Raising the ride height

Danger

VIP Member
Hi all,

Please excuse the noob questions. I’ve recently bought a lovely T6 LWB kombi. It’s currently lowered on 20in wheels. It’s too low for me and the tyres rub at full lock so I’m planning to put it on 19in rims and raise it to 20mm less than standard to allow access to rough campsites.

Questions, is there anywhere near Slough recommended to do the work, what springs / kit do I need to buy and how much am I looking at?

Many thanks

DP

PS anyone want a set of VW 20in rims on nearly new tyres?

IMG_5266.jpeg

What suspension does it have currently?

If it has lowering springs with the original dampers, the chances are they will be pretty tired after being used outside of their designed working parameters. It would be advisable to change them for a spring and damper kit better suited to your needs.

If it has coilovers, they can be raised, although it's unlikely that they'll go as high as -20mm from standard ride height.

Being a camper and sitting as level as it is , I don’t think there are just springs in the van. M it would sit lower at the rear . @dubber36 is spot on regarding coil over being unable to do 20 mm. The only way to do 20 mm would be to buy some caravelle SWB springs. They are 20 mm lower and coupled to a set of Koni active. Shocks will give an amazing ride , you can put any tyre wheel combo on with that set up , even swamper . In fact the most comfort you can get from a transporter is swamper with special active shocks !

Thanks,

It’s just a bare van inside, no camper conversion. The heaviest it will ever be is four people plus camping gear. 20mm was just a ballpark guess for the best compromise for a little lower than standard but still able to deal with campsite and access tracks.

I’ll PM you for options and prices.

ATB

DP

Back