Rear Knocking/rattle What Could It Be?

Any updates from anyone on this? I have these exact symptoms and it is driving me crazy. I have had it up on a lift and couldn’t spot any issues.

Check it's not the tailgate lock knocking, adjust the rubber stops or jam a rag in there to take up any slack

Check it's not the tailgate lock knocking, adjust the rubber stops or jam a rag in there to take up any slack

Mine is an auto tailgate so it cinches itself down. I have also done the bump stop adjustments etc and the rattle persists.

Interestingly, my rattle is only there at low speeds. Once I’m up to 40mph or above it disappears.

Unfortunately not @highwaycollective my rattle is still there, I can't for the life of me find what or where its coming from, mine is also only there at lower speeds, or I just can't hear it over ambient noise once moving faster. What sort of setup are you on? Springs etc? mine is currently all OEM, a garage had said they thought it was because I'd taken all the weight out of the back (to start to convert) and thus was riding at the top of the springs, ie no weight on them causing the rattle, which I have to say I don't think would/should be right, after all surely these vans are designed to run empty as well as laden?!

Unfortunately not @highwaycollective my rattle is still there, I can't for the life of me find what or where its coming from, mine is also only there at lower speeds, or I just can't hear it over ambient noise once moving faster. What sort of setup are you on? Springs etc? mine is currently all OEM, a garage had said they thought it was because I'd taken all the weight out of the back (to start to convert) and thus was riding at the top of the springs, ie no weight on them causing the rattle, which I have to say I don't think would/should be right, after all surely these vans are designed to run empty as well as laden?!

Mine is lowered on B14’s and H&R arb’s, but the rattle was there before I fitted that kit.

Spare wheel carrier...squeaks and rattles ...very cheap hinge pin setup ...had this annoying me for months

I've had that off @VanDamMan , along with the bumper and driven it, no difference in noise
We’ve sound deadened ours to death...the only squeaking I get now sits in the passenger seat...hope you find the answer....once we had all the panels off you soon see that VW are great at cutting corners :thumbsup:

Just an update for those suffering from the rattle / knock issue. Today (after living with the rattle for almost two years) I swapped the B14 rear shocks back to my original ones and the rattle has gone. Disappointed that the issue was ultimately with the Bilstien shocks, but over the moon that the noise has now gone away.

Just an update for those suffering from the rattle / knock issue. Today (after living with the rattle for almost two years) I swapped the B14 rear shocks back to my original ones and the rattle has gone. Disappointed that the issue was ultimately with the Bilstien shocks, but over the moon that the noise has now gone away.
Take a photo and post it up here of the top bush of the Bilstien strut

just to add to this . . .

I've had a odd rattle when going over road bumps and uneven ground. . it seems to come from the rear and external as its a lot clearer when windows down and a parallel wall for the sound to bounce off.

so far,

checked and tightened heat shields and under trays,
checked internal stuff for knocking,
checked exhaust for knocking,
looked at EOM suspension.
removed and checked spare wheel and carrier. . . added extra foam.

no change on any of the above,

then noticed that it went away with brakes applied , , , even the slightest touch of the break peddle would stop it.

so, it must be to do with brakes or suspension ( in my case) and also be obviously loose somewhere as such a small amount of break peddle will stop it.

took the wheel off to check and it seems it might be the brake callipers?, there is slight movement in the calliper on the slide pins. . . possibly causing them to chatter from the vibration of the wheel/tyre over floor bumps?

not 100% sure yet . . . but the recent work to be done since it started is rear discs & pads ( Brembo ) . . . plus tow bar - so its plausible.

plus I've not used the brembo kit before - im normaly OEM if VWCV do it, or Pagid from ECP if im doing it.

++++

just ordered a replacement set of pads that i normally use (Pagid), ill swap them out and retest.

+++

i managed to get a recording of the sound on camera.

i used a GoPro clamped to the underneath.

1654620989869.png

heres the video clip:

++++++

Edit..

Swapped out the rear pads yesterday.

Let's see what happens....?

A quick drive round the block confirmed the suspission as the chatter clank has now disappeared.

Now to see what happen in a couple hundred miles time .

(Axel stands were used as well as jack, but you can't see them in the pics)

20220610_150703.jpg20220610_150652.jpg20220610_144141.jpg20220610_143227.jpg20220610_150702.jpg

Last edited:
Lower spring sear rubber looks like it’s shot. Also remove the shock and redo the test drive. Those shocks look tired

Lee has the rod snapped on the shock absorber, I know it looks like the shock is compressing in a straight line in the video but just sounds like the rattle you would get if only either end of the shock was connected separately and the two halves chattering in the middle within the dirt shroud?

All good possibilities...

I've edited above as I swapped the pads over the other day.. all looked ok.

I wound the piston s back a few turns and fitted new pads.

It's almost like the pistons we pulling back slightly giving enough of a gap to allow the calliper to wrattle....

ill give it a week or two and see what happens.

+++++

this clip shows the calliper movement on the slide pins before the play was closed up by pressing the brake peddle a few times . . (after installing the new pads)

Looking at this thread and what @X77GAP put today in a different thread, ‘Dodgy brake sliders so being sorted under the last few days of warranty’, are they linked with @Dellmassive post #32?

could you expand on this @X77GAP ?
Did vwvc diagnose this for you?

Looking at this thread and what @X77GAP put today in a different thread, ‘Dodgy brake sliders so being sorted under the last few days of warranty’, are they linked with @Dellmassive post #32?

could you expand on this @X77GAP ?
Did vwvc diagnose this for you?
@huxwar, I will do when I pick the van up again, I’m out on site all day tomorrow so have agreed to pick it up again Friday, will speak to the Techs and get full explanation. To be honest I didn’t notice anything and it was picked up on the MOT and being sorted under warranty

Hi,
I have the same on the off side rear. Checked and replaced heatshied locking washers. Checked the parking heater. Checked everything except the shocks. Replaced the discs and pads a while ago.
Anyone got a fix other than pads?
My rear offside OEM coil had broken a coil off the top. I replaced them with 30mm lowering springs, but the broken spring may have caused the shock to knackered itself.
I may fit new shocks as they are pretty cheap and quick to do.

Update.
Fixed mine. Pads were loose in the carrier. There was about 1mm clearance in both directions. Pads and discs were new last year. The rattle springs weren't doing their job. I gave the springs a bit of a bend to hold the pads and the noise has gone.

I've fixed other minor rattles along the way, so now have the quietest van in North Herts!

(VAN: 2019, 4 motion, 204, DSG, Diff, etc).

Having a knocking issue myself at the moment... mainly when pulling away... sounds like a knocking at the front - sounds like someone is underneath hitting the chassis with a rubber mallet - its mostly okay when it is going...

Had it in for a service about a month a go and explained the symptoms - they apparently had a look underneath and took it for a test drive and didn't see anything. Planning a long road trip next week and have been unhappy with it it so took it back in today. Took someone out in it so they could hear/feel the problem and after four of them looking at it they think they have spotted what they believe the problem to be. they have plugged in the system and an ABS error has appeared - not sure why this wasn't picked up with the service but hey ho.

Anyways, It appears that something is making the rear wheels drag a bit... sounded like it was coming from front but the knocking appears to be travelling up from the back and is to do with rear wheels...

They are going to change the rear diff fluid and check seals etc... hopefully this fixes the issue. Will provide more detail from the job sheet once I have it back.

thought I would also link in to this thread as it came up when I was googling. Knocking Noise When Pulling Away

Back