Tow-trust / Cruz compatability

DavidWNE

I'm looking to purchase a Cruz towbar platform to fit a storage box onto (as it offers tilt function and is cheaper than Thule).

Speaking to someone who already has this set up with a Westfalia detachable bar - the tailgate does not open due to catching the tensioning bar by around 10mm. However going off photos the Westfalia bar does look quite high up and close to the bumper.

I haven't fitted a towbar yet so keen to ensure I get one that allows for the tailgate to open. I've had quotes and all are for detachable Tow-Trust. Does anybody have one of these fitted to their T6/6.1 who would be willing to measure where the towing ball is positioned in relation to the rear bumper (height and distance away from the bumper), so that I can compare against the Westfalia? Or even better still have a Cruz system and can point me in the direction of a towbar brand that enables the tailgate to open?

Thank you all in advance!

Like to the cruz sytem: CRUZ Rear Cargo carrier system: base platform no. 940-535.

Does that help? T6 with Tow Trust swan neck detachable towbar.

I don't have the van anymore, so can't measure but took the pic for a previous post here.

Does that help? T6 with Tow Trust swan neck detachable towbar.

I don't have the van anymore, so can't measure but took the pic for a previous post here.
Hi Jay, thanks for the pic. It does look like ball is further away from the van than the Westfalia one which would help.

Did you opt for universal electrics (not dedicated)? Curious to know if everything functioned OK if you did (reverse sensors, lights on dash etc?).

Thanks again

We had the VW loom because the van was new ish & under warranty. So everything worked properly including seeing trailer assist & the parking sensors disabled. We ended up not towing much, see other posts about poxy caravan being damp but I'd get another one, super-solid.

We had the VW loom because the van was new ish & under warranty. So everything worked properly including seeing trailer assist & the parking sensors disabled. We ended up not towing much, see other posts about poxy caravan being damp but I'd get another one, super-solid.

Fair enough, I'm in a similar boat. Van is a year old but wanted to save a few quid, though i should probably just stop being tight!

Glad you would recommend to tow trust. I had no intention of towing anything but we are taking the van around Europe for 7 weeks and think we could do with the extra storage.

If you do a search, there was a couple of threads about the Tow Trust recently. One was by @Dellmassive about installing it and the other was a general discussion, so maybe not completely relevent but might be worth a look.

The other thing we liked was that the bar and electrics were practically invisible when the ball was removed.

I'm looking to purchase a Cruz towbar platform to fit a storage box onto (as it offers tilt function and is cheaper than Thule).

Speaking to someone who already has this set up with a Westfalia detachable bar - the tailgate does not open due to catching the tensioning bar by around 10mm. However going off photos the Westfalia bar does look quite high up and close to the bumper.

I haven't fitted a towbar yet so keen to ensure I get one that allows for the tailgate to open. I've had quotes and all are for detachable Tow-Trust. Does anybody have one of these fitted to their T6/6.1 who would be willing to measure where the towing ball is positioned in relation to the rear bumper (height and distance away from the bumper), so that I can compare against the Westfalia? Or even better still have a Cruz system and can point me in the direction of a towbar brand that enables the tailgate to open?

Thank you all in advance!

Like to the cruz sytem: CRUZ Rear Cargo carrier system: base platform no. 940-535.
Hi,

Which carrier did you go for? Im in the same boat and looking for something which will take a bike ever once in a while but is mainly for additional storage..

Thx

Hi @DavidWNE, I'm also looking at a Cruz Cargo Box and was wondering if you proceeded and it it did have the clearance to open when tilted with the Tow Trust? Would great to know how you got on.

Cheers

Alex

Back