Project 400k - T5.1 to T6.1 facelift

Project 400

T5.1 to T6.1 facelift
Hi everyone! My first post as I need some of your expertise! Technically I own a T5.1 (don’t evict me!) but I am in the process of doing a T6.1 conversion and full respray of our 2014 LWB highline. I did read about body coded parts? But I really need some help with electrical stuff. Ideally I need a VW electrical expert who I could pay for a day to do various stuff. Such as:

Fitting T6.1 Front & Rear LED lights (inc fogs) need module.
Wire in electric internal boot release
Wire up westfalia tow bar so integrates with alarm and works with T6.1 LED lights.
Fit T5.1 multifunction buttons to steering wheel
Fit powerfold mirrors module (or are new mirrors needed?)

Sorry if I have asked too many questions on first post, I have plans for lots of other stuff but will post separately but hopefully you might be able to help. I live in the West Malvern (West Midlands)within walking distance of Busfest, hopefully we will get there again soon. Thanks & take care.

I will post pictures when I can.

forget about the headlights. need to change the whole system. The headlights operate on signals from the BCM unit.
the rest is easy

Thanks, standard headlights it is until someone brings out aftermarket ones!! What about the LED rear lights and fog lights? Are T6 fog lights same size? And LED or Halogen? Does anyone know? Thanks

Thanks, standard headlights it is until someone brings out aftermarket ones!! What about the LED rear lights and fog lights? Are T6 fog lights same size? And LED or Halogen? Does anyone know? Thanks
At the back you need taigate t6 t6.1 the same, rear bumpe t6 t6.1 the same, rear coner bumper trim t6 t6.1 the same, rear led lights t6.1, and need 2 6 pin connectors 1j0973733 for rear lights. ebay 11£ or scrap yard Audi a4B6 rear lights wire loom cut there.

Travelinlite do an aftermarket LED lookalike kit, with H7 bulbs, so better than the standard (T6) H4's. But the genuine LED lights are self levelling, and the aftermarket fits are horrendously expensive Genuine T6 Full LED Headlight Upgrade - Supply & Fit

At the back you need taigate t6 t6.1 the same, rear bumpe t6 t6.1 the same, rear coner bumper trim t6 t6.1 the same, rear led lights t6.1, and need 2 6 pin connectors 1j0973733 for rear lights. ebay 11£ or scrap yard Audi a4B6 rear lights wire loom cut there.

Really appreciate your help. I have a tailgate bumper from a T6, You certainly know your T6’s!! My T5.1 has fog lights that have cornering function, do you think the LED T6.1 fogs will work ok? I’m pleased the rear lights can work, would that be same for both types of T6.1 LED rear lights?

The van is being changed from barn doors to tailgate and another thing needs wiring up is the boot release so it only works when van is unlocked. Any help on this would be much appreciated. Thanks

my van t5.1 2012 full converted to t6.
t6 and t6.1 fog lights the same. there halogen bulbs you can put led bulbs. cornering works from BCM if it working now it will work after.

Please can I have opinions from you on best OEM T6 boot spoiler and where to buy?

Also (dreaming here) but T6.1 body kit options, or mainly Front splitters? I’ve seen ABT kit and LV vans one. Thoughts? Any other good options? I’m planning to gloss black the grilles. Thanks

What I have now I cant fit bike rack. wants to change to ABT.

I think the ABT rear spoiler makes van look taller but it’s all personal opinion. It’s good to know about bike racks though. How about tow-bar bike carrier one if rarely used?

Hi everyone! My first post as I need some of your expertise! Technically I own a T5.1 (don’t evict me!) but I am in the process of doing a T6.1 conversion and full respray of our 2014 LWB highline. I did read about body coded parts? But I really need some help with electrical stuff. Ideally I need a VW electrical expert who I could pay for a day to do various stuff. Such as:

Fitting T6.1 Front & Rear LED lights (inc fogs) need module.
Wire in electric internal boot release
Wire up westfalia tow bar so integrates with alarm and works with T6.1 LED lights.
Fit T5.1 multifunction buttons to steering wheel
Fit powerfold mirrors module (or are new mirrors needed?)

Sorry if I have asked too many questions on first post, I have plans for lots of other stuff but will post separately but hopefully you might be able to help. I live in the West Malvern (West Midlands)within walking distance of Busfest, hopefully we will get there again soon. Thanks & take care.

I will post pictures when I can.
T6.1 is a MQB platform and T6 and T5.1 is a PQ25. Electronically and electrically MQB is complete different from PQ25.
For example on T5.1 & T6 headlamps bulbs/lights (regardless of the type) are fed directly from the BCM but on T6.1 LED headlamps it is completely different approach (they have 2 power supply wires and then everything is controlled by connected CAN bus).

T6.1 is a MQB platform and T6 and T5.1 is a PQ25. Electronically and electrically MQB is complete different from PQ25.
For example on T5.1 & T6 headlamps bulbs/lights (regardless of the type) are fed directly from the BCM but on T6.1 LED headlamps it is completely different approach (they have 2 power supply wires and then everything is controlled by connected CAN bus).

Thanks for your message. The T6.1 front halogen lights should work ok do you think? I’ll have to wait for aftermarket LED ones if I decide to go for LEDs.

Regarding the rear lights apart from pin change (as Evgeni mentioned) the nicer LED rear lights should work ok? Or are they from CAN BUS too? Thanks

What he said:rolleyes:

Back