Problem with aftermarket puddle lights connected to door lock on 2019 T6

Andysmee

Previously the last of the TSI's
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I thought the saga of the door opening lights was over, but when I was out in the van last night something odd happened. As you know, my door opening lights glow slightly when the doors are closed (see explanation above) but I suddenly noticed they were glowing brightly when I was waiting at some.traffic lights. It turns out that the door opening lights come on whenever the indicators are on!

Could someone with puddle lights do a check for me....switch your engine on and open your door to trigger the door puddle light. Then use a screwdriver or long nose pliers to latch the door latch and trick the door into appearing closed, the puddle light should go off. First look at the light and check it's off, then try switching the indicators on and check the light remains off?

I have factory puddle lights on the sidebars as part of the factory kit.

The puddle lights have a loom that goes up to the center roof light console. And conects to the light loom conector with a Y splitter cable.

The puddle lights some on/off with the interior roof lights....

What puddle lights you got.?

Where are they powered from.?

1611501233632.png

1611501246166.png

My (aftermarket) don’t, but I did buy LEDs with an amber diode in them which I wired in to the indicator repeaters (in the hope to give a better side profile when indicating)... turns out the puddle lights only flash amber when the door is open (and the LEDs illuminated) :thumbsdown:

My (aftermarket) don’t, but I did buy LEDs with an amber diode in them which I wired in to the indicator repeaters (in the hope to give a better side profile when indicating)... turns out the puddle lights only flash amber when the door is open (and the LEDs illuminated) :thumbsdown:
@Texxaco did a nice mod on indicator repeaters but I can’t find the post

Would someone with aftermarket puddle lights on the door try the test? You would not know with the door shut what the behaviour is.

I think you are all trying to be too helpful by using the search :) and it's not a thread about how to do puddle lights, hence I posted it in general to get some response.

Could someone with puddle lights do a check for me....switch your engine on and open your door to trigger the door puddle light. Then use a screwdriver or long nose pliers to latch the door latch and trick the door into appearing closed, the puddle light should go off. First look at the light and check it's off, then try switching the indicators on and check the light remains off?
Could someone with puddle lights do a check for me....switch your engine on and open your door to trigger the door puddle light. All good puddle lights come on

Then use a screwdriver or long nose pliers to latch the door latch and trick the door into appearing closed, the puddle light should go. Yes mine go off

First look at the light and check it's off, then try switching the indicators on and check the light remains off? Mine remain off

I have factory puddle lights on the sidebars as part of the factory kit.

The puddle lights have a loom that goes up to the center roof light console. And conects to the light loom conector with a Y splitter cable.

The puddle lights some on/off with the interior roof lights....

What puddle lights you got.?

Where are they powered from.?

View attachment 100040

View attachment 100041
Lee does this mean they will come on if you manually turn your ceiling light on?

Could someone with puddle lights do a check for me....switch your engine on and open your door to trigger the door puddle light. All good puddle lights come on

Then use a screwdriver or long nose pliers to latch the door latch and trick the door into appearing closed, the puddle light should go. Yes mine go off

First look at the light and check it's off, then try switching the indicators on and check the light remains off? Mine remain off
Same

Sadly this doesn't help unravel the mystery of why the wires I've tapped into on my 2019 panel van don't give the same behaviour as others'. Why any wire behind the (standard) door card would change voltage when the indicators come on is a mystery. I'm not taking a feed from the wing mirror loom (except for my ambient lighting in the doors, which is independent...or is it, I will check) and indicators don't seem involved in the door lock operation?

I had a similar problem when I fitted my puddle lights, the instructions stated take a feed from a red/white wire. Obviously I took the feed off of the other red/white wire. Didn’t think there were two.
@saxoboy helped me out and they now work.

Maybe @saxoboy could help with your dilemma?

Back