Pop Top weight advice

Nigel L

T6 Pro
So, having used our Camper mainly as a day van for days out etc for the past year, we are now looking to take some weekend breaks away in it.
So, I have a couple of questions that I would be grateful if could be answered from the wealth of experience on here.
1. Is there a maximum weight that the pop top will take? ie, will it take 2 adults, or are they primarily designed for children.
2. Other than clambering up on the seats and kitchen unit etc to get into the roof, does anyone on here use any kind of ladder, and if so, any links to any.
Many thanks.

1, all depends on which roof bed you decide on. A pop-top may not necessarily come with a roof bed. Ours is a Reimo & will happily take 2 adults.
2, we stand on the front seats & pull ourselves up. We’ve never slept in it, but it’s somewhere nice to go on a warm lazy afternoon for a snooze or a read.

We use a short telescopic ladder. Works great and takes the temptation of standing on the armrests or folded double seat back away

I bought a 2 section ladder from CampervanBits but have not used it yet:rolleyes: as no one has slept up there..

We keep one of these in the van to stand on and pull the roof down but can also be used to aid getting up/down etc.

Last edited:

I quite liked this idea, plastic is less likely to damage seats.

We were told our Redline conversion has a max recommended weight up top of 15 stone, so one adult or two children. They can fit a thicker base board if two adults want to sleep up there, but don't fit it routinely because of the extra weight and most people don't use the space for two adults.

We sleep in the bed without problems in the Reimo top and use the ladders to access it. Do not stand on the arm rest of the seats as they will break off after time. Buy the two piece ladder for easy storage when not in use.
Enjoy.

Back