Ply Floor - Glue Or Screw

Skyliner33

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Legend
I have glued 9mm batons to the floor of my van.

I now need to put the 12mm ply floor down.
I was planning on screws, but 2 converters I spoke to both recommended sikaflex and said the never screw the floor down.

Looking for peoples opinions on this.

Thanks

I screwed the ply floor to the batons, then put the lino on top. I didn't use many screws as it isn't as if the floor is going anywhere with a bed bolted down straight through it.

Pete

Glue the batons (as you have done) then screw to batons only. Do not go through to metal floor. Then lino glued on top.

Glue for battons - defo.

i suppose glueing down the floor ply would stop any future creaking, but its pretty permanent,

screwing would enable it to be lifted easier at a later date, if needed. . . .

so why not glue & a few screws? (if its permanent)

A few options/pics over on @kn0bby awesome site,

Man Vs Van - VW T6 Transporter Camper Build: Floor Floor Floor..

Same as above, I glued the batons down and screwed the ply floor to the batons. I put a layer of insulation between them so screwed down through this. Should mean it won't creek. I then glued (foam friendly contact adhesive) the lino to the ply floor.

Last edited:
Use strips of pipe lagging/wrap on your battarns if you don't want to insulate the entire floor.

Use strips of pipe lagging/wrap on your battarns if you don't want to insulate the entire floor.
Care to explain this, Im not sure what you mean? Do you mean the Circular sponge things you put around water pipes to insulate?

I glued the batons, then a sounds deadening layer, then screwed through into the batons. Make sure you use the right screws and pilot holes to get it to pull down nice and tight.

Getting my Smartbed fitted tomorrow and the chap wants to take the top layer of ply up so glad I didn't glue down.

If you have glued the Battons why would you not screw into them? Glue (Battons) plus screws(floor) is better than glue plus more glue

I see @Knobby has put the floor down before carpeting. Is this practical? I'm looking at doing the floor as one of my first jobs (sound deadening and insulating done) but thought carpeting would need doing prior. It would be handy if I could...

Wasn’t too many issues.

Don’t put the floor down before having a rail system fitted. My fitter wasn’t too happy having to remove all the glue!

Wasn’t too many issues.

Don’t put the floor down before having a rail system fitted. My fitter wasn’t too happy having to remove all the glue!
Ok. Thanks. Did you do the carpeting? Do people tend to run any wiring under the floor? I need to get my RIB bed in soon as I’m going away on a trip but have only really just started my conversion. Thinking floor down and fit seat. Remove seat after trip to carry on with conversion.

I have glued 9mm batons to the floor of my van.

I now need to put the 12mm ply floor down.
I was planning on screws, but 2 converters I spoke to both recommended sikaflex and said the never screw the floor down.

Looking for peoples opinions on this.

Thanks
We would always glue the ply floor to the battens and the metal ridges in the van as we consider this to be the foundations of the conversion, seating etc. The glue prevents noises and movement. If the floor moves and you have a join in it, this will show through into the floor covering. We always make a one piece CNC cut floor anyway so that helps.

The glue also helps to take out any variances in the sub floor level.

You can obviously screw if you wish but considering f you have any issues in the floor later – EVERTTHING – needs to be removed from the van to sort out. Not a fun prospect.

There is no right and wrong as such until you have a problem. Good luck

Rgds

Ian

Eclipse Campers

12 years ago I fitted an 18mm ply floor to my T5 (same inside as the T6). I used the 6x load anchor points to fix the ply. I left the carpet in place and routed recesses into the underside of the ply for what was left of the seat fixings (SS trims removed) so as to retain maximum floor to ceiling height. I couldn't find a sheet of ply big enough to cover the floor in one piece, so cut a groove where the two halves met and used biscuits. Perfect join that was completely hidden by the thin floor covering. No glue. No squeaks.

In the process of looking for a ply floor to fit and researching.

So is it 9mm for the batons? For a 12mm floor.
Also whats the go to for insulating the floor?

Looking to buy a CNC cut ply floor myself.

We

In the process of looking for a ply floor to fit and researching.

So is it 9mm for the batons? For a 12mm floor.
Also whats the go to for insulating the floor?

Looking to buy a CNC cut ply floor myself.
We can spupply a 1 piece CNC cut ply floor if you are interested?
Thanks
Ian

Reactions: Rg_
Back