Pop-top waterproofing issues?

banksey88

Hi,

We’ve got a pop-top fitted which is our converters own design. We had to have our roof replaced last year including the canvas for another issue we had.

Since the roof/canvas was replaced, the first time we had the pop-top up in the rain it was clear the canvas was not fully waterproof in certain areas of the fabric mainly at the bottom. We have taken our van back to the converter and they are denying this issue is there responsibility and accusing us of using chemicals on the canvas (we have never done this and always wash the van with the roof down).

When the roof was replaced, they badly scratched the van roof where the canvas meets. The van had to go back again to correct this and be repainted. We suggested that the issue could be because of paints/lacquer they used as they didn’t remove the canvas when painting. Could this be a possibility for the canvas not being waterproof in certain areas?

Does anyone have any experience into why the canvas wouldn’t be waterproofed in certain areas?

Thanks.

Detergent in the van wash getting on the fabric? Even roof down, you could get the wash solution on the canvas. Give it a good Fabsil treatment. ( based on experience with Paramo rather than rent canvas)

Hello, ope you dont mind me jumping on the thread, I am thinking of getting a poptop with a canvas material vs skyline vynil, however i am just wondering if the canvas is waterproof? - does one need to treat a canvas poptop regularly oronce a yr so say. any advice would be great. im currently umming and arring about a skyline vs Hilo. cheers

My pop-top is a canvas one, and we have no issues with leaks. It also is free of condensation even with four in. Our next van will have a canvas pop top, to avoid the condensation you get with vinyl. I looked at Skyline, but there are a few mentions on this forum about how to best mop up the condensation in the morning.

My pop-top is a canvas one, and we have no issues with leaks. It also is free of condensation even with four in. Our next van will have a canvas pop top, to avoid the condensation you get with vinyl. I looked at Skyline, but there are a few mentions on this forum about how to best mop up the condensation in the morning.
Ok thanks for the info, I didn't think of condensation being an issue, but now you mention it!
Many thanks

just wondering what type of poptop you have - reimo, Hilo, Storm?
cheers

Back