New owner, 8 days in, what a rollercoaster.

Blasam

VIP Member
So I’ve been lurking on here for a while, now I’ve got a van it’s time to say hello!

T6 Kombi DSG 204ps feb 2017 in indium grey with 92k on it. I believe it’s old owner is on here somewhere! Sat on some nice wheels and B14s.

It’s been 8 days and what a rollercoaster. I travelled from the midlands to Scotland to buy it. Thankfully it appeared to be a good one! Super chuffed it drove the 480 miles back just fine.

However I stumbled across a thread on here discussing the oil consumption issues related with the 204 hours into my new ownership. What an emotional ride that was, I was sure I was going to sell it immediately after receiving the V5. It’s still on my drive so I’ve calmed down a little!

Decided I needed to throw some miles on the van to see what’s what. First trip was to a theme park where I discovered the T6 has a low coolant warning light. Gutted. Couldn’t see the leak so began to assume the worse. Anyway, off to Torquay I go. Leak gets worse and thankfully it was a split pipe on the dsg oil cooler seemingly damaged when the egr cooler was changed just before I got the vehicle. RAC to the rescue as I had no tools with me.

Finally home bound and I’ve acquired a strange noise under acceleration between 1700 & 2000rpm. Brilliant, what now! Well it still drives fine so I guess I’ll go hunting for that noise another time. Oh, and the power steering is dam noisy! Rack is dry as are the gators. Maybe it’s just the noise a van with 90k on the clock makes. Having come from a mk7.5 GTI, then into a 2021 Tiguan, maybe I’m being too fussy!

Now we’re 1000 miles in and thankfully, though I’ve used some oil, it’s a not a horrifying amount. Still 3/4’s showing on the dipstick. Maybe my engine is still alive. I’ve come to terms with the idea that it’ll need replacing.

Anyway, camper build pending! But for now, some black bits to make it more moody.

Sam

F7900B97-03DB-4F81-8710-BCA8C41BF102.jpeg

AC32E7F9-4F41-450E-9B64-E67441AAD5F3.jpeg

Hi Sam, looks a lovely van, with a great spec. I have also have a emotional week's having received a van from VW (same colour and and year as yours) but just being horrified when It got delivered with a number of issues. Sorry, have you decided to keep it ?

So I’ve been lurking on here for a while, now I’ve got a van it’s time to say hello!

T6 Kombi DSG 204ps feb 2017 in indium grey with 92k on it. I believe it’s old owner is on here somewhere! Sat on some nice wheels and B14s.

It’s been 8 days and what a rollercoaster. I travelled from the midlands to Scotland to buy it. Thankfully it appeared to be a good one! Super chuffed it drove the 480 miles back just fine.

However I stumbled across a thread on here discussing the oil consumption issues related with the 204 hours into my new ownership. What an emotional ride that was, I was sure I was going to sell it immediately after receiving the V5. It’s still on my drive so I’ve calmed down a little!

Decided I needed to throw some miles on the van to see what’s what. First trip was to a theme park where I discovered the T6 has a low coolant warning light. Gutted. Couldn’t see the leak so began to assume the worse. Anyway, off to Torquay I go. Leak gets worse and thankfully it was a split pipe on the dsg oil cooler seemingly damaged when the egr cooler was changed just before I got the vehicle. RAC to the rescue as I had no tools with me.

Finally home bound and I’ve acquired a strange noise under acceleration between 1700 & 2000rpm. Brilliant, what now! Well it still drives fine so I guess I’ll go hunting for that noise another time. Oh, and the power steering is dam noisy! Rack is dry as are the gators. Maybe it’s just the noise a van with 90k on the clock makes. Having come from a mk7.5 GTI, then into a 2021 Tiguan, maybe I’m being too fussy!

Now we’re 1000 miles in and thankfully, though I’ve used some oil, it’s a not a horrifying amount. Still 3/4’s showing on the dipstick. Maybe my engine is still alive. I’ve come to terms with the idea that it’ll need replacing.

Anyway, camper build pending! But for now, some black bits to make it more moody.

Sam

View attachment 209182

View attachment 209183
Out of curiousity, did you actually check the oil level before doing the 1000miles? They are only supposed to be filled midway between the two marks on the dipstick apparently.

Sam

View attachment 209182

View attachment 209183
Like the look of the black grill, have you replaced it or painted the original?

Out of curiousity, did you actually check the oil level before doing the 1000miles? They are only supposed to be filled midway between the two marks on the dipstick apparently.
I did yeah, just before I left Scotland. Checked the dipstick mainly for signs of a blown head gasket whilst inspecting the vehicle. It was full, level with the top line on the stick, now it’s as shown in the photo.

I’ve since had an oil service for the purpose of keeping the service book up to date, even though it was replaced when the EGR was done. £198 for a essentially, a stamp!

168BDD5D-2651-4359-B2EA-4E01173CEA94.jpeg

Hi Sam, looks a lovely van, with a great spec. I have also have a emotional week's having received a van from VW (same colour and and year as yours) but just being horrified when It got delivered with a number of issues. Sorry, have you decided to keep it ?
Sorry to hear that. I was looking for months with many failed viewings. There was an ace looking van a while back, upon driving 3 hours to find not a single panel without a scratch or dent, and a poorly installed pop top. I was gutted. I have decided to keep this one, for now. I paid 26 for it then dropped a another 1.5k of sorting various bits like door seals, tatty threshold steps and some aesthetically pleasing bits like replacing the lower spoiler/splitter, wind deflectors etc & a service. I feel I might be hard pushed to recoup my money.

Like the look of the black grill, have you replaced it or painted the original?
I ordered the matt black vw badge from van style, but kept the original gloss black inside bit. So just the surround has been replaced. Then some Matt black grill trims to replace the chrome originals from vee dub transporters. I think it’s quite a small outlay for a big change personally. I was tempted by a full new grill but I’m smashing my camper build budget on things to make happy when I look at it I’ve refrained… for now!

Hello Sam, just stumbled across this thread, after reading multiple 204 bit horror stories and i’m in exactly the same boat as you, bought ours end of October, only difference is my T6 is LWB 4mo and done 118k! like you say its a rollercoaster, so chuffed with the van, drives great but the black cloud of a big bill had taken the shine off slightly!

Hello Sam, just stumbled across this thread, after reading multiple 204 bit horror stories and i’m in exactly the same boat as you, bought ours end of October, only difference is my T6 is LWB 4mo and done 118k! like you say its a rollercoaster, so chuffed with the van, drives great but the black cloud of a big bill had taken the shine off slightly!
Have a read through the EGR delete threads. If you’re using no oil then an egr delete may well be some good preventative maintenance. It’s the disintegration of the egr cooler that kills these engines apparently.

Strangely the EML came on, was still running fine, still under car dealer warranty, so took it to VW who said it needed a EGR flush and pipe change, which they did, warranty coughed up and its been fine since! paying attention to oil usage now, its about 3/4 down the dipstick

Back