Rear Knocking/rattle What Could It Be?

Cb83

VIP Member
T6 Pro
I have a strange rattle/knocking coming from the rear, it's pretty constant, I've been underneath a few times now to see if I can find the culprit and have noticed that a) the cup that one of the springs sits on looks very worn, and b) a piece of plastic shielding/cover looks to have been smashed off at some point this is just in front of the the roll bar at the back.

A:
IMG_20200105_142525.jpg

B:

IMG_20200105_150851.jpg

Any help muchly appreciated.

Coincidence that you have posted this. In the last couple weeks I also have had a rattle/knocking coming from (I believe) the near side rear wheel arch. This location was suggested by 2 people in the back of the van at different times.

I have had the van on axle stands and cant find anything loose that could be causing the noise. :mad:

Pricisely! I had it in a garage a couple of weeks back and their diagnosis was that because I'd taken all the weight out of the back to convert it the springs were at their minimum load and because of that the rattle had appeared, they reckon that as I add more weight as the conversion goes on it will dissappear, I'm sceptical to be honest. Other than that though they said everything looked fine?!

I'm new to the forum so please ignore my suggestion if it's either obvious or not relevant...but is your jack still attached to the near side rear arch?

No, I ground mine off and its now attatched under my drivers seat. Thanks for the thought though @The Bear78 and welcome to the forum.

Any joy with this @Skyliner33 I havnt had much time the last couple of weeks, although I did mount an old phone underneath to see if I could pinpoint the noise, to no avail unfortunately

Any joy with this @Skyliner33 I havnt had much time the last couple of weeks, although I did mount an old phone underneath to see if I could pinpoint the noise, to no avail unfortunately

Unfortunately not. Mine is really strange. If I ride with the air suspension quite high then no knocking. It I ride at a more visually appealing height it knocks/rattles. I've had it checked at VAGTechnik and they cant find anything. I've even swapped the Bilstein shock for the OEM one, but its still the same. It's really boiling my pi$$ at the moment.

That is strange! I guess the height difference must mean somthing is hitting after a certain low point? Hence causing the knocking/rattling. My next step s to put some ballast (mates) in the back and see if the mechanic was right, now I just need some willing volunteers. I did have another thought after seeing a utube video about a cars knocking, engine mount? This doesn't match up with where the sound is coming from though.

That is strange! I guess the height difference must mean somthing is hitting after a certain low point? Hence causing the knocking/rattling. My next step s to put some ballast (mates) in the back and see if the mechanic was right, now I just need some willing volunteers. I did have another thought after seeing a utube video about a cars knocking, engine mount? This doesn't match up with where the sound is coming from though.
ALmost, but the knocking goes away again if I drive with it really low as well. It really has got me beaten. :(

Checked the roll bar last week and all looks good. Going to have another look this afternoon, @Skyliner33 out of interest what was your process of getting up on axle stands? Placement etc?

Checked the roll bar last week and all looks good. Going to have another look this afternoon, @Skyliner33 out of interest what was your process of getting up on axle stands? Placement etc?
I jacked up under the lower suspension arm then put the axle stands under the jacking points. That way I can use the jack to compress the suspension.
I too mine to ARtuning in Morecambe as a few of the Lowdown guys recommended them. They checked it all over. Let me stand under van whilst they did it. We couldn’t find and worn bushes or anything else loose that could rattle. I’m really struggling over what to do next other than reinstall the OEM suspension again.

Ugh sorry to hear that, as a note mine is all OEM. I spent the day yesterday looking over it all again but really can't find anything wrong as all, really f*ck*d off now. Aside from starting to change components systematically I'm at a loss.

Ugh sorry to hear that, as a note mine is all OEM. I spent the day yesterday looking over it all again but really can't find anything wrong as all, really f*ck*d off now. Aside from starting to change components systematically I'm at a loss.
Omg. I feel your pain. So much so I’m thinking of selling the van.

Just a thought what is the size of the hole in the shock bush V’s diameter of the bolt? Too much difference could cause a knock.

i have the same issue, although mine goes when press the brakes, went to dealer "new discs and pads required"... shock, went to wjt tuning today, only retaining spring required on the rear pads! so hopefully that fixes the issue

My experience about knock on the rear.. Mine is T6 150Hp 2 WD 2017 Caravelle. Done now 48.000 Kms.
I change the ARB with H&R model. All fine. After 10000Km from ARB change start noise knocking from the rear (both side) on the road car speed limiter.
Check all parts under the van...All seems fine... Lube the ARB bushes it disappear but after 2 mounth it come again..
Spray vaselin oil on some parts, but knocking is still there..
Change the ARB bushes with new ones but knocking is still there..
Change the rear dampers with new ones but knocking is still there..
Last time I spray some vaseline oil on the lower rear bush arm... knocking is still there but a lot less....
I will try again..

Back