SoLows harsh knock on rear

LowSlungDub

Hello, long time lurker, first time poster!

About 8 months ago I fitted a set of SoLow suspension to my T5, I used the poly rear spring cups.

Ever since fitted, whenever I hit a undulation in the road, where one wheel would be pushed up I get a very harsh bottoming out. I have adjusters fitted with both rings on, on their lowest setting. I also cut down the tubes which the adjuster sits on. I believe the lower arm where it has central locator which centralises the spring is hitting the adjuster as there's slight markings where contact could have occured, anyone experienced this?

Weird that if I hit a large bump with both wheels it doesn't do it, it's only if I hit it with one wheel.

I'd like to go lower but this is stopping me at the moment.

I'll make another post about the front MEYLE HD machined top mounts as that's another story

Cheers,

Glenn.

Last edited:
Looking at the van in your profile picture, it’s very low, which I love by the way. Nice work! Looks like you’re probably running with the rear adjuster as low as it will go?

At that sort of ride height though you’re likely going to need to cut the adjuster itself down a bit and the bump stop tube a bit more. That will get you enough clearance to stop the knocking.

When getting really low like you there are often more mods required to key everything working nicely without knocking.

Looking at the van in your profile picture, it’s very low, which I love by the way. Nice work! Looks like you’re probably running with the rear adjuster as low as it will go?

At that sort of ride height though you’re likely going to need to cut the adjuster itself down a bit and the bump stop tube a bit more. That will get you enough clearance to stop the knocking.

When getting really low like you there are often more mods required to key everything working nicely without knocking.
I was thinking this but after messaging either THQ/LDT/SoLow apparently it shouldn't be an issue. My friend has the same van, same setup and his doesn't knock. I am tempted to take the adjusters out and chuck them on lathe to turn them down 20mm as I don't need to be able to raise it any higher. Thanks for the appreciation though, it still looks high to me .

I need to get under it to take a proper look to see what's banging, it's such a harsh bang, definitely does feel like metal on metal.

I was thinking this but after messaging either THQ/LDT/SoLow apparently it shouldn't be an issue. My friend has the same van, same setup and his doesn't knock. I am tempted to take the adjusters out and chuck them on lathe to turn them down 20mm as I don't need to be able to raise it any higher. Thanks for the appreciation though, it still looks high to me .

I need to get under it to take a proper look to see what's banging, it's such a harsh bang, definitely does feel like metal on metal.
On my old demo van with Solow, before I bagged it, I had to cut the adjusters down to about half their length and then cut the bump stop to match to stop them hitting. I also had to trim a little bit off the chassis, like you would on an air install, because the rear shocks were touching too when under big compressions.

It’s not the only van I know that had to have the same treatment.

It might not be your issue, but as you say, a proper look underneath will confirm it or not.

Hello, long time lurker, first time poster!

About 8 months ago I fitted a set of SoLow suspension to my T5, I used the poly rear spring cups.

Ever since fitted, whenever I hit a undulation in the road, where one wheel would be pushed up I get a very harsh bottoming out. I have adjusters fitted with both rings on, on their lowest setting. I also cut down the tubes which the adjuster sits on. I believe the lower arm where it has central locator which centralises the spring is hitting the adjuster as there's slight markings where contact could have occured, anyone experienced this?

Weird that if I hit a large bump with both wheels it doesn't do it, it's only if I hit it with one wheel.

I'd like to go lower but this is stopping me at the moment.

I'll make another post about the front MEYLE HD machined top mounts as that's another story

Cheers,

Glenn.
From what you have said I don’t think it’s bump stop tubes , I don’t like cutting them but we don’t do big drops due to other issues but there are a few kit that do need this , The reason I am suspicious is that you say when you go over big bumps with both wheels there is no noise. , there fore it points to the anti roll bar. Because that loads up when one wheel hits a bump and the other doesn’t. Before cutting the chassis check the rubbers on the roll bar.

From what you have said I don’t think it’s bump stop tubes , I don’t like cutting them but we don’t do big drops due to other issues but there are a few kit that do need this , The reason I am suspicious is that you say when you go over big bumps with both wheels there is no noise. , there fore it points to the anti roll bar. Because that loads up when one wheel hits a bump and the other doesn’t. Before cutting the chassis check the rubbers on the roll bar.
I found the cause, rear arm was hitting the adjuster, I took some other VW rear bump stops, cut them down and pushed them into the cut down tube. No more bangs!

Back