T6.1 Rear Cluster Issue

buckshanks

VIP Member
Hi all, short time lurker, first time poster.

Today I noticed an issue with my rear light cluster where one part of the tail lights go out when the brake light comes on, I've attached a link to a video of the issue on my Dropbox.

I've had this problem before on another car but with old filament clusters where the bulbs were put in incorrectly, I didn't think it was possible with LED!

I think they're stock LED clusters that have been smoked, but they may be aftermarket. They were on the van already when I bought it. Has anyone seen anything like it before, what should I look out for if I take the clusters off?

Thanks in advance

LED clusters are sealed, there will be nothing to see. They look aftermarket to me, have they always behaved like this?

LED clusters are sealed, there will be nothing to see. They look aftermarket to me, have they always behaved like this?
As far as I'm aware, yes. It's the first time I'd seen the brake lights come on with my own two eyes, as in, not in a reflection. It's both sides, too, so it's not like its water ingress and a short, unless I'm very unlucky.

It may be deliberate so that the brake action is more obvious, especially if they behave the same both sides.

I know there are regulations about minimum distance between brake lights and fog lights that mean in some clusters the brake light area is smaller when the fog lights are on, this may be similar.

Out of interest what bits of yours light up for fog lights?

It may be deliberate so that the brake action is more obvious, especially if they behave the same both sides.

I know there are regulations about minimum distance between brake lights and fog lights that mean in some clusters the brake light area is smaller when the fog lights are on, this may be similar.

Out of interest what bits of yours light up for fog lights?
I'll check today!

Back