Rear lower spring mounts

YellowHound

Photographer
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Swapped from winter to summer wheels today and noticed that both my rear lower spring mounts look rather the worse for wear. I need to replace them.
Is there a better product out there than VW OEM?
How high do I need to get my van to replace them?
Thanks ! :)

I can’t find the post but one of the well respected suspension trade members on the Forum mentioned that the OEM part is superior to the aftermarket parts available.

I think it’s the powerflex ones that aren’t great, but the Solow ones from THQ are very good and a much better product than OEM ones.

The standard rubbers are pretty good. The reason we have so much trouble with them is that the after market springs don’t have the thin pigtail at the top and bottom of the spring, the bar diameter of all aftermarket springs ( except the VW lowering kit made by Eibach ) is constant and doesn’t fit well in the mounts , 3 years ago I commissioned powerflex to make an up rated bush and offered to pay the development costs to make it to my design , Powerflex in their infinite wisdom. Shot off and made it completely different ( they paid the development cost) , my initial order of 250 parts. Was returned for credit as the bush is near enough useless as it was and didn’t work properly .
We have now commissioned a large car parts developer in Telford to make these parts for us. All our kits will be supplied with these in the future and hopefully another little transporter gremlin will be resolved .
Made in England proudly. Ha ha.

The standard rubbers are pretty good. The reason we have so much trouble with them is that the after market springs don’t have the thin pigtail at the top and bottom of the spring, the bar diameter of all aftermarket springs ( except the VW lowering kit made by Eibach ) is constant and doesn’t fit well in the mounts , 3 years ago I commissioned powerflex to make an up rated bush and offered to pay the development costs to make it to my design , Powerflex in their infinite wisdom. Shot off and made it completely different ( they paid the development cost) , my initial order of 250 parts. Was returned for credit as the bush is near enough useless as it was and didn’t work properly .
We have now commissioned a large car parts developer in Telford to make these parts for us. All our kits will be supplied with these in the future and hopefully another little transporter gremlin will be resolved .
Made in England proudly. Ha ha.
Will you be selling your bush independently of your kit? If so, do you have a cost and availability?
A quick question on fitting - is it possible to replace one side at a time with that side only raised, or do I need both sides raised? (I am fearing the latter due to ARB influence.)

Will you be selling your bush independently of your kit? If so, do you have a cost and availability?
A quick question on fitting - is it possible to replace one side at a time with that side only raised, or do I need both sides raised? (I am fearing the latter due to ARB influence.)
Hey there

Yes the rear of the van needs to be off the ground completely , or you need to disconnect the roll bar at each side before attempting this .

The price will be approx £15.00 each so quite competitive .

Hey there

Yes the rear of the van needs to be off the ground completely , or you need to disconnect the roll bar at each side before attempting this .

The price will be approx £15.00 each so quite competitive .
Thanks.
Had thought as much.
Any suggestions for safely raising the rear of the van using a central lift point for a trolley jack (so that I can place axle stands at the jack points)?

Safest way is to jack one side and support with a axle stand then jack opposite side and support with a second axle stand . hopefully you dont have a fancy gobbled stone drive way ha ha . Make sure the axle stand isn't put on to the swing arm as we need that to fall down freely. ,

Back