Reimo or VW Awning Rail?

Apretext

Edition Kombi 150PS
VIP Member
T6 Pro
So, yet another decision that needs making. Our converter will fit either the Reimo or the VW rail, they are both same price, apparently the VW one looks a bit neater, but I can't find any pictures of it. The Reimo one seems to have an integral gutter, which I assume the VW one doesn't?

Which would people recommend? Does anyone have the VW one? Any pictures?

Ta!

I have the Reimo rail which does a great job of keeping the water out of the open window at drive thrus etc, but I do think the VW one looks neater.

1589540198138.png

Hmm. The VW one does look neat. Would water not run along the top and down the windscreen on the VW one, or is that just wishful thinking?

The VW one also has a similar windscreen end, in that the water that is captured on top of the rail runs off, directionally, onto the windscreen. Forgive the dirtiness of the following picture, but this is what is looks like;

IMG_8348.JPG

Was considering the Reimo one but that VW one looks pretty neat.
Anyone have a price and happen to know if the VW one is bonded or screwed/bolted in some way?:thumbsup:

Edit; found it here

Just my two penneths worth....I had this VW one bonded on, that was almost 2 years ago...its never let me down....and obviously never leaks ;)

The Van-X one would appear to be a copy of the genuine one, the genuine one doesn't appear to have a split at the screen end.

Not yet, the conversion company will be installing it, but that’s the one we’ve specified to them. I’ll post photos when it’s done :)

Not yet, the conversion company will be installing it, but that’s the one we’ve specified to them. I’ll post photos when it’s done :)
:thumbsup:
I was wondering part numbers and cost if you have either to hand.

Hi @saxoboy,

just wondering if I could ask a question about the genuine awning rail. Does it accept a 6mm Kador strip??? I seem to recall the California ones needed an additional fill strip??? I could be wrong or they have updated the rail.

I really like the look of the genuine rail, but don’t really want an additional item to make work.

Many Thanks

Tim

F6AAD6E6-2D8B-4664-8140-5E7A5A4511E4.jpeg

We went with the Reimo one in the end, the VW one apparently takes a 7mm bead, which would mean we would have to use the Kador strip to attach our sky canopy to it.

Hi @t5TEC Tim, I must admit, for me, it was trial and error.....I have an Outdoor Revolution Kombi 5 drive away awning, so I thought the outdoor revolution 'drive away' kit I should buy....wrong...not with the VW Cali rail....it does need a kador strip of at least 8mm....I managed to get a new kador strip 8mm to 6mm...but I cannot for the life of me, find out where I got it from...and its invisible looking in google...weird!....However, it looks like something better is available....the Kampa Dometic Twic Driveaway Fixing kit as per the pic below.....about £25 and it will work with any rail....having found this I am now going to buy one of these, as when we last used the kador strip we used it with the outdoor revolution canopy (which is great because it can be used as a canopy on the front of the awning, or just as a canopy directly fixed to the van) ...it was windy and the strip was pulled out a little....this kit widens the fixing to 10mm, with the 6 & 4mm beads going into the rail......cant get better than that....Matt

1597316947530.png

Just my two penneths worth....I had this VW one bonded on, that was almost 2 years ago...its never let me down....and obviously never leaks ;)
Hi out of interest did you do this yourself or get it done for you? What was used to bond it to the van? Is it still ok? Thanks

Hi @Skyliner33 no I got Hinkley WRX to fit the rail, bonded it with some really sticky stuff that in 2+ years has stayed on the van and not budged with an awning on. It looks as good today as it did when I went to pick up the van with it on :)

Back