Pizza Ovens

Davenjo

VIP Member
T6 Legend
@Walski and @Polzeylad - just seen your conversation on pizza ovens in the "where have you been thread.."; thought I'd move it over here to pick up rather than responding over there.

You can't beat wood oven coked pizza! I built a wood oven in the garden a few years back which is great for parties but a bit of a faff to get going for just the 3 of us and has hardly been used over the last couple of years.

For my birthday this year Jo bought me one of these that we have taken camping with us a couple of times - brilliant bit of kit for something a bit different camping:-
Uuni 2S Wood Fired Pizza Oven With Stone Baking Board

IMG_1331.jpg IMG_1284.jpg

Our friends parents have a lovely house near Bobbio in Northern Italy that came with a pizza oven.

We spent a couple of hours getting it up to nearly 400 degrees (I think) then my friend opened the door to check the coals; out shot a huge flame and singed all his chest fur, eyebrows, eyelashes and part of his hair. Once I'd established he wasn't hurt, I then laughed so hard I think I almost ended up breaking ribs.

Looks like a good set up @Dave Harris !

@Polzeylad that is the problem with our oven - the base is bedded down on loads of sand which gets sodden and then takes an age to dry out before the oven gets hot enough to cook on - 2 hours to get going when not used for a few months is not unusual. If doing again, I would do a proper job and build the dome into something.

The little oven is ready within about 10 minutes from cold - have used it at home a couple of times already in preference to its big brother.

I love them, real great alternative to a BBQ. I've seen the Uuni one you've got @Dave Harris and might get one for next summer. What max size pizza does it take?

The pizza peel you see in the photo comes with it (we bought a second to help prep another whilst one is cooking) and fits in the oven so you can go pretty much as big as the peel - need to be able to rotate it to cook evenly though. We prefer to have a couple (or more!) smaller ones each though and take it in turns choosing toppings, etc.

I haven't used it yet but I got a pizza stone with my Cadac Safari chef, not sure how good it will be though.

I haven't used it yet but I got a pizza stone with my Cadac Safari chef, not sure how good it will be though.
I would be interested to see how you get on as we have considered getting one for our cadac - I've tried with similar in ovens before but they never get upto to high enough temperature.

I would be interested to see how you get on as we have considered getting one for our cadac - I've tried with similar in ovens before but they never get upto to high enough temperature.
If we get a nice day and I am not at work I will give it a go (though I will get some strange looks from the neighbours)

I've got a RoccBox which has a wood burner and a gas burner and is portable. Tried both so far, the gas gets up to 450 degrees in about 20 minutes, the wood takes a little longer. Not sure if I can really taste the difference, but the wood burner is a bit more involving, just have to make stoking it part of the experience!

Makes damn good pizzas either way, looks cool too...

Here's the link Roccbox - Compact wood & gas pizza oven

I've got a RoccBox which has a wood burner and a gas burner and is portable. Tried both so far, the gas gets up to 450 degrees in about 20 minutes, the wood takes a little longer. Not sure if I can really taste the difference, but the wood burner is a bit more involving, just have to make stoking it part of the experience!

Makes damn good pizzas either way, looks cool too...

Here's the link Roccbox - Compact wood & gas pizza oven
I actually saw that after just after I'd got my Uuni - had I seen RoccBox first I think I would of gone for that instead for the dual fuel flexibility, plus if you use gas camping its a lot cleaner.

Back