Reimo Multirail

Sjbso2000

Scott & Jenson
VIP Member
Good evening all.

I purchased the Reimo Multirail from Kiravans and installed today.

I followed their install video and I believe I may have made a mistake in following the advice.

The problem; I drilled the holes 3.2mm as stated in the video. However, some screws aren’t tightening. I believe the drill diameter recommendation is too large.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Admittedly, I didn’t following the instructions provided, and the video I watched may be out of date, I.e. the screws provided now are smaller (?).

I think I’m going to have to swap the screws out! Not a big job. I just wanted to reach out.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

Not one of those YouTube videos? Pick up some nice larger stainless screws and make it a proper job... Sika as well?

It was Kiravans own video! Yes, sika as well.

I will pickup some SS, I just need to find a table to work out the diameter with a 3.2mm hole. I’ll try for 6mm which should just fit the dia. of the hole in the rail, but will probably be too big to sit flush in the rail.

Thanks.

Last edited:
What’s in a name? I’ve been shocked @ several videos on YT. The Kiravan’s video on fitting a diesel heater is not 1 I would follow.
I assume you’re going to use self tapping screws? Maybe no. 8’s would be best.

Considering the instructions received were in German, I thought it a wise move. We live and learn!

Yes, self tapping! Thanks for the advice

I've always hated self tapping screws and will try my hardest to never use them on my van. Is it possible to use a rivnut? Will be far stronger and wont ever pull through.

Agreed, SS rivnuts are my favourite if they fit the solution.

To be fair to Kiravans - the 3.2mm drill size comes straight from the Reimo instructions ( in german)

Simon

Whats the diameter of the supplied screw?

if some are biting and some not I dont think you need to go up too much

Has anybody successfully fitted a Reimo Multirail without screws just using adhesive?
I don’t relish the idea of drilling into my converted van, especially as the holes are very close to the wiring loom.
My thoughts are that if the surfaces are well prepared the adhesive should be strong enough for a sun shade / light awning.
Opinions and previous experiences please.

Has anybody successfully fitted a Reimo Multirail without screws just using adhesive?
I don’t relish the idea of drilling into my converted van, especially as the holes are very close to the wiring loom.
My thoughts are that if the surfaces are well prepared the adhesive should be strong enough for a sun shade / light awning.
not tried myself. . .

but id assume going by the surface area of the back of the rail . . . . it would work.

you would just have to ensue the rail was held tightly in place until the adhesive set ( 3days maybe) - this would be hardest part of it?

im thinking gaffer tape to hold? - and leave for 3 days?

not tried myself. . .

but id assume going by the surface area of the back of the rail . . . . it would work.

you would just have to ensue the rail was held tightly in place until the adhesive set ( 3days maybe) - this would be hardest part of it?

im thinking gaffer tape to hold? - and leave for 3 days?
Gaffer tape maybe. Also considered putting some aluminium rod in the groove and then fixing both ends.
I think I’ll have to buy it and see how stiff it is, more than one way to skin a cat. Anything but nailing it on.

Gaffer tape maybe. Also considered putting some aluminium rod in the groove and then fixing both ends.
I think I’ll have to buy it and see how stiff it is, more than one way to skin a cat. Anything but nailing it on.
Be interesting to see how this pans out.

The rails, when delivered are straight. You need the screws to bend it to the contour of the van. Adhesive wouldn't do it.

The screws go in to a boxed section across the edge of the van. The wiring loom is under the box section on the inside. There's no worry about hitting a wire.

Back