Pop top 5cm mattress uncomfortable

8APS

VIP Member
Hi, just putting it out there regarding mattresses for pop tops. I bought a 5cm self inflating double one that fits and can still close the roof for travelling but I find that it’s not that comfy. Is there anything good out there that anyone can recommend which also allows the roof to close when left up there?

Cheers

Hi, just putting it out there regarding mattresses for pop tops. I bought a 5cm self inflating double one that fits and can still close the roof for travelling but I find that it’s not that comfy. Is there anything good out there that anyone can recommend which also allows the roof to close when left up there?

Cheers
Hi
You’ll probably have some useful replies, but not more humorous than above, if search the threads/Forums on here that mention relevant search criteria;
eg ‘Camper mattress’

Or on the VW California Club site;

Search results for query: Poptop mattress

Hope this helps
Cheers, Andy

Thanks Andy I will take a look
I take it most people want to leave their mattresses up top save deflating and storing away each time??

Hi @8APS
You’re most welcome.
With a mattress that is self-inflating you could maybe try something like a 7.5cm version, but release the valves to soften mattress before lowering the roof?

Many thanks for that and I believe when self inflating, you have to leave the valves open for approx 1hr???

Seem to remember the standard answer on this being Decathlon's air mattress, which is a good width. Can leave up there deflated and inflate as necessary.

Ours usually lives in our Kombi (no poptop) with valves open. After a few uses it now stays at max thickness, but soft, if left with valves open. If I squeeze it to roll it up it only takes a few minutes to return to inflated thickness. If I need it rolled really tight for storage at home I close one valve and use Henry the vacuum to empty it completely.
It’s definitely easier/quicker to inflate/deflate than it was when new and newer versions have much bigger valves which should also help.
Cheers

Thanks Andy I will take a look
I take it most people want to leave their mattresses up top save deflating and storing away each time??
I've got this 5 cm self-inflator, and I agree...it's not the most comfortable for this old boy:

But I don't leave my mattress up top when not in use...I deflate it every time (getting it back in the bag is always a great way to end a trip too ;) ). I just can't bring myself to leaving it up there...am worried about lack of circulation/condensation, etc...I have a Hilo, and so there's zero amount of wiggle room once the lid is down...even though I know some do leave theirs inflated

I've got this 5 cm self-inflator, and I agree...it's not the most comfortable for this old boy:

But I don't leave my mattress up top when not in use...I deflate it every time (getting it back in the bag is always a great way to end a trip too ;) ). I just can't bring myself to leaving it up there...am worried about lack of circulation/condensation, etc...I have a Hilo, and so there's zero amount of wiggle room once the lid is down...even though I know some do leave theirs inflated
@amo1968red, do you reckon one of these mattresses plus a 5cm Duvalay would be comfortable enough for a side-sleeper with "old bones"?

@amo1968red, do you reckon one of these mattresses plus a 5cm Duvalay would be comfortable enough for a side-sleeper with "old bones"?
Yep, I would assume that would be fine @Bav . The only reason I don't use anything in addition is because it's just another item to hump about...and probably something else that would annoy the snot out of me when it comes to putting it back into it's (no doubt) ill-fitting bag. My wife takes herself away for a cup of tea when it's 'packing up time' as apparently I'm a little grumpy ;)

Try a memory foam mattress , much more comfortable . We have one in the poptop that stays up there and is extremely comfortable - it’s a 5cm

Yep, I would assume that would be fine @Bav . The only reason I don't use anything in addition is because it's just another item to hump about...and probably something else that would annoy the snot out of me when it comes to putting it back into it's (no doubt) ill-fitting bag. My wife takes herself away for a cup of tea when it's 'packing up time' as apparently I'm a little grumpy ;)
Cheers.

The packing thing sounds eerily familiar. :rofl:

Austops have a foli sprung bed base that mattress sits on - comfy as.
What does foli sprung mean? I have an Austops and I have the mattress, but it just sits on a plywood base. I think I'm missing out on the "foli sprung" bit!

Back