Fiamma or Multirail - Any regrets or advice?

borat

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all

I am still torn between getting Fiamma F45 installed to our conversion, or a Reimo multirail, with the option of then installing a wind out awning to it. The van will be a daily driver so I am wondering if having one fitted will be something that I regret. Also, I will definitely be wanting a driveway awning for longer trips. I think these can fit into the side of the Fiamma or to the multirail, but can anyone confirm? For those who have the multi-rail, are the awnings that attach to it compact when packed away or do they take up a lot of room? Has anyone else gone the route of having the multirail and just fitting the wind out awning when you go away?

Lastly, has anyone got regrets in either direction or changed approach due to experiences with one or the other?

Thanks

We have multi-rails on both sides & use a Reimo Palm Beach awning. Cheap & cheerful & does the job. I wanted a wind out awning but was overruled by SWMBO, she said it would look like a plumber’s van.
Having used the van for 5 years I don’t miss the wind out awning & the £100 Reimo is still going strong.

I've got a multi rail and a Kiravans Railsail awning (as well as a Vango Airbag Sun Canopy which I don't use!). IMHO, the Railsail is more versatile but probably takes a few more minutes than than a 'pull / wind out' Fiamma to set up and I suspect it [the reailsail] would be able to withstand worse weather conditions. IMHO, another plus point is that I haven't got an ugly long box stuck on the van either.

Thanks all. It’s the plumbers van dilemma that is swaying me lol. I hadn’t considered rails on both sides either. Hmm.

How compact are the basic canopies you have when packed up? The attraction of the windout was having it instantly there if you pull up somewhere nice. If I knew I could have one easily stashed for a rail system I think this would seal the deal for rails over wind out.

Thanks all. It’s the plumbers van dilemma that is swaying me lol. I hadn’t considered rails on both sides either. Hmm.

How compact are the basic canopies you have when packed up? The attraction of the windout was having it instantly there if you pull up somewhere nice. If I knew I could have one easily stashed for a rail system I think this would seal the deal for rails over wind out.
Our palm beach is about the size of a roll of wallpaper when it’s packed away. Takes no more than 5 mins to put up/ take down.

I haven't got access to my Kiravans Railsail at the moment but IIRC when folded/rolled with a couple of poles, it's about 60 cm x 15cm. The Vango Sun Canopy is a bit bigger. If you want exact dimensions, I can measure them up tomorrow.

Thanks Ayjay don't worry rough size above is fine.. I think small enough to find a spot. Given that nobody has yet popped up to make a case for the wind out awning (which seems is still possible to fit to multi-rail anyway).. I think this is enough to make my mind up and go with the multirail.. For the same fitted price as the wind out awning I can get the rail, a canopy and decent drive away awning!

I fitted a Reimo multirail and love it. parking without the look of a Fiamma F45 hanging on the side. I will fit Reimo to other side this year.
IMG_0759.JPG

Got to look hard to see it when parked up.
IMG_0867.JPG

Last edited:
I’m going to have a go at clamping drive away awning to the roof rail dunno if it will work
I've just bought a driveway awning & am wondering if I can get away with attachin
it to my roof rails to begin with & then potentially fitting a multirail at a later date. How did you get on clamping yours to your roof rails?

Hi all

I am still torn between getting Fiamma F45 installed to our conversion, or a Reimo multirail, with the option of then installing a wind out awning to it. The van will be a daily driver so I am wondering if having one fitted will be something that I regret. Also, I will definitely be wanting a driveway awning for longer trips. I think these can fit into the side of the Fiamma or to the multirail, but can anyone confirm? For those who have the multi-rail, are the awnings that attach to it compact when packed away or do they take up a lot of room? Has anyone else gone the route of having the multirail and just fitting the wind out awning when you go away?

Lastly, has anyone got regrets in either direction or changed approach due to experiences with one or the other?

Thanks
Hi There
I've been struggling with this for a while. Van used everyday and regularly needs to go under height barriers locally. Like the notion of a Fiamma wind-out but that will mean some height barriers will be a major issue. Plus I don't want a Fiamma on all year round. We have used a cheap sun awning attached to a multirail but it's a bit painful to put up and needs guy ropes etc. What solution did you decide on?

I went reimo and haven’t regretted it. We use a vango cove 2 and now we can put it up in 10m or so it’s not an issue. Have an outdoor revolution canopy as well which I got for one night trips, but haven’t tried it yet (this weekend hopefully!). Ours is daily driver also and I’d not swap.

@Qnapper regarding the awning rail - I purchased 2 for near and far side.
The rails have a bend at either end to follow the window recess but once screwed to attatch in the middle, will have to be pushed onto the van to fit. Is this correct ? Any other tips please ?
Thanks.
Matt.

Vamoose fitted me a multi rail on a previous van. Fitting cost was next to nothing. Wasn’t worth the effort and was passing there anyway. Good bit of kit.

With these brackets you can have both. A Multirail with a removable Fiamma.

Half the bracket stays flat on the van permanently (in the gutter of the rail) and is out of view when the Fiamma is removed.

Jump to 4:20 in this German vid to see it in action.

I haven't got access to my Kiravans Railsail at the moment but IIRC when folded/rolled with a couple of poles, it's about 60 cm x 15cm. The Vango Sun Canopy is a bit bigger. If you want exact dimensions, I can measure them up tomorrow.

Back