Removable Towbar

BeePee

T6 Guru
Hi folks,

I have the factory fit towbar on my T6 T32. Towed the caravan for the first time and wow is it close to the bumper ! The caravan has one of the anti sway hitches so is a bigger head than normal.
Can you get a hitch ball thingy that extends further from the bumper ?

Hi folks,

I have the factory fit towbar on my T6 T32. Towed the caravan for the first time and wow is it close to the bumper ! The caravan has one of the anti sway hitches so is a bigger head than normal.
Can you get a hitch ball thingy that extends further from the bumper ?

You can buy towbar extensions, but i'm not sure it will work on the VW fixed towbar if it's the Westfalia one. The extensions i've seen are just like spacers that you use in the same principal as a wheel spacer.

If it's the Hymer in your Avatar, they normally run an Alko hitch, which is very bulky and i've seen them on outfits, where they are only a few millimetres from the rear bumper, but they don't catch. Bare in mind that once hooked to your towbar, the actual head of the hitch will only swivel as you drive, and not get any closer to the bumper. It's the Caravan side of the hitch that moves in and out for braking, so if it's not touched on your first outing, it probably never will. Just be careful when you unhitch if the Caravan, they can move forward slightly as they move back to the natural un-compressed position, and hit the bumper, but you probably already know that if you're a seasoned Caravanner.

However, if you are that worried, try contacting the towbar manufacture and see if they offer a slightly longer neck, depending on how it's fixed.

Last edited:
I have the VW fixed towbar on mine and yes, when hooked up it is very close to the bumper. It concerned me at first too but never been a problem. Just need to be a little careful hooking up.

We have the factory fit removable tow bar and an alko hitch and have towed at least 30-40 times last 2 years and no issues. Yes it is close but does not catch. Small piece of foam on the bumper would mitigate if you missed the ball.

I reverse park but there is no way I'd do it with this because I reckon a tight turn would have it hitting the bumper. I had to pull the unit straight so I could unhitch without hitting the bumper
Yes, it's the Hymer with the Al-Ko hitch.

I reverse park but there is no way I'd do it with this because I reckon a tight turn would have it hitting the bumper. I had to pull the unit straight so I could unhitch without hitting the bumper
Yes, it's the Hymer with the Al-Ko hitch.

That's not great then, specially when the Hymer has a longer A-frame than most other Caravans. I'd be emailing the tow bar manufacture, and asking if there's a longer neck option.

Or it's time for a motor mover :whistle:

I have reversed my unit multiple times even with a fairly extreme swing into a gate way. I have never had it touch.
Only thing I do before unhitching is to make sure I have pulled forward. As tourershine stated the ball/ head does not move only the overrun/compress. if it fits without touching you will be fine, just make sure you are careful hitching/unhitching.

I've towed for years but only last year back to caravans and using my swb Sprinter.
Always pull forward slightly to stretch the hitch but I even had to straighten up to make sure I never hit the bumper.
Going to fit a motor mover when it's in for a service in March
Some of the sites were a tight squeeze to reverse park. Sango Sands being one.
Parking on my drive too and lining up the wheel lock mount would be easier with a motor mover, am I now an auld duffer with my caravan and dsg 4motion ?

I have a detachable west falia tow bar on my t6 and yes it is close. Go motor mover, it's so handy for hitching and riding up a ramp to level out. I don't tend to take mine off and it doesn't interfere with the reverse parking sensors, but it might if the bar was stuck further out. Just a thought.

Perfect when hitched and towing I just need to make sure I'm pulled in line and the hitch is extended.........nightmare :);)

20190103-115601.jpg

It Looks a little closer than mine, but only by a couple of mm. I have done thousands of miles with no problem. I always apply the handbrake to the caravan they roll forward slightly to de-compress the hitch, seems to work.

Thanks bud.
It was in a showroom in Livingstone tucked away in a corner, fully loaded with extras, surround sound and leather to name a few. No-one bought it because of the retail price in 2017. We were looking to buy a new caravan in March 2018 and bought this instead after a £10k discount !! We love it, comfort and heating system is tremendous.
Brilliant combination now with the T6 and after just my first outing I reckon it's a better tow vehicle than even the Sprinter !

Thanks bud.
It was in a showroom in Livingstone tucked away in a corner, fully loaded with extras, surround sound and leather to name a few. No-one bought it because of the retail price in 2017. We were looking to buy a new caravan in March 2018 and bought this instead after a £10k discount !! We love it, comfort and heating system is tremendous.
Brilliant combination now with the T6 and after just my first outing I reckon it's a better tow vehicle than even the Sprinter !

If this is a new buy after a long break in Caravans, you've certainly jumped into it at the right end. People tend to shy away from European Caravans (although not so much with Motorhomes) and buy British because it's convenient and familiar, when in reality the European stuff is far better built, better residual value, less trouble and far nicer looking in my personal opinion. (albeit the door is on the other side, which I don't find an issue unless you use a CC site)
There's nothing wrong with a majority of the UK builds that are coming out lately, but the industry in general has been plagued with issues over the past few years, and only really pulling out their fingers in the last year or so. Hymer are top of their game and always have been. We work on some really old Hymers that would put more modern UK builds to shame.

Yep, bought it brand new after a 12 year break from caravans, couldn't turn it down, was cheaper than a new UK van and the build quality plus extras blows them away.

Only thing it hasn't got is a motor mover lol

I’ve got the same hitch and tow bar and the same gap, but does not touch, only sometimes like @Tourershine says when the hitch is compressed when you unhitch it pops out like a turtles neck

Oh and @BeePee if that’s where you attach your brake away cable you need to move it, it needs to be attached to some thing other then where the tow hitch is

Back