Rear Barn Doors Door Lock Wont Open- My18

Dellmassive

T32 204 DSG LWB SLN PV MY18 & T30 SWB KMB MY67
VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Master
Barn Doors Door Lock - MY18

Basically the rear door would not unlock, they locked fine but didnt unlock (made the right sound but the external handle wouldnt open the door)

Checked it ourselves...... looked like an internal lock problem so run it passed the dealer . . . . .

1hr wait later and main dealer confirmed it was a faulty rear barn door lock-set inside the door pannel.

one is on order with them as a warranty repair, apparently going to be done within the hour as a stay-and-wait job.

Not good as its only a week old =[

It took them 20mins to fit a new rear lock assembly. All done via warranty.

heres the previous works . . . .

VW replaced the whole "carrier assembly" as shown below (the big plate that screws to the door)

20180522_105554-jpg.23658

Barn doors pic above. If tailgate model then door loop is at top.

@Pauly :The door open/close signal does come from the lock mechanism (no pin switches anymore) but it’s a switched negative return direct to the BCM to signal its state which in turn tells the display what to show (over canbus)
I would start by returning the BCM to factory coding (the easy option) then move onto to checking the negative signal is getting to the BCM (the harder option although the wire does pass through under passenger seat so can be measured at a mid point)

@Dellmassive : Looks like the easiest way then is to get into the back door and bell out the F111 & F256 lock switch pins for a short to ground with the door loom disconnected,
then check the MFD to see if it shows rear door as perm - open. (apposite to what you have now). Then check for 5v ref voltage on pin-switch wires on van side of loom. might be a short to ground somewhere on the door status monitor wire.

Also had a rear door problem of unlocking which the dealer was reluctant to sort out as they said it wouldn’t show a fault when it was there, then the sliding door wouldn’t open! Luckily I had two sliding doors other wise I would be able to get any tools out the van, but I couldn’t get the timber and tube out, they replaced the side door lock but not the rear as again they said they couldn’t find a fault. After see real argument with and a load of bs from the service desk I sent a video of the fault to them and they had the van in again.
They changed the rear locking module which solved the fault for 3 weeks but after heavy rain the fault came back. In my case it seems to be related to when it rains heavy? Perhaps there is water ingress somewhere ? As the weather is fairly dry now it’s been ok.
The worst thing is the loss of time to work this as cost me from a very poor service from dealers.
A work van you can’t get your tools out of, crazy.
Spoke to VW commercial but after making it seem they were concerned just fobbed me off to say to go to a different dealer further away and see if I get better service. Ridiculous service from what is a more expensive buy than most and I always thought was the best.
I’ve had three transporters for work and have a T5 converted camper and had numerous vw cars but this is making me think the unthinkable “ I may have move away from the brand in future “

This fault has been bugging me for a while and I decided to investigate further today.
After a little prodding and poking around I managed to fix the fault.
I don’t know if it is the spring that pulls the handle back in place that is worn out of the threaded bar that has slipped but the fix is quite easy.
  1. First of all you need to slide the plastic part that is holding/covering the threaded bar.
  2. Once this is moved you can pull the threaded bar out (make a note of where it currently is).
  3. Push the threaded bar back in place (I needed some pliers to do this) but raise it slightly higher than where it was sitting previously. You will need to pull the door handle while doing this step to allow the threaded bar to sit further up.
  4. Slide the plastic part back, which you raised in step one.
  5. Test the central locking and raise the threaded bar further if required.
IMG_0450.pngIMG_0449.png

This fault has been bugging me for a while and I decided to investigate further today.
After a little prodding and poking around I managed to fix the fault.
I don’t know if it is the spring that pulls the handle back in place that is worn out of the threaded bar that has slipped but the fix is quite easy.
  1. First of all you need to slide the plastic part that is holding/covering the threaded bar.
  2. Once this is moved you can pull the threaded bar out (make a note of where it currently is).
  3. Push the threaded bar back in place (I needed some pliers to do this) but raise it slightly higher than where it was sitting previously. You will need to pull the door handle while doing this step to allow the threaded bar to sit further up.
  4. Slide the plastic part back, which you raised in step one.
  5. Test the central locking and raise the threaded bar further if required.
View attachment 237742View attachment 237743
This is a job I need to do also.
Mine won’t work from the outside but if you open it from the inside it will then work from the outside for a short time

Back