Poor FM/AM signal

Goldy

VIP Member
Afternoon all
I'm in the process of fitting a new Alpine head unit, with the engine running the FM/AM signal is virtually none existing. Turn the ignition off it's fine, I've narrowed it down to the headlights coming on. I've recently fitting the THQ v3 headlights along with the LED bulbs.
Has anyone else had the same issue ? if so how did you fix it.

How's DAB reception (assuming the new head unit has got it)?

Sounds like you are getting more electrical noise from the LED drivers than you should.

I'd first double check the antenna connections and ensure they are good and clean, it might just be an incomplete ground.

I don't usually comment on the more technical stuff as I'm content to leave that to people who know about it but @roadtripper is probably on the money here. That said, having had to research and troubleshoot DAB reception on my Kenwood 8020 head unit, part of me is surprised that it's AM/FM that's giving you grief as everything that I've read points to DAB as the much more common problem.

I don't usually comment on the more technical stuff as I'm content to leave that to people who know about it but @roadtripper is probably on the money here. That said, having had to research and troubleshoot DAB reception on my Kenwood 8020 head unit, part of me is surprised that it's AM/FM that's giving you grief as everything that I've read points to DAB as the much more common problem.
This was my thinking - DAB tends to be more sensitive so if that is fine and AM/FM not then more likely a screening issue. Not based on any specific T6/6.1 knowledge just experience as general geek.

Back