Rattling adjusters on arm rests

osman

Steve O
VIP Member
T6 Guru
Whilst trying to tame some of the members of my rattle symphony orchestra also referred to as my t6 I’ve noticed that two big offenders are the arm rest height adjusters .. they pick up on the beat and can’t help but join in with the overall rattling going on
. It occurred to me that many have two of these accursed seats in the van ! So four sources of pain . Anyone worked out a way of keeping these from rattling ? I wind them up tight but they seem to work out a way of getting loose again very quickly .. and whilst we are here how about the seat creaking ? Any solution to that exquisite inconvenience ?

Whilst trying to tame some of the members of my rattle symphony orchestra also referred to as my t6 I’ve noticed that two big offenders are the arm rest height adjusters .. they pick up on the beat and can’t help but join in with the overall rattling going on
. It occurred to me that many have two of these accursed seats in the van ! So four sources of pain . Anyone worked out a way of keeping these from rattling ? I wind them up tight but they seem to work out a way of getting loose again very quickly .. and whilst we are here how about the seat creaking ? Any solution to that exquisite inconvenience ?
Can’t help ...but if you find the answer your make a lot of owners happy....tried everything....just very poor design.....they rattle so much in the upright position the thread nut moves and the arm drops :cry:

My armrest rattled when it was in the upright position, VW replaced it under warranty.

I would love it if someone found a fix for this, ours rattle all the time unless the arm rests are in the down position.

I would love it if someone found a fix for this, ours rattle all the time unless the arm rests are in the down position.
That would annoy me intensely.. just having one seat doing it is enough ... when upright they are right by the side of the ears as well ... could not be a worse design .. only plus is it’s obvious where the noise is coming from !
It’s the rattles that come from mystery locations that can really get me rattled

Both of mine rattle in the upright position but I never drive more than 1/2 mile with them up so I can live with it. It’s more noticeable now as the van is pretty quiet after sound deadening.
If there is a cure I still like to know what it is.
I’m really surprised that @Oldrat managed to get a warranty replacement.

I also got VW to do one for me ( warranty) but that was hard work....but guess what ...Now that too rattles...I’ve now got a pre-drive off procedure...Put the bloody arms down...and the subject of little rattles the top seat belt mount rattles..but fixed that with stretched cling film pulled tight around the back of the cover

I also got VW to do one for me ( warranty) but that was hard work....but guess what ...Now that too rattles...I’ve now got a pre-drive off procedure...Put the bloody arms down...and the subject of little rattles the top seat belt mount rattles..but fixed that with stretched cling film pulled tight around the back of the cover
I was expecting to hear a replaced one still had the issue .. it’s ridiculous to have to put the arms down .. it’s nice when you are getting into a long ride .. but extremely annoying when piffling about .. and with all this lockdown bullshit these things become more apparent

I used some spray grease on mine, carefully squirted through a straw attachment, they are pretty much silent now.

I can’t hear mine rattle, but it does annoy me that I need to reset the arm rest each time as it’s always at the lowest point after being up for a while.

You can read all the books, watch all the How too...Videos....but nothing like seeing it done ...so let’s hope that when we can all meet up again and share a drink round the old camp fires ...Some brave sole will give us a demo ...on ‘How to stop the RATTLE “. :laugh::laugh:

Merry Christmas

Mine dont rattle (yet) but why not try setting them where you want them, then putting blue tak or similar round the thread to keep them where they are, would think that will stop the rattle and can be removed easily enough?

I used some spray grease on mine, carefully squirted through a straw attachment, they are pretty much silent now.
Where did you insert the straw?
I was wondering about doing the same job with expanding foam - they drive me nuts! Definitely worse in the T6 than the previous T5s I had.
Does anyone know if the arm rests can be dismantled? I also wondered about filling them with some low density foam of something if they can be....

The whole rattling problem stems from the bloody awful suspension in these vehicles .. anything that has the ability to move will eventually rattle .. after fishing with a piece of cardboard and double sided tape along the gap between the windscreen and dashboard I scored 3 pens and a guitar pic ! All of which had been driving me nuts ... then something else started ....it was the plastic cover at the top of the rear view mirror ! Lol . So the arm rests are now back at the top of my list of pet hates .. that’s after taking the drivers seat off and spraying every moving part with silicon spray to get rid of the creaking !
It’s taken a year or so but I pretty much know the source of all my annoyances in the cab .. once they are sorted I will point my attention towards the orchestra that plays in the back of the vehicle .actually to be fair the rear is pretty stable as I made sure of it .. but I do think the outer rear wheel liners are looser then they should be and make a fair amount of unnecessary road noise . Jeez when I think about all the issues I’ve had since I bought this van second hand and the different stuff I’ve fixed it’s quite amazing .. I had an undersized spare wheel that was loose as the holder was designed for a bigger wheel ! That drove me nuts .. presently I’m reasonably happy but would like better suspension .. but until normal life resumes I cannot justify the expense

Last edited:
The whole rattling problem stems from the bloody awful suspension in these vehicles .. anything that has the ability to move will eventually rattle .. after fishing with a piece of cardboard and double sided tape along the gap between the windscreen and dashboard I scored 3 pens and a guitar pic ! All of which had been driving me nuts ... then something else started ....it was the plastic cover at the top of the rear view mirror ! Lol . So the arm rests are now back at the top of my list of pet hates .. that’s after taking the drivers seat off and spraying every moving part with silicon spray to get rid of the creaking !
It’s taken a year or so but I pretty much know the source of all my annoyances in the cab .. once they are sorted I will point my attention towards the orchestra that plays in the back of the vehicle .actually to be fair the rear is pretty stable as I made sure of it .. but I do think the outer rear wheel liners are looser then they should be and make a fair amount of unnecessary road noise . Jeez when I think about all the issues I’ve had since I bought this van second hand and the different stuff I’ve fixed it’s quite amazing .. I had an undersized spare wheel that was loose as the holder was designed for a bigger wheel ! That drove me nuts .. presently I’m reasonably happy but would like better suspension .. but until normal life resumes I cannot justify the expense
Sounds like someone needs a hug :slow rofl:

What’s this grease via a straw gaff, I want onboard with that idea. I too have a insane dislike for the rattling arms rest adjusters. Tempted to glue them in place when they are set.

Last edited:
Back