Remap from the top dogs

Samgough

T6 Pro
hey all
May be a silly question but.... do vw do remapping? I read some where that a van had a remap from vw, I don't know how true that is but worth a ask

Cheers

Its correct they dont but there is a piggy back ECU chip thing that increases power a bit and doesnt invalidate your warranty but its silly money, four figures i think
Cant remember the name of it, possibly an ABT unit, @RattyMcClelland will know

I have to be very careful here but I used to create software (remaps) that were sold back mainland Europe but all had to be within a TUV specification, part of that spec was that we could not raise the charge pressure above the maximum factory figure and there were loads more obvious limitations in being TUV approved. They were all sold on with inflated power/torque claimed figures and in reality you could just about feel the difference at part throttle only.
I very much doubt VAG UK will ever offer remaps, they cant really cope with factory software updates so I doubt they have the manpower in the UK to offer and support remaps unless it came through ABT and was actually flashed ODIS as an FRF at the dealers as per they would carry out a dieselgate software update right now. It would be quite a tame remap though as they don't want to break a car under warranty.
BMW were pressured into offering official remaps on certain diesel models a few years back but had to include some hardware upgrades which made the retail cost close to 2k in the UK, they seem to have dropped this all together since the f series models were released.
The only remap that will be worthwhile will currently come from an independent tuner as they don't have to follow these approval guidelines and can push it a little harder. That said please be careful as there are more bad tuners (remappers/file suppliers/etc) out there than good ones, the decent ones still charge a decent price as they value their work so don't go for anything cheap and cheerful from ebay or man in van willing to do your remap in a car park.
Also one thing, probably the most important thing is that your drivetrain warranty will be voided if VAG have any reason to go looking at your ECU/DSG software. If they find that it is modified then your vin will be flagged and future drivetrain warranty claims will be effected. Latest ODIS software can now also see if the ecu has been manipulated and then removed (back to stock) so be careful if any tuner sells you software and says that it is hidden from dealer diagnostics, its a big fat lie and they know it. Some offer you a free back to stock flash for servicing but this is now useless as well. If you have any concerns at all over warranty then don't remap until its out of its manufacturers period.

I came across this article from one of the VW Enthusiast Mags, about 4 months ago
I have no idea where their info comes from, but think VW will offer remaps
They could sell a minor software tweak for £700 a pop all day long.
I Have a volvo xc60, I bought the Polestar remap, really improves the drivability power only sent up by 30bhp, with more torque as well; plus you keep the warrantee, and it has some value second hand. £600 well spent
If I was a VW shareholder I would want VW to do this and make some very easy money. We all know good remaps don't cause more warrantee problems.
IMG_3196.JPG

Last edited:
I agree with you, lots do it, like you say Volvo/polestar, ford/mountune, etc but VAG never shown any signs of it. The tiguan in the article just had the powerplant from the 240ps Passat, it was not a 177/184 with a remap.
When it comes to ABT, I have only seen software from them about 15 years ago and it was......well lets just say, have a close look at a current bodykit for the T6 and ask the fitters what they think of it, not sure I would pay good money for their other products based upon these!!

I agree with you, lots do it, like you say Volvo/polestar, ford/mountune, etc but VAG never shown any signs of it. The tiguan in the article just had the powerplant from the 240ps Passat, it was not a 177/184 with a remap.
When it comes to ABT, I have only seen software from them about 15 years ago and it was......well lets just say, have a close look at a current bodykit for the T6 and ask the fitters what they think of it, not sure I would pay good money for their other products based upon these!!
I guess the 240bhp, is the same power plant as the 204bhp in a T6, just a different map?
I think they were just illustrating a potential/possible power lift, not an actual one.

no Passat is a one off engine, massive fuel injection pressure and twin turbo (compound) to give 176kw. Very complicated turbo set up but was capable of combined pressure or 3.8bar....I am not making this up...honest gov ; )

no Passat is a one off engine, massive fuel injection pressure and twin turbo (compound) to give 176kw. Very complicated turbo set up but was capable of combined pressure or 3.8bar....I am not making this up...honest gov ; )
You know about 1,000,000 times more than me on the subject
The link below is from a a really well established German tuner
There is an english language button in the top left hand side
Three different tunes.
Willkommen bei B&B Automobiltechnik - Ihr Tuner für VW & Audi Fahrzeuge

engine management has been my life since 1999, the reason I am seeing this lot quickly is because I am working on a Ford ranger 3.2d engine management file for a client who does not have a clock. Not here to start selling remaps though, I am here because I own a t6, in fact on my fourth model of T5. Always had a VW love though as first car was a beetle, then more beetles, splits and bays etc. All happened pretty much as the Volksworld magazine was born and it went from there

Do you think the Tiguan R 240bhp, is the same engine as a T6 204?

Back