Re - gen happening too often

osman

Steve O
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi I’m getting regens happening too often .. like three times in one week !
It seems worse since a recent visit to the garage . The revs the hideous stink it’s so annoying …
I’m doing a lot of short journeys yes but as it’s getting on my nerves so much I’m taking longer routes where I can get up to a decent speed just to make sure the engine gets a good run and yet it’s still happening … surely this is not normal ?
I notice it seems to happen when the tank is getting low too … mind you with the guzzling engine that’s quite a frequent situation !

Does this just go in the diesel tank ?
Yes - just add a measured shot when you fill up.

There have been a few threads on additives so perhaps do a search. I think there is even a VW ‘cleaner’ though not sure if this is use on every fill. I read the main ingredient is naphtha in most of these.

It effectively makes the diesel like Super Diesel (v power etc). I worked out the additive cost about 3p per litre whereas super diesel was 15p+ over standard.

Halfords not the cheapest but most convenient.

There have been a few threads on additives so perhaps do a search. I think there is even a VW ‘cleaner’ though not sure if this is use on every fill. I read the main ingredient is naphtha in most of these.

It effectively makes the diesel like Super Diesel (v power etc). I worked out the additive cost about 3p per litre whereas super diesel was 15p+ over standard.

Great I’ll try this for sure

Have you been using this for a long time ?

Sounds like you may be cutting the regen short so it's not completing. (Causing it constantly restart every drive cycle)

If the revs are high after a drive and the fans are on, you can sit down in the van for 5mins to let it complete at the end of a journey.

Low fuel tank below a quarter will block the regens from happening, so they to keep over half a tank.

I fill my tank empty to full evey time with Tesco or Costco cheap stuff, the van will regen like clockwork sound ²/3 then 1/3 tank levels.

Appart from that, you will have to drive the van longer at least once a week, ie higher revs for sustained duration. As per the guide above.

More info......

How many miles between regens?
Typically these engines will go 150-200 miles of short journeys or 300-350 miles on a long run between regens.
If its ’always doing it’ then you are either not letting it finish, or you have an engine issue that is creating more particulate than it normally should.

How many miles between regens?
Typically these engines will go 150-200 miles of short journeys or 300-350 miles on a long run between regens.
If its ’always doing it’ then you are either not letting it finish, or you have an engine issue that is creating more particulate than it normally should.
I’m letting the regents finish and it’s certainly not only happening when I have half a tank of fuel ! In fact quite the opposite they happen when I’m low on fuel for sure .. usually just above the red .. that’s a pattern … rarely I stop before the regen finishes and of course it starts again until it’s finished .. I totally understand that . Mine is like every few days it’s doing another regen…and I’m thinking here we go again ! It drives me nuts as the stink is almost unbearable if the internal ac fans are running .

Mine doesn’t smell inside when doing a regen. Unbearable stink suggests something is leaking?
That’s what I’m trying to get at … its come from the garage after some work relating to emissions and I’m not sure if they completely sorted the issue

Carista will show when the last re-generation was carried out plus the DPF condition. It’s cheaper than walking in the front door of a garage.

So I’m sat here in the van with the same old re gen happening yet again after about three days of average driving .. van engine stinking and hot . The diesel gauge is in the red .. and thinking did somone say regen only happens with over half a tank of fuel ? Well they must have a very different van to me ! Mines a 2016 highline . 2.8
I find it does a regen whenever it feels like it which is bloody often ! The amount of fuel makes zero difference .
The smell is unpleasant to say the least and you can’t get away from it unless your hurtling down a motorway . The only way to make it tolerable in normal driving or when parked is to switch the internal fans off completely and on a cold day that’s not good news .
Is this normal ? Another thing whilst sitting here awaiting the regen to finish I can clearly see fine smoke drifting up over the windscreen .. it’s cold outside so that could be something to do with it . I’ve opened the bonnet as the stink from the engine is horrible .
Observing with Carista I can see it finally calms down when soot level is around 7.6 grams and settles completely at 7.25

Last edited:
Mine will do a regen when there is less than a quarter of a tank in. 2017 204.
I can only ever smell the regen if I’m outside the van-even when stationary.
Deffo check the egr pipes for a split.

Back