Ply Floor - Glue Or Screw

How much 9mm ply is needed for the batons - a full size sheet?
EDIT: I'm needing to get kombi seats out, floor down and RIB in with the van out of action for child transportation for as little time as possible.

Last edited:
How much 9mm ply is needed for the batons - a full size sheet?
EDIT: I'm needing to get kombi seats out, floor down and RIB in with the van out of action for child transportation for as little time as possible.
you wont need a full sheet but a half sheet may be too small, depending on where you place the spacers. We use 6mm not 9mm.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

"We use 6mm not 9mm."
Thanks @Eclipse Campers. You said you glue both batons and floor though? I'm using a layer of insulation (5mm gold stuff from Harrisons), so would be screwing. Guess I could use 20mm screws. Does 9mm sit proud of the floor ridges? Happy to save whatever floor depth I can. Do you not insulate then if glueing?
Also, if I glued the 12mm floor, would you use Sikaflex or something that is applied with a tilers spreading 'comb'?
Thanks

we dont insulate unless asked for. You will need thicker battens if insulation. We never screw. Sikaflex vit V nozzle, not comb. We can supply you a one piece CNC cut floor if required.

Cheers,
Ian:thumbsup::thumbsup:

This is how I did it

1. Glue Batons
2. sound deadening
3. insulation 6mm hard sheeting
4. 12mm ply sheeting fixed to rails with Countersunk M8 threaded, which I know is not what your doing,

however, there is no right or wrong way, I did this way due to running cables and possibly need access again in the future...

good luck with your build:thumbsup:

B8DECEAA-4AE2-41C1-9C6A-4F4F8E2BBF60.jpeg

3AD38EEB-D613-4107-B317-D60E1382572B.jpeg

CEA136F2-8921-41C2-A1ED-4BD2FC64ADCF.jpeg

you wont need a full sheet but a half sheet may be too small, depending on where you place the spacers. We use 6mm not 9mm.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
We can supply you a one piece CNC cut floor if required.

Cheers Ian, I have the 12mm floor already. I'm going to go for minimal thickness, so 6mm batons, 5mm gold foam insulation then screwed down with 20mm screws. I reckon it will compress the insulation over the metal ridges, saving a few mm and be pretty solid. RIB will be bolted through the rear section anyway, so it's not going anywhere. Not after thermal insulation really, but reducing noise would be good. Put some material savings towards an Eton speaker upgrade, which will drown any squeaks :cool::thumbsup:

Cheers Ian, I have the 12mm floor already. I'm going to go for minimal thickness, so 6mm batons, 5mm gold foam insulation then screwed down with 20mm screws. I reckon it will compress the insulation over the metal ridges, saving a few mm and be pretty solid. RIB will be bolted through the rear section anyway, so it's not going anywhere. Not after thermal insulation really, but reducing noise would be good. Put some material savings towards an Eton speaker upgrade, which will drown any squeaks :cool::thumbsup:
Yep that should be ok, we are Eton dealers also :) :)

How did this go? We are doing something similar and wondering whether we should cut squares of the harrison trim gold matting to go between the batons, or just put it under or over the batons in one piece?

This is how I did it

1. Glue Batons
2. sound deadening
3. insulation 6mm hard sheeting
4. 12mm ply sheeting fixed to rails with Countersunk M8 threaded, which I know is not what your doing,

however, there is no right or wrong way, I did this way due to running cables and possibly need access again in the future...

good luck with your build:thumbsup:

View attachment 81043
What was the 6mm sheet insulation you used @Kramsdog ?
Is that the dark grey stuff in the pic?

Back