T6.1 door lock mechanism fitted on wrong side of vehicle (will not lock/unlock via door handle)

Nickruss

This is a strange one. I had a spare key cut for taking in the sea surfing, so I can leave the remote fob safe and dry.

NOTHING HAPPENED when I tried to unlock the driver's door (van is a UK RHD model). Upon further investigation, I found no locking mechanism on the driver's side!

When I looked inside the passenger side door, I found that there was a lock mechanism (but obviously no keyhole on the passenger door handle).

Could this be a factory build mistake and has anyone else come across this?

Just tried my 6.1 and same as you - key does nothing!! Haven’t looked inside the doors though.

I got a plain key plus two remotes with my 2018 T6 - used it last week when we all went in the sea - worked fine.

Will be interesting to see what other 6.1 owners report back and how VW are going to deal with it!

That's almost unbelievable! I wonder if other left/right hand drive mix ups exist.
@Nickruss does your dipped beam point to the left? ;)

I tested my MY21 T6.1 Caravelle a while back to figure out safelock - works fine on drivers door

I’m guessing that also means that I can’t get into the van if you’ve got a flat battery?

I have noticed some French cars have the single emergency key ‘ole on the passenger door. I bet they just couldn’t be ar$ed to make a version just for us Brits (and Japan, Malta, New Zealand and Australia)!

My garage told me to go to the VW dealer who may well have a bulletin about "mis-builds"

I hope so, otherwise it's a weird way of cost corner cutting!

Lots of 6.1s only have lock mechanism in passenger door (mine included) but i assumed it would actually work !!
I guess its a VW lazy LHD/RHD scenario ? if thats the case then VW should sort it out for you

I wouldnt have a problem with the lock being in the passenger door as long as it worked.

That's the problem... it would be okay if it were not for the fact that the passenger door has no keyhole!
@Samro wants to remove his passenger key-hole handle, so if your van is the same colour then a handle swap might resolve this?

Back