Loss Of Power, Weird Brake Light Issue, Flashing Coil Light [Resolved]

James fitch

T6 Pro
So, bear with me as a bit of a weird one and not sure whether these symptoms related!

van went in for service mid dec and they did the adblue update.
Noticed since then it regens ALOT more than it used too, and I do short journeys so the flipping fan seems to always be running.

Couple of weeks back had the flashing coil light, but no loss of power. Suspected that under a 1/4 of tank and wanted to do regen, so filled up with Vpower as normal.

couple of days after that and coming up to a junction, put foot on clutch to go down through the gears and roll up to a stop, and the revs started to increase on their own. Not a little bit, but reaching 4K.
Foot on the brake brought them back down. for the rest of the way home, exactly the same scenario, revving on its own every time clutch pushed in, but revs would drop to normal as soon as brake pedal pushed.

Turned off. Turned on again and haven’t had problem since. Weird.

yesterday coil light flashing again. No loss of power. Fuel gauge under a quarter.

today, coil light flashes earlier in the day. After restart disappears no loss of power.

Later today, go to pull out from junction, no power, engine doesn’t sound right, won’t rev over 1500rpm with clutch in, barely enough torque to pull to van forward on the flat. No warning lights.
Happens 3 or 4 times during the afternoon. Take it up the garage (just about make it) with it limping at random intervals (still no dash lights). More expensive diesel. On way home, still doing same thing, one moment running and pulling fine, the next just limping back to 1500rpm and no torque.

reverse onto drive. Take foot off brake. Notice brake light still on. Turn off ignition, back on again and brake light off. Try a couple of times, seems fine then stays on. Turn off ign, turn on, brake light still on.
Repeat. And again. Some times brake light off, sometimes on, sometimes a few pushes on pedal and stays on. Sometimes a fair number of pushes, then stays on.

Look for switch on pedal. Seems they moved switch to under reservoir now! Pulled plug on switch and light won’t go off, push back on and does.

soooo....

could my weird running behaviour be linked to a dodgy brake switch? Would the ecu think that I’m braking and kill the power to the engine?
Anyone else had a dodgy brake switch?

How old is your battery, and what make is it ?

Pete

Possibly a bad earth connection.

yeah I thought maybe but all bcm controlled so thought might not be.

I gave up and called AA assist, I must have been lucky as arrived within 17minutes of phone call!

Mech thinks it’s the hall sensor switch for the brake light, and because it’s being triggered it kills the power to the engine as the van thinks the breaks are being put on. It’s being recovered to dealer in the morning.. will keep posted when it’s done in order that it might help someone in future.

Just an update.
van was taken in, looked at, had report that nothing found wrong.
arrived to collect to find the hall sensor for brake switch had apparently been replaced.
van was collected and fine for a couple of days and now started again.
no error's popping up on vcds after it has occured.
now it seems i can reproduce at will, brake light works fine without engine running.
soon as start engine the light comes on.
with engine running, brake light switches itself on and off at random times every minute or so.
caught all this on video.
vw tech coming out this afternoon to assess. i can't help but think Loz maybe correct and this is voltage/earth related.
pretty scary as happens at random and just kills power to the engine.
will keep updated to increase the knowledge!

Tech guy visited, no faults listed, but rear brake lights continue going on for approx 1 min, then off for approx 20 secs and cycle repeats itself.
He had a good rummage around the inside fuse box and under the dash but nothing appeared to stop the regular on-off pattern from occurring.
Apparently another tech had seen this with towbar wiring being compromised - mine does have a towbar.
Recovery truck arriving in morning, and back to the workshop it goes :-(

Reactions: mmi
Is the towbar wiring "plug and play", i.e. if you follow the wiring back from the 7 or 13 pin socket on the back of the van, does it lead to a multiplug? Some vehicles are pre-wired for a towbar like this so that if you install a towbar the wiring is easy, just plug it in and route the wires.
If so you could try pulling the plug, i.e disconnect that part of the wiring to the towbar socket, and see if that makes a difference. Just an idea, lots of people on here more knowledgeable than me, but often a process of eliminating one thing at a time can work. Good luck.

Hi no it’s aftermarket, no idea when it was fitted, i didn’t even know it was there till checking spare tyre and discovered the mount (removable neck). It has a load of fuses and control module by the engine battery.
i plugged the trailer board in this evening and everything still working, but same issue occurring.

Just a follow up.
So first off, a big recommendation for the guys at Breeze main dealer Portsmouth, who made a big effort to find the issue. And discovered another couple too!
Seems that a mix of things going on, but end result seems to have a been a brake light wiring issue, an issue with J519 (horn had stopped working and alarm was choosing to go off whenever it liked) and an egr temp sensor needed replacing too!
All sorted by them and even got a wash :)
Can’t recommend them enough

Barn doors? One of my high level brake lights wasn't working and it turned out to be a known issue with water ingress ruining the fitting and wiring.

Back