Problem with aftermarket puddle lights connected to door lock on 2019 T6

Moved one door puddle light off the lock sensor and onto the courtesy circuit that I have going to the mirror puddle lights:
PXL_20210202_234612420.jpg
PXL_20210202_234753484.jpg
And removed the t-taps and made good the loom.

The plot thickens again...I still have the passenger door puddle light running off the door latch sensor, but get this; when the nearside sliding door is open and the passenger door closed, the puddle light on the passenger door illuminates!

• Wow
Reactions: mmi
So, moving on, I would recommend that anyone with these puddle lights reconsider the way they are connected to their van. I will be changing mine to the courtesy lighting circuit as soon as I can.

2 weeks after fitting the v2 puddle & red "open door" warning lights as per @saxoboy 's well written instructions to the door lock/unlock circuit, all is still well and working as they should.
No error codes, no weird goings on.
Swapped the halogen bulb with the supplied LED version on the red warning light and jobs a gud 'un
The door card was easier to cut with a Stanley knife after it was heated gently with a hot air gun to soften it up.
Well chuffed with how they look

Did you get your wiring sorted @Andysmee ?

Red door & puddle lights lit up (3).jpg

2 weeks after fitting the v2 puddle & red "open door" warning lights as per @saxoboy 's well written instructions to the door lock/unlock circuit, all is still well and working as they should.
Swapped the halogen bulb with the supplied LED version on the red warning light and jobs a gud 'un
The door card was easier to cut with a Stanley knife after it was heated gently with a hot air gun to soften it up.

View attachment 113967
Beautiful :inlove:

View attachment 113967
Yes, I moved all of mine onto the courtesy circuit

My final conclusion is that only puddle lamps/lights with verified voltage threshold of at least 6V should be used.
Here's a matching plot of voltage threshold of a VW OEM load area roof LED light. The illuminance values are not calibrated ones - just had a cell phone 0.5 metres apart + an Android app "Keuwlsoft - Light Sensor Counter".

Light illuminates when voltage exceeds 7 Volts (current 0.44mA) - certainly very dim glow then.
Markings on the light: 12.5 V, 4.9W
1621063098191.png
1621063270313.pngT6_load_area_LED_a.png
A_note_to_myself_mmi ><

Matti your professionalism is amazing :D.
Well done :thumbsup:.

Reactions: mmi
Oldie thread but I just measured courtesy timed positive against door contact switched ground ie black, brown/black in door card.

Door closed
IMG_3732.jpeg

After courtesy circuit times out
IMG_3734.jpeg

I made the warning lights from a piece of a led strip and two diodes to limit the max current a bit. Although on bench I saw 8.2V needed for first glow they seem to glow ever so slightly when courtesy circuit has not yet timed out. But it’s so minor I’m not worried unless I note some other weird side effects going forward.

I think BCM measures the contact circuit functionality continuously and that’s why there’s this little bit weird signalling going on.

Last edited:
Back