Rear tails on as DRL's

8balladdict

VCDS User
T6 Guru
Hi all,

So I did all the basic coding last night (Alarm lock beep, needle sweep, digital speed thingy, seat belt warning etc etc). I then went and ordered some LED tail lights so wondered if anyone has set them to be on with the DRL's? I didn't see the option while looking through the coding section and I've not looked at the adaptation stuff too deeply yet but just wondered if anyone knows if it is actually possible?

Cheers all....

I had a look today and there was no obvious options to do this.

Yeah, I had another look today and couldn't see anything either. Real shame as it would look smart with the LED's on too.

Drl rear lights are not used from oem as people mistake them for brake lights during daytime driving, for this reason you will never see it happen.

??????????

Module 9
Byte 12
Bit 0
Parking Lights ON with "Terminal 15 ON"

Think it will force front sidelights on also ?

I tried it on mine and it illuminated the rears when I keyed on but was messing with led headlights so not sure what effect it has up front would guess it leaves sidelights on permanently too

Hi all,

So I did all the basic coding last night (Alarm lock beep, needle sweep, digital speed thingy, seat belt warning etc etc). I then went and ordered some LED tail lights so wondered if anyone has set them to be on with the DRL's? I didn't see the option while looking through the coding section and I've not looked at the adaptation stuff too deeply yet but just wondered if anyone knows if it is actually possible?

Cheers all....
I tried this today. If you have LED front & rear lights, ticking the "parking lights with terminal 15" option, switches on the rear LEDs with the front DRLs. As the front LED DRLs are also the sidelights, nowt changes at the front, but you get the rear LEDs on. Result

I tried this today. If you have LED front & rear lights, ticking the "parking lights with terminal 15" option, switches on the rear LEDs with the front DRLs. As the front LED DRLs are also the sidelights, nowt changes at the front, but you get the rear LEDs on. Result
Why would you want this, surely if the visibility was poor enough to need your rear lights then your headlights would be on anyway? Also wouldn't it dim your front DRLs if they double up as sidelights?

Why would you want this, surely if the visibility was poor enough to need your rear lights then your headlights would be on anyway? Also wouldn't it dim your front DRLs if they double up as sidelights?
It doesn't dim the DRLs & why not have the rearr
it doesn’t dim the DRLs & why wouldn’t you want them on? You could use the same argument against front DRLs

it doesn’t dim the DRLs & why wouldn’t you want them on? You could use the same argument against front DRLs

I imagine @andys is thinking about the ineffectiveness issue when running taillamps in bright sun - people don’t always notice when you are braking.

This setting coupled with the setting that turns off DRLs when indicating actually do cause the DRLs to dim when indicating and if you turn on the parking brake setting they also dim when the handbrake is on

Fair dos if it's the look you like, was just wondering if there was a benefit I hadn't thought of. I know that DRLs are dimmed if sidelights or headlights are on to avoid dazzling oncomers and thought that if this was making the BCM think the sidelights were on then it would do the same.

Drl rear lights are not used from oem as people mistake them for brake lights during daytime driving, for this reason you will never see it happen.
Quite a few cars now have "rear DRLs", Range Rovers, Jags, my daughter's Audi, the higher end Volvos, Renault Kadjar. These are just a few I spotted on the road today whilst driving home from CamperJam.

Quite a few cars now have "rear DRLs", Range Rovers, Jags, my daughter's Audi, the higher end Volvos, Renault Kadjar. These are just a few I spotted on the road today whilst driving home from CamperJam.
I think they must have also been altered to do that unless they'd switched their lights on, I've just swapped my Jag for a Volvo V90 Cross Country and my daughter has just swapped her Audi for a Polo GTI and none of those have their rear lights on with DRL only.

Hey guys, for those who would like to enable rear lights on when DRL are on (i.e. when ignition is on) you can do this if you have a Carista OBD2 device. Just select ‘PARKING LIGHTS ON WHEN IGNITION ON’ in the customisation settings. Easy Peasy!

and actually quite a few new cars have this configuration as standard, certainly my 2019 Range Rover Velar does.

With switch in auto my front drl/ sidelights are on and the rears are on, its standard for europe, every car has it. I do even believe that regulations changed a few years ago that rears must also be on.

With switch in auto my front drl/ sidelights are on and the rears are on, its standard for europe, every car has it. I do even believe that regulations changed a few years ago that rears must also be on.
And that’s why we have 3rd high level brake lights.

Back