Pre-cut Ply and Hidden Clips

OllieGBR

VCDS user
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I thought I could make my own templates for the ply, however this is a little more difficult in practice.

Who do you recommend for the supply of ply panels and hidden clips? I’ve already carpeted (I was initially planning to carpet over the ply), so want a panel with the clip locations pre marked is possible? From reading some of the forum’s experiences I’m thinking 5/6mm for the ply thickness?

Would the same company supply flooring also?

Thanks as always
Ollie.

What hassle have you had making your own? Is it bare in the back or does it have crappy std vw ones.
I used mine as a template and cut my own drilled 10mmØ holes for MVM hidden clips. Worked a treat!

I don’t have the Originals to make a template from :( I tried to template it myself but just don’t have the skills or patience.

There are suppliers on EBay. Can’t remember precisely who I used.

Pete

Custom shop design do them.
3.6mm ply is the most forgiving for panels.
6mm ply and hidden clips don't go unless you counter sink every hole by 2mm.

You could buy/borrow some kombi panels to use as templates then sell them on. I don't know if this would work out less hassle or expense than just buying pre cut?

You could buy/borrow some kombi panels to use as templates then sell them on. I don't know if this would work out less hassle or expense than just buying pre cut?
I only threw mine out Monday morning.:confused:
The rear quarter panels on STD Kombi are too short at the bottom. Has breather holes in them and finish about 6 inches to short. I elongated mine by using a cardboard template.

By all accounts they're not worth much, if anything. Apparently conversion companies may have them in their skip.....
I'll be doing mine soon but I'm down in Portsmouth

Just doing a search on here shows some good/bad reviews on the pre cut panels.........ie ........some de-laminate and holes not lining up. Others have been spot on.
Seems like a game of roulette.
If you want to make your own I think you should put a post on here in the wanted section......see if anyone near you can lend/sell you a set and then you can give them back or sell them on.
You will find a lot of people in this forum are very helpful and accommodating.
3.6mm ply was £20 a sheet for me........i needed 4 sheets to do all panels including roof.
Saved me about £100 doing it myself.

Did you get contact for ply panels? There is a guy Plymouth that does them. Pm for details.

I am also about to ply the floor, does anyone know if the floor layout is the same for a t5 and t6 kombi? Thanks

Excuse a really silly questions but what’s wrong with the OEM panels and what’s the real difference once they’ve been covered. Are the OEM ones hardboard?

My van is plyline (or was) and has the hardboard panels. I bought some hidden clips hoping I could use my ply instead of the thin hardboard but turns out the hidden clips only work on the 3mm hardboard not my 6mm ply.

Has anyone managed to find any hidden clips for 6mm ply that doesn't mean i have to try to countersink every clip?
Cheers

I'm looking to source the same too pre cut side boards and the 12mm ply floor but not sure who to order from.

Excuse a really silly questions but what’s wrong with the OEM panels and what’s the real difference once they’ve been covered. Are the OEM ones hardboard?
The lower panels are hardboard and I used these as templates.
It’s the upper panels I’m trying to make.

I'm looking to source the same too pre cut side boards and the 12mm ply floor but not sure who to order from.
I bought the floor in three pieces pre-cut from eBay. Only minor trimming required.

My van is plyline (or was) and has the hardboard panels. I bought some hidden clips hoping I could use my ply instead of the thin hardboard but turns out the hidden clips only work on the 3mm hardboard not my 6mm ply.

Has anyone managed to find any hidden clips for 6mm ply that doesn't mean i have to try to countersink every clip?
Cheers
I used the ones from Megavanmats. You need some force to get them in, but they hold well and look good.

Cheers
What do you mean by "clip". I thought you countersunk the holes in the boards?...

My boards from CustomShopDesigns (Ebay) were delivered yesterday. Hopefully I'll get to trial fit them today and I'll let you know how they are.

Custom shop design do them.
3.6mm ply is the most forgiving for panels.
6mm ply and hidden clips don't go unless you counter sink every hole by 2mm.
I agree with this custom shop design supplied mine and the floor would recommend and yes use 3.6 and the longer pushin clips

Yes the OEM ones are hardboard and if you get them wet they will swell and buckle. They also don't hold screws very well. That said lots of people proffesional camper outfits included are happy to cover them with carpet. Guess its easier and cheaper. I personally used 3.5mm WPB plywood as its a good thickness won't be easily damaged by water and is more resistant to impact damage. Its quite easy to make your own if you have originals to template especially if you have a router and a trimming bit with a bearing.
However as @OllieGBR doesnt have original panels its a bit of a fag. Maybe someone not too far away has a set in the shed you can borrow or there is a converter nearby who chucks them out.

Back