Rear tails on as DRL's

Evening all,

I've searched the forum but the answer seems inconclusive. Can I activate the rear lights with front DRL (H7)?

On the Golf I know it's called 'Scandinavian DRL'. I have found one option in VCDS but it also illuminates at sides lights which I don't want.

I did see a post that mentioned using parking lights on with terminal 15 which I will try. If anyone can help, that would be awesome!!

Kev

Evening all,

I've searched the forum but the answer seems inconclusive. Can I activate the rear lights with front DRL (H7)?

On the Golf I know it's called 'Scandinavian DRL'. I have found one option in VCDS but it also illuminates at sides lights which I don't want.

I did see a post that mentioned using parking lights on with terminal 15 which I will try. If anyone can help, that would be awesome!!

Kev
Yes that’s correct.
in VCDS Module 09 Byte 12 Bit 0 Parking Lights ON with "Terminal 15 ON"

Just gave this a go but the side lights are also active. The hunt continues

Ah ok. Hadn’t noticed as I have LED’s and the side lights are the DRL‘s too.

Evening all,

Kev
This is impossible to achieve via coding modification on H7 headlamp setup.
And the reason is quite simple ---> front and rear side lights are fed together by dedicated BCM outputs (one for RHS and one for LHS).

Everyday is a school day! This is a VCDS mod I’d welcome. (I might have to dip my toe in the murky waters of VCDS land!)

This is impossible to achieve via coding modification on H7 headlamp setup.
And the reason is quite simple ---> front and rear side lights are fed together by dedicated BCM outputs (one for RHS and one for LHS).
Impressive knowledge!

If it's dull enough to need your rear lights on, surely it's dull enough to require dipped headlights to be on? There's a switch on the dashboard for that.

Thanks @Robert

For clarity for anyone reading this thread:

Due to the wiring configuration of the T6, H4 and H7 headlights can not have the rear side lights enabled without the front side light being enabled.

If you have OEM led or aftermarket LED like THQ the this can be enabled because the led strip acts as both a sidelight and DRL.

@dubber36 sometimes it's form over function. If you have led rear lights why would you not want those puppies lit up?

If it's dull enough to need your rear lights on, surely it's dull enough to require dipped headlights to be on? There's a switch on the dashboard for that.
I think the benefit of DRLs when it isn’t dull has been accepted....why not adopt the “Volvo” approach and have tail lights lit also?!!

OK, I get the vanity. I have my headlight switch turned to dip permanently at this time of year to have my HIDs in the THQ lights blaring.

When I had H7s, I might be wrong, but seem to remember the DRLs remaining on with side lights, then turning off with dipped beam. Would it be possible to activate Parking lights ON with Terminal 15 ON, then simply pull the sidelight bulb holder out of it's hole and stuff it inside the headlight? Or even just remove the bulbs and turn off bulb monitoring. You could only really do this if you didn't need to use 'parking lights' and could easily reverse it for the MOT.

If you have OEM led or aftermarket LED like THQ the this can be enabled because the led strip acts as both a sidelight and DRL.

Except the DRL dims when it acts as a sidelight, therefore losing its effectiveness as a DRL

@dubber36 I'm glad we agree on the vanity, this is the dub scene after all ;)

I thought the same as you but to be honest it's not worth the hassle (I don't think). My realistic option is to stick the sidelight behind the reflector and add a dummy in its place. The you don't get side light with headlight. I could test it and see though :slow rofl:

If I can't get to it without taking the bumper off then it's not happening. I'm sick of having the bumper off lol

My biggest reason for doing this mod is to not be that person driving down the rainy foggy motorway with no rear lights on because I think that since I can see my front lights reflected in the car in front of me then I must be OK all round

Yet how many cars and vans do you see doing exactly that?
I had a Bentley come past me one evening, it was Matt Black, bright as f##k DRL's at the front, nothing at the rear, as soon as it passed me it disappeared.

I saw a Range Rover in the same state today. What I don't understand is that these cars will have Auto Headlights. So dipped beam will come on when light levels are low enough, or it's raining, or they are traveling over 140KPH. I can only imagine they have their headlight switch turned to OFF. Why would anyone do that?

The downside of Auto Lights is that they don't know when it's foggy if the ambient light levels are high enough, so you'll get people with headlights switched to Auto, assuming that their lights will come on.

@Grim Reaper I would have thought that the fact that you notice other drivers inability to use their headlights appropriately means that you shouldn't need help from your van to know when you need to turn them on.

Reactions: CAB
The downside of Auto Lights is that they don't know when it's foggy if the ambient light levels are high enough

Not a problem with the T6 then, my headlights seem to be on permanently at the moment :rolleyes:
They were even on in bright sunlight the other day.

Back