rubber/plastic gear knob. I tooknthe bull by the horns and removed mine. First the cap showing the gear layout - that is moulded as part of the gear knob. I sliced the cap off with a stanley blade, then split the gear knob down each side with the stanley blade and peeled the rubber gear knob off like peeling and orange. Photos show the rubber gear knob and what was left under it which is bonded to the shaft. So for future ref - this is what you are getting into if you want to remove only the gear knob and not want to fit the whole new surround, gaitor, shaft and knob.

20240427_145152.jpg

20240428_124349.jpg

20240428_124415.jpg

20240428_124513.jpg

20240428_124838.jpg

For those of you with a T61 manual 6 speed gearbox with the tacky black rubber/plastic gear knob. I tooknthe bull by the horns and removed mine. First the cap showing the gear layout - that is moulded as part of the gear knob. I sliced the cap off with a stanley blade, then split the gear knob down each side with the stanley blade and peeled the rubber gear knob off like peeling and orange. Photos show the rubber gear knob and what was left under it which is bonded to the shaft. So for future ref - this is what you are getting into if you want to remove only the gear knob and not want to fit the whole new surround, gaitor, shaft and knob.

View attachment 238743

View attachment 238744

View attachment 238745

View attachment 238746

View attachment 238747
For sale: 6-speed gear knob in very good condition…. :whistle:

Back