Rear Barn Door Unlocking Issue

Hello again. Battery and auxiliary belt all sorted now (see my previous thread if required) and I also mentioned that the read barn doors were working intermittently, i.e, would sometimes unlock with a single press on the key fob, sometimes would need two presses. The girl on the service desk said it would probably be due to the weak battery, and the mechanic stripped and inspected the mechanism and said all was fine. I’ve just tried it again today and out of about 8-9 tries the rear door only unlocked once without pressing key fob again. Phoned VW back and it’s booked in for Friday 18th to get checked again. Hopefully they can sort it quick as I dislike driving courtesy vehicles. VW have compulsory excess of £750 so I’m a nervous wreck when I drive.

Anyone else had this issue?

I have had both the issue of the door lock and the issue of the service department giving me a load of BS in the hope that I will give up and go away.

There is nothing to strip down and inspect. The lock module is a sealed unit and VW just replace it if they suspect a fault. They do not strip down and inspect - there are no instructions to strip down the lock mechanism. Do you really think any fault in the lock wojld be visible to the naked eye?

The low battery voltage being the problem is also VW BS.

Then lock mechanisms used in the T5 and T6 are a known weak spot...the sliding door lock is usually the first to break.

Another day off work without the van, because they insist on having the van for the entire day for a 20 minute repair.

I would ask to see the job sheet as submitted to VW for warranty claim. Bet they didn't even look at the lock. Probably did a scan and no fault found.

UPDATE alright peeps, just an update on the thread, T6 has been in the VW centre today and they have diagnosed the fault as being the rear door latch. The fault is intermittent so I sent a video to the garage the day before I took the van down just in case the fault didn’t present itself, and they ordered a rear door control unit (whatever that is) on the back of watching the video, but according to them they only needed to replace the latch. Fingers crossed that’s it sorted.

Btw they tried to charge me £15+VAT insurance for the courtesy van for the day despite me being told -a few weeks ago- that if the van is under warranty I wouldn’t have to pay for insurance. A little word with the manager and things were sorted, but still....

Do you feel like a valued customer?
When I go out to mend somethimg for a customer I ask a few questions beforehand and make sure I turn up with a selection of parts. Any unused parts are retained as van stock.

VW dealers used to have a parts department with a fully stocked inventory.

No I don’t feel like a valued customer, but then again I dislike dealing with large companies when it comes to stuff like this. As a customer I’m just a number whose issue will be dealt with as cheaply as possible so said company can achieve whatever metrics they’re aiming for, albeit with false clinical smiles and mediocre coffee from the machine in the corner. and I don’t really expect any more to be honest

UPDATE the bloody problem has just returned today. Rear door not unlocking, intermittently. It had seemed fine for the last week since VW replaced whatever part, but today I was working on the van -refitting the plywood lining to the rear door that I had removed prior to sending it to VW to ease access to the rear locking mechanism- and the problem resurfaced. I thought maybe a screw was interfering with the locking mechanism so I removed all screws and both the ply and factory door lining to check, and it didn’t look like the screws were anywhere near the moving rods and levers. Just emailed VW this afternoon so I’ll probably hear back next week. I’ll leep you guys posted in case anyone has this issue in the future. Ta

Not really. They replaced the entire rear locking mechanism (and they definitely did, as they returned the rubber spacers that I had initially used to prevent the moving mechanism from touching the rear of the ply lining) but it’s still happening intermittently. Might be fine for a couple of days, then some times I need to press the unlock button 2-3-4 times to open the rear door, normally when I’ve got a handful of tools and buckets...Sod’s law etc. I’m planning on taking it back under warranty but I’m reluctant to lose a few days work for an issue they’ve already tried to remedy several times

Shame. Mine wasnt intermittent, it just 100% stopped unlocking with the key fob. It would unlock and open from the inside, but nothing from the outside. When you pull the handle up, does it feel like its pulling something or not? The reason i ask is that mine was just limp and loose, whetger locked or unlocked. I took the whole thing apart again today and moved one of the rods to its max extreme and ir seems to have fixed the issue. :) im having a beer to celebrate. :). It was driving me crazy. Yours may be different issue but might be worth a try. Its also worth noting that while the door unlocks with the key fob again, the actual mechanism stil seems a little flimsy. Pre issue, you would feel resistance immediately on pulling the handle, during the issue there was noth8ng, no resistance at all when pulling the handle. And now, since adjusting that rod, it is limp, limp, limp then the last 5 - 10%.. Pop and click it opens.. Im sure its something to do with the allignment, so next time im going to try and loosen it all off and see if i can manipulate a few extra mm between the handle mechanism and the latch release.
Sorry for the long post, but i do hope it helps. Good luck. :)

IMG_20190526_194950.jpg

Shame. Mine wasnt intermittent, it just 100% stopped unlocking with the key fob. It would unlock and open from the inside, but nothing from the outside. When you pull the handle up, does it feel like its pulling something or not? The reason i ask is that mine was just limp and loose, whetger locked or unlocked. I took the whole thing apart again today and moved one of the rods to its max extreme and ir seems to have fixed the issue. :) im having a beer to celebrate. :). It was driving me crazy. Yours may be different issue but might be worth a try. Its also worth noting that while the door unlocks with the key fob again, the actual mechanism stil seems a little flimsy. Pre issue, you would feel resistance immediately on pulling the handle, during the issue there was noth8ng, no resistance at all when pulling the handle. And now, since adjusting that rod, it is limp, limp, limp then the last 5 - 10%.. Pop and click it opens.. Im sure its something to do with the allignment, so next time im going to try and loosen it all off and see if i can manipulate a few extra mm between the handle mechanism and the latch release.

View attachment 44093

Thanks for the update sorry for the delayed reply I haven’t checked the forum for a while. Mine still has same issue, just booked it into the garage (AGAIN) at the end of the month for them to check it out. It’s been doing my head in but I’m self employed and can’t afford to take a few days off work while they mess about with the van, so I’ve booked it when I’m on my summer holidays. Regarding the resistance when the door handle is pulled...if the fault occurs I can hear the mechanism attempt to move but the handle is just totally slack with no resistance. When it works fine and unlocks correctly there is resistance to the handle, of that makes sense. Is yours still ok?

Now it’s my rear doors that will not open after unlocking with the van remote, nor with the key in the door. Then just very occasionally it does unlock. It clunks away but can’t be opened from the outside. It can be opened from inside.

Does this mean a trip to the dealers? It is under warranty.

The issue I have with the barn doors not unlocking is cured by pushing the handle forwards before you pull it back to open. I've tried to Lub various points but its not working as it should. Its under warranty so will have to chase it up.

The issue I have with the barn doors not unlocking is cured by pushing the handle forwards before you pull it back to open
And so it is ... thank you very much @Liggo for the tip until I can seek a permanent fix under warranty

The bleeding side door failed today, it would not shut, so rang VW assist they sent the AA out within the hour. He made up a wire release to pull the catch. So I can now lock the van. When he rang VW assist to arrange the repair the other guy said it was a known fault !!! Should be fixed tomorrow by their tech guy, under warranty at my place of work. Good response though so not too annoying.

And so it is ... thank you very much @Liggo for the tip until I can seek a permanent fix under warranty
. My t6 2018 doing same won't open from outside, tried that tip of pushing forward great opens evertime thank you for tip,, but going to book it in as under warranty

The VW assist chap changed the door mech, but it turned out to be the the actual handle, which is in an alloy hinge/bracket and this was not letting the handle return to the normal position, slightly seizing up.
with a bit of manipulation and release spray the handle was a lot Freere.
Requires a door strip down to get at it, but has worked fine since.
No parts required.

View attachment 44093

Im having the same issue as you have had.
It actually happened a year ago and VW fixed the issue under warranty. The issue has presented itself again. My van is now out of warranty and VW say they will have to charge me to fix the issue.
I removed the panels that cover up the locking mechanism and can see exactly what you have shown in the picture.
I just wanted to know how exactly you managed to tighten the locking rod? I can’t seem to work out how it tightens without taking it all apart, something i really don’t want to be doing!

Thanks,
Sam

Back