Rear spring removal

Hi guys - really quick one, trying to swap in some T30 springs into my T28 (rear only) but even with the shocks dropped I can’t get the springs out.

mom guessing I’m going to need a spring compressor but should I have undone more than just wheel and shock?!

cheers

Hi guys - really quick one, trying to swap in some T30 springs into my T28 (rear only) but even with the shocks dropped I can’t get the springs out.

mom guessing I’m going to need a spring compressor but should I have undone more than just wheel and shock?!

cheers
Have you undone both shocks?

Got a pic?

Both sides up on axel stands.?

ArB keeping it up?

Independent rear suspension,

But the ARB connects the two together with the body....

So rear of the van up on stands, and done together.

Ahhh man!!! Now I feel like an idiot. Why didn’t I think that ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
No I was trying to do a side at a time... even next door, a time served hgv mech, was stumped

Lol . . . . . Glad we could help.

Anti roll bar - that ll be your problem lady.... ( YT South main autos refrence)

It's not that simple, at least for a 2019 T6 in Australia. Even with a shock disconnected and BOTH ends of the ARB disconnected, I had about 120kg (2 people) weighing down the wheel hub before I could get a spring back into its place (after I had removed it to do some comparison tests). I would have had no chance if I had been trying to add an upper spacer. Does one sometimes have to disconnect the main wishbone joint/s as well? Thanks, Tim.

If you can't get the spring in with the damper and the arb disconnected on both sides, I doubt you'd be able to get the bolts back in if you removed them from the arm/chassis mount.
Are you sure you have the right length springs?

Just did this myself on a 4motion. I used a bottle jack to lower the suspension arms just enough to squeeze out the spring and in with a new. Worked well.

OK . . . well, the pro workshop men chose to unbolt the shafts when they did mine. I expect they might have been concerned about over-stressing the shafts or the bushes by forcing the arm down that far. Cheers.

Reactions: DXX
Hi All,
looks like brake lines will be in the way on t6 t30 4mo - see photos - Anyone know if enough clearance can be gotten?, or can the lines be moved?.
Would be doing this on driveway…
Thanks.

F0991718-277B-4852-8965-2414DD4624F9.jpeg

E01BCBDC-024A-4E6E-AED3-ECDF9175AEBC.jpeg

I didn't have to move brake lines on my T28 non 4motion, just released both ends of the ARB while level (the bar needs to be under no tension), then undo both bottom damper bolts when up in the air and the arms had enough motion to release the springs.

I didn't have to move brake lines on my T28 non 4motion, just released both ends of the ARB while level (the bar needs to be under no tension), then undo both bottom damper bolts when up in the air and the arms had enough motion to release the springs.
@Grim Reaper - Thanks for your reply, does your t28;have same metal piped lines running along the control arm as in the photo?

Hi All,
looks like brake lines will be in the way on t6 t30 4mo - see photos - Anyone know if enough clearance can be gotten?, or can the lines be moved?.
Would be doing this on driveway…
Thanks.

View attachment 189068

View attachment 189069
You won't need to move the brake lines to get the springs out. Just remove the bolts that hold the rear shock in place, remove the shock and the arm drops down to aid removal of the spring. With the 4Motion van, it is likely that you will have to remove the drive shaft nut from the hub too, that will help the arm drop down enough to remove the spring. You don't have to remove the drive shaft itself from the hub, just push it inboard a bit and it'll help the arm drop.

It's a good idea to have a jack supporting the lower arm when you remove the shock bolts and then you can gently lower the arm down using the jack. When refitting, you can jack the arm up to help get the shock bolts back through.

You won't need to move the brake lines to get the springs out. Just remove the bolts that hold the rear shock in place, remove the shock and the arm drops down to aid removal of the spring. With the 4Motion van, it is likely that you will have to remove the drive shaft nut from the hub too, that will help the arm drop down enough to remove the spring. You don't have to remove the drive shaft itself from the hub, just push it inboard a bit and it'll help the arm drop.

It's a good idea to have a jack supporting the lower arm when you remove the shock bolts and then you can gently lower the arm down using the jack. When refitting, you can jack the arm up to help get the shock bolts back through.
@The Van Cave - Great summary, thanks for the info...

Back