Pop Up Roof Ride Quality

JP19

Hi All,

I am hoping to convert a Kombi into a Caravelle spec and include a pop up roof, probably a Reimo.

I have been told that the ride quality suffers as so much of the structural integrity is removed, does anyone have a comment on this?

Secondly, is the roof prone to squeaks and creaks?

Any comments greatly received,
Thanks.

There will be some changes. I have yet to be in any vehicle that has been chopped and doesn't have an increase in road noise, squeeks, creaks or rattles. My last two elevating roofs have both been Reimo and there is increased wind noise and only creaks across uneven ground (off road) but no discernible difference in handling IMO.

Last edited:
The torsional rigidity is maintained by using a heavy duty frame for the roof. I haven't heard of anyone complaining that their roof is causing ride or handling problems.

My roof doesn't squeak at all (Austops) but my dashboard creaks like a bloomin galleon.

Hi All,

I am hoping to convert a Kombi into a Caravelle spec and include a pop up roof, probably a Reimo.

I have been told that the ride quality suffers as so much of the structural integrity is removed, does anyone have a comment on this?

Secondly, is the roof prone to squeaks and creaks?

Any comments greatly received,
Thanks.

I have a Reimo roof and it was the first thing fitted in my conversion, before anything else, so just an empty van. The bed board creaked as it was against the re-enforced frame of the roof. Once I carpeted the van it's totally silent.

There is some wind noise over 65mph but only minimal.

As for rigidity, no issues at all, I saw mine in the raw and during fitting, it is a really hefty piece of re-enforcement that gets bolted / rivetted into the roof.
:thumbsup:

I have a Reimo roof installed in a SWB Kombi with full camper conversion.
The only squeak I’ve had is where the front of the bed board contacted the plastic frame. Easily solved with a couple of small self adhesive cushion pads.
The quality is good and I’d expect it to be for the cost! I don’t imagine there is a more rigid pop top available as the Reimo is a hefty bit of kit.
One thing to consider is it does add to the overall height of the van. I never had a chance of getting into a 2m limit car park with a standard suspension / wheel Highline T32 so I’m not too bothered.
When you don’t use it very often it also doubles a the most expensive roof insulation available!

I've got a HiLo, a few very small knocks when going over a particularly bad road, but other than that it's quiet and no wind noise difference at all at speed.

The HiLo has a very sturdy frame so again no difference in rigidity or handling as far as I can tell.

I have a Reimo and so far not a creak or squeak. Same with the ride quality and noise, I drove the van as a straight kombi for 6 months and if anything it’s quieter now!

Had two austop roofs on two vans and both have been perfect no noise etc.
It may depend who fits them as that will play a part on if they creak etc.

Back