Recall - belt tensioner

Mine due it's first service in 700miles according to the MFD, my current mileage is 24000, have I missed something here, is it supposed to be 20000 miles for the first service????
24k or 24 months is defined in the owners manual to retain the VW warranty -fact not opinion

I have a 2015 euro 5 140 and just to add something of my own issue, I contacted vw a while back and was told mine didn’t come under the service campaign I was getting the various belt squealing noises that everyone is complaining about. Although I had a dayco aux belt and contitech cam belt, I replaced all pulleys, water pump and tensioner and the noise has disappeared. So although there is a gates belt issue the tensioner and pulleys I would think are common to all.

getting the various belt squealing noises

Did you try replacing the Auxiliary belt and tensioner first? In my experience it is these that cause the rotational squealing noises rather than cam belt etc.

Did you try replacing the Auxiliary belt and tensioner first? In my experience it is these that cause the rotational squealing noises rather than cam belt etc.

I wish I hadn't seen this but I recently had my belts and pulleys changed and now I have occasional cold start squeals which were never there before.... Gates belt too...

@Dilbert no I had decided to do the timing belt anyway as it’s over 4yrs old and time seemed to be as important as the mileage

i have had 4 2017, 2018 t6's go into vw to have this issue fixed over the past few years

its a common issue that the aux belt tensioner goes dry and causes screeching noises on cold start

all mine have been under warranty, last time the vw assist guy said he will just fix it himself, but i had a driveshaft cv faliure so it went into vw for the fix

Just to add to the thread 2017 T6 150, started squealing on cold start up, took into VW and they have just replaced the Aux Belt and tensioner under warranty.

If the recall was made in August 2017 how can there still be vans out there that are just getting the recall work done, over 3 years later. I thought that VW contacted the owners?

Anyone have any idea of a reasonable cost for replacing the tensioner? And should it be cheaper if done at the same time as the cam belt, water pump and aux belt? Thanks

Anyone have any idea of a reasonable cost for replacing the tensioner? And should it be cheaper if done at the same time as the cam belt, water pump and aux belt? Thanks
Yes it should be cheaper if done at the same time as the cam belt……. It’s only 5 minutes more work.
As for parts cost, see VW spares dept or TPS.

Could someone supply part numbers please for the replacement parts please? Had a minor service this week and only just been informed today about this but the dealer won't touch it as they don't have the "tools" . I've only been using the dealer for the last 12 years on and off and 4 years for the van services.

Could someone supply part numbers please for the replacement parts please? Had a minor service this week and only just been informed today about this but the dealer won't touch it as they don't have the "tools" . I've only been using the dealer for the last 12 years on and off and 4 years for the van services.
Depends on your engine. For my 2017 CXGB 102BHP EU6 the part number was 04L 145 289L for the aux belt tensioner. The original part number ended in a B, so there have been lots of revisions since 2017.

VW recommend a new bolt too.

As for tools, they need a M12 Spline, a 4mm pin to lock it, a 16mm ring spanner and a torque wrench that reads down to 50NM. Pretty standard stuff really.

Last edited:
Back