Rayne automotive 8a main battery charger

Hello wonder if someone can let me know if this is OK? I have a rayne automotive 8a battery charger. I've test fitted everything and plugged the charger in just to make sure it's working OK. When the charger is plugged in it slowly brings the charge of the battery up to 15.4 volts, if I put the lights on it does drop to below 15v. I have a 95 amp agm enduroline battery and it is vented. My worry is that from what I have read 15.4 volts is too high. So is this safe to use? The battery is vented to the outside of the van but obviously I don't want it going bang in the night

20230426_200819.jpg

20230426_200802.jpg

That is a bit too high !

Not familiar with the charger but whats the options/settings for different battery types ?
Have you got a multimeter or something that could confirm what output its giving and thus confirm the accuracy of your onboard voltmeter ?

Just checked the manufacturers website and nothing on the product page that specifies what voltage it is supposed to output for each battery type but it does state its not suitable for lithium which is normally the high voltage of all the batteries so something defo doesnt sound right

I would get that voltage confirmed with a second device then either replace the charger or the onboard voltmeter as one of them isnt right

as @Pauly said.

get a multi-meter on the battery to double check the actual voltage. ( id imagine that USB meter is off a bit , maybe a volt ?)

it looks like the charger is in BULK mode, so throwing max available power at the battery ( due to no 20/80/100 led being lit)

15.0v is ok for a AGM SLA battery at room temp,

and can creep higher if its cold and the charger has charge-temp-coefficient.

more info:

looks like it has a temp sensor hanging out the side. . . . so prob does temp coefficient . .

1682577658478.png

found the instructions. . .

looks like its a white lable EVERPOWER charger.

RAYNE : EP12m248

++

rayne 8A Mains Battery Charger instructions

rayne 8A Mains Battery Charger pdf

++

1682577999833.png1682578028637.png1682578067584.png1682578087735.png1682578117310.png1682578170649.png1682578107079.png

and that looks like that's a white label of OCEAN POWER CHARGER?

these seem to be the manufacturers.

1682578262806.png

ENVIRONMENTAL CHARACTERISTICS:
. Operating temperature range: 32 to 104° F
. Storage temperature range: 10 to 170°F
. Operating humidity range: 90% RH Max

ECO MODE:
If AC power is connected, and the battery is not connected, the charger will automatically go into ECO mode. Input power draw in ECO mode is less than 1.5W (0.04kWh per day).
Power consumption in maintenance mode is 0.05kWh per day.

MAIN FEATURES:​

1. High efficiency (>85%).​

2. Selectable charging rates to suit battery capacity.​

3. Selectable battery type.​

4. Temperature self-compensation: Charging voltage adapts to temperature to prevent over or under battery charging.​

5. Capable of recharging severely discharged or heavily sulfated battery.​

6. Reverse polarity protection, short circuit protection, sparks freecontact.​

7. Ultra low input power consumption while in standby mode.​

8. Ease of use. Clear charging status display.​

9. Full microprocessor controlled.​

10. Does not over charge your battery even if it is kept connected in maintenance float mode.​

Product Specification

Product NameCar marine battery charger 13.8V 5A lead acid battery charger
Input VoltageAC 100~240V 50/60HZ
OutletCustom design
Output voltage13.8V
Output current2A 4A 8A
ProtectionOVP/OCP/Short circuit
Output Reverser ProtectionYes
Charge modeAuto 7 stages
Charging endFloat Charing
CertificateCE FCC ROHS PSE RCM
ColorBlack
Charge manageMicroprocessor Controlled
Warranty18 Months

Hot Tags: 12v 2a 4a 8a lead acid battery charger 3in1 multifunctional 7-step battery charger, manufacturers China, suppliers, factory, wholesale, discount, price, trickle charger for car, trickle charger 6v, trickle charger for car battery, motorcycle charger for battery, trickle charger for automobiles, battery maintainer

1682578310025.png

Hello thanks for the replies. Sorry should have said I got the picture as the light was flashing on stage on stage 6 stupidly i didn't retake it to show that. I'll get a multimeter on it tomorrow when i get the chance and check what the voltage is of the battery. If it's still 15.4v should i take that that it is ok or get another charger on it?

The charger spec looks ok.

Check with a multimeter first.

I'd image things are ok and the USB meter thing is just a bit off.

Fwiw,
. The charger should drop the voltage down to 13.6/8v when 100% charged.

You said you had a 95ah AGM.

So an 8amp charger could take 12hrs or more to fully charge.

Got a multimeter on it this morning. Same thing as before gradually build s up to the voltage. Multimeter shows 15.31 and USB one show 15.4. Charger is on agm 8a charge and green light flashing on stage 6. So is it safe to use? Or will I damage the battery? Or worse

20230428_112809.jpg

20230428_112506.jpg

20230428_112454.jpg

Hello, I have one of these units in my new campervan and I have just plugged it in for the first time, and all the lights appear to be lit up/flickering. Has anyone seen this/know what is going on? I forgot to take a picture. But can possibly get one tomorrow.

Richard

Back