Raising the suspension for off road use

Glenn Board

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi, I have a 4 motion LWB which i use for hot air ballooning, I want to raise the van a little to provide more ground clearance and maybe fit taller tyres or bigger wheels, has anybody done this, any recommendations please?

@Loz and @Bryn23 have fitted the desert lift kit from seikel I believe. Its possibly on my to do list. Depending on post conversion ride comfort on standard springs.

Yes, I have hone this and we're very pleased with the results, not cheap but worth it IMHO.

Cost including fitting and 4wheel alignment approx 1800
I had the job done by Coast VW in South Moulton

As Ed pointed out, i have the Seikel Lift as well.

But mine is the Seikel Maxi HD which is for the T32 LWB and it uses Monroe instead of Bilsten.

I got a 30mm lift in the front and at the moment its sitting 60mm higher in the rear. (once the RIB, Battery and water tank are in, it should settle another 10mm)

I've been out on a few 4wd tracks, you really do notice the extra clearance, it handles heaps better off-road and on the tarmac.

I'm currently running Cargo Vector 2's and they are not bad

There is a 225/65 R17 BFG KO2 that is load rated, but i believe it isn't speed rated for you in the UK

That is about 4.5ish % increase in diameter from memory, i'm not sure on the brake loss at that % increase

A standard T6 is really high already, fit some taller tyres and you'll have as much clearance as a disco

Hi All, First time post. have had my T6 long wheel base 4 motion for a year. Love it and considering upgrading to seikel desert lift kit and appropriate tyres. I use van for both family weekends and work as a tradesman so carry loads and sometimes tow trailers. I guess i just want to know a few things:
1. Seikel worth the money?
2. I do a lot of driving on tarmac roads so just want to be convinced that the drive is still ok with AT tyres and lift kit?
Thanks

I had same doubts/worries, but its actuall improved the van, really pleased, highly recommend it. I have also got for taller tyres, and again no proble, the only issue is that its put the Milligan and trip computer out but corrected the actual speedometer! Spike had a mode, but told me that it could perminantly damage the cruise control, so i passed on this a, I have been told of a few thinks to try in VCDS, so I will soon to see if it can be fixed

A5517D25-1438-4C0F-B0A1-D8C835F92953.jpeg

C255A109-B710-4097-9B1A-BE7F4DE200A3.jpeg

79AE47ED-143F-4031-8C02-2638118AD1AD.jpeg

I have the factory fitted heavy duty suspension on my 4 motion but wth all my camper fitout I am finding that I dont have enough clearance for anything othere than mild off road. Has anyone considered airbags with an onboard controller to raise the vehicle when needed?
ADFD911B-C2B7-457C-BE38-5FCB63C30B32.jpeg

Hi Garry,

there was a guy looking in to it on the AU vw watercooled forum.

But the prices were quite pricey from memory, 9-11k, i believe he went down the same route as me and brought a Seikel lift kit from Trakka

Thanks Bryn.
That ia an awful lot of money. What a local airbag dealer has offered is to fit airbags on the rear only that can raise or lower the rear at will. They are tLiking around $1500. They did not have a solution for the front so i am seeing another 4x4 service place today to see if they have an alternative solution.

i actually like the idea of having onboard airbag control so i am able to level the van on a sloping block but not just the rear. i have seen the trakka solution but it does not give levelling capability and is also quite expensive.

Another option is to just get the King springs for a lift (i think they do 30mm and 50mm) and use the existing shocks, it would be the cheapest fix

The onboard control airbag would be a great if it wasn't for the pricing here, plus my engineer told be at the time, id have to get a engineer plate for it in QLD

From memory, i think i paid about 3K for the Seikel 30mm lift option here, and about $500 for fitting in Brisbane, Trakka will fit it for about $600 i think.

It was the best solution for me at the time and it was a lot cheaper than a air solution.

Hopefully the other 4x4 mob you see, will have a better solution

Bryn,
I am in Noosa till end of month then in Brisbane all July. Locals here can only fit rear airbags and nothing on front suspension change. One recommended seikel kit but talked lots and lots of dollars like neat $10k. do you have the Brisbane mob, maybe i can go talk to them next month.

Garry,

Nice spot to hang out in Winter.

I used Wolf 4x4 at North lakes (between Brisbane and Caboolture) to fit the Seikel kit, as they fit and supply Seikel kits for the Amarok.

They can't get in the Transporter Seikel Kits as Trakka is the Offical supplier for the Transporter Range in Aus.

Although, Seikel will ship to Australia, i just went through Trakka, as they had one in stock and i didn't have to wait and deal with customs.

Back