What type of ply and how to template?

Lee8210

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi all, I want to use 3.6mm ply for walls and ceiling, what type should I be using?
Would this be ok? 3.6mm x 2440mm x 1220mm General Purpose Plywood

I also want to use hidden trim clips, I have the old side panels to use as a template but no ceiling panels, what is the best way to template to get the holes drilled in the right place, make a cardboard template?

Thanks.

I used cardboard, and you can feel where the holes are and poke through. An alternative is to have blu-tack on the back of the template in roughly the right place, and you can then pick up an impression of the hole.

Perhaps give Kernow Campers a bell - I’m sure they chuck out lots of hardboard side and roof panels - look about 30mins away.

I used cardboard, and you can feel where the holes are and poke through. An alternative is to have blu-tack on the back of the template in roughly the right place, and you can then pick up an impression of the hole.
Thought that would be the best way thanks, did you just use normal 3.6mm ply?

I’m quite DIY capable but when I looked into cutting my own panels Eg cost of buying the ply then the time and effort to cut them out Vs the cost of CNC pre cut panels I decided on the latter.

I used Custom Shop Designs and everything fitted perfectly. I used exposed clips but think they can cater for hidden clips.

I varnished all the edges with a spirit based polyurethane clear varnish just to help seal the ply and prevent any delamination due to moisture. Covered with 4 way stretch from Harrison Trim Supplies.

Sometimes its just easier to get (pay) someone else to do the hard work!

Ian

I’m quite DIY capable but when I looked into cutting my own panels Eg cost of buying the ply then the time and effort to cut them out Vs the cost of CNC pre cut panels I decided on the latter.

I used Custom Shop Designs and everything fitted perfectly. I used exposed clips but think they can cater for hidden clips.

I varnished all the edges with a spirit based polyurethane clear varnish just to help seal the ply and prevent any delamination due to moisture. Covered with 4 way stretch from Harrison Trim Supplies.

Sometimes its just easier to get (pay) someone else to do the hard work!

Ian
I have been looking at Custom Shop Designs and their kits look decent, for a full kit they are just under £400, I have just found a local building supplier that can supply the materials for £140, £260 is a decent saving but as you say more work.

@Lee8210
Are you carpeting your panels or are you just leaving them? You didn’t say in your original post.

Back