Re - gen happening too often

I'm having a similar issue. Regens every 40-50 urban miles. Used to be every 80 ish. So I'm wondering what's causing the DPF to clog up so quick? Only ever put Costco deisel in which apparently is similar to Shell Premium and also changed the oil recently using Castrol 504 but that hasn't made any difference. So I'm thinking it's an issue with the engine performing an unclean burn which can't be good news. I've just done a 300 mile round trip, mainly motorway, so will see if that makes any difference this week but really frustrated to get back today and 3 miles from home another regen had started! Always the case innit.

Reactions: CAB
I'm having a similar issue. Regens every 40-50 urban miles. Used to be every 80 ish. So I'm wondering what's causing the DPF to clog up so quick? Only ever put Costco deisel in which apparently is similar to Shell Premium and also changed the oil recently using Castrol 504 but that hasn't made any difference. So I'm thinking it's an issue with the engine performing an unclean burn which can't be good news. I've just done a 300 mile round trip, mainly motorway, so will see if that makes any difference this week but really frustrated to get back today and 3 miles from home another regen had started! Always the case innit.
Yes this is the same issue are you also getting the smell in the cab if your driving slowly ? Or no sign of any smell at all ? I’m really getting sick of it as it lingers around for quite a while.

Yup, smelly cab, possibly diesel, which only happens during a regen. Cant smell diesel in the engine bay which confuses me.
Is your bus mapped @osman?

Mine has done this worse and worse the last year, up to the point it continuously regens and then the turbo went, Not sure if the DPF clogs from burnt oil and then can't get rid of the pressure and wrecks the turbo, or if it's the other way around and the turbo's been leaking oil clogging he DPF but either way the oil needed topping up as regularly as 1L on 1000 miles at the end.

My first call would be a oil sample test and keep an eye on the oil consumption!

Reactions: DXX
Mine has done this worse and worse the last year, up to the point it continuously regens and then the turbo went, Not sure if the DPF clogs from burnt oil and then can't get rid of the pressure and wrecks the turbo, or if it's the other way around and the turbo's been leaking oil clogging he DPF but either way the oil needed topping up as regularly as 1L on 1000 miles at the end.

My first call would be a oil sample test and keep an eye on the oil consumption!
Good shout

I had something similar with my old 2006 2.0 TDi Passat. It went through oil like nobody's business and was constantly doing regens and showing the clogged DPF symbol. In the end it was burnt out piston rings which I was informed could have been the result of running low on oil or putting petrol in the tank.
The oil consumption was terrible, as much as a litre every 300 miles if we did a long motorway trip.
This isn't quite what you're seeing but excess oil burning in some way or another can certainly cause more frequent regens.

I was pretty sure my engine was toast, the 204s seem to suffer more and more from clogged rings and oil usage cos of that but now the turbo's gone i'm slightly hopeful that might have been the cause. I will keep a good eye on it all when I've got it back to see how it goes... if anything when I then get a new engine it'll have a nice new turbo on it too...

Just an update. So I've done 70 urban miles so far this week and no regen yet, so it looks like the blast up and down the M6 has helped.

So I've just got new turbos fitted to my 204 after the small turbo failure and the dpf has supposedly been cleaned...

It now comes up with the usual adblu errors and countdown from 650 even though it's full which i'm hoping will sort itself or I will get the garage to sort, but besides that it now doesn't regen as often as it used to before the turbo failed.

I do have something odd on Carista you can see its at 6g after the regen, then it very slowly builds up over maybe 80 miles to 14g and then all of a sudden it will jump straight to 24 and starts the regen which then brings it down to 6g again and the same cycle continues, slow to 14 then jump to 24, any idea what's going on here?

Haven't really done enough miles yet since the new turbos to see whether it still burns oil.

slow to 14 then jump to 24, any idea what's going on here?
Besides the soot mass value Carista shows there are other factors that will trigger DPF regeneration when the ECU thinks something is wrong. My guess is that engine parameter "Soot mass (measured)" triggers the regen. However, most likely the actual culprit is clogged DPF.

You would need to monitor at least the following data to get a better picture:
Air intake mass flow​
DPF Differential pressure​
DPF Fuel used since last regen​
DPF Regen active duration​
DPF Soot mass (calculated)​
DPF Soot mass (measured)​
EGR Position​
If you have an Android phone you could use Torque app (with Carista dongle) for the job. I'm more than happy to make the analysis.
See details here

Besides the soot mass value Carista shows there are other factors that will trigger DPF regeneration when the ECU thinks something is wrong. My guess is that engine parameter "Soot mass (measured)" triggers the regen. However, most likely the actual culprit is clogged DPF.

You would need to monitor at least the following data to get a better picture:
Air intake mass flow​
DPF Differential pressure​
DPF Fuel used since last regen​
DPF Regen active duration​
DPF Soot mass (calculated)​
DPF Soot mass (measured)​
EGR Position​

If you have an Android phone you could use Torque app (with Carista dongle) for the job. I'm more than happy to make the analysis.
See details here

Could it be the adblu errors causing it?

I’ve got an iPhone only unfortunately

I’ve been through that topic a few times but it’s way over my head!!

Could it be the adblu errors causing it?
You mean the countdown from 650 miles - I think there are two separate issues - at least the ECU sees them as two separate issues.

I’ve been through that topic a few times but it’s way over my head!!
The Torque app thingy is actually very simple thing to run - the first blurry posts are just how to set it up. Then the Torque does all the required data recording behind the scenes.

Also VCDS would do the same (and much more).

I’ve got an iPhone only unfortunately
Unfortunately the Torque setup is Android only.

In iPhone world the same could be done by using "Car Scanner" app - all the proposed data values should be available right away by selecting correct vehicle connection profile.

You mean the countdown from 650 miles - I think there are two separate issues - at least the ECU sees them as two separate issues.

The Torque app thingy is actually very simple thing to run - the first blurry posts are just how to set it up. Then the Torque does all the required data recording behind the scenes.

Also VCDS would do the same (and much more).

Unfortunately the Torque setup is Android only.

In iPhone world the same could be done by using "Car Scanner" app - all the proposed data values should be available right away by selecting correct vehicle connection profile.
I’ll download the car scanner app tomorrow and see whether I can make sense of it.

Would it log the data you mentioned earlier so it can be looked at afterwards?

Reactions: mmi
Would it log the data you mentioned earlier so it can be looked at afterwards?
Yes, of course - see the link below for details and some useful hints how to use.
I think @n10n can help with settings for the iPhone version

Sure, little bit bad timing though, will be travelling without the van but I’ll try to scavenge what I can in a couple of posts.

First, you need to get the app paired with Carista. To do this, go to Settings -> Adapter, select Bluetooth LE (4.0+) and you should be able to find Carista.

1694767305287.png

1694767353238.png

You also need to select Settings -> Connection profile. This selects sensors that are supposed to work with the car... in reality there's many profiles that can be used and still, some sensors work while others do not. I've used Volkswagen OBD-II / EOBD Diesel DPF ver. 2, that seemed to have widest selection of working ones for 204 CXEB back at the time I did this.

After above, you should be able to connect app to Carista from the main screen. Go to Dashboard and tap the cog on top right to set it up. A popup opens, tap the cog where it reads ”customize page”:
IMG_4338.png

Then, select a dasboard layout that can accommodate all the desired sensors - to get @mmi recommended ones select one with 8 slots - note you have to tap on phone image to select the layout:
IMG_4339.png

Go back from the settings and your dashboard should look more or less like this but with some other values:
IMG_4340.png

Double tap on dashboard slots to select the sensor and to configure the looks. First select the sensor by tapping where it reads, well, ”Tap to select sensor”, duh. Then adjust the style, size, colors etc to your liking.

IMG_4341.png

Repeat above for each sensor. Only three of @mmi suggested metrics are available by default, here's the names Car Scanner uses:
Air intake mass flow - MAF air flow rate
DPF Differential pressure - DPF: Differential pressure sensor: adapted value
DPF Regen active duration - Regeneration duration

These are not readily available so need to add custom sensor definitions (in the next post):
DPF Fuel used since last regen
DPF Soot mass (calculated)
DPF Soot mass (measured)
EGR Position

Last edited:
Back