1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pizza Ovens

Discussion in 'Camping & Campsites' started by Davenjo, 27 Oct 2016.

1. Davenjo

Davenjo Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

@Walski and @Polzeylad - just seen your conversation on pizza ovens in the "where have you been thread.."; thought I'd move it over here to pick up rather than responding over there.

You can't beat wood oven coked pizza! I built a wood oven in the garden a few years back which is great for parties but a bit of a faff to get going for just the 3 of us and has hardly been used over the last couple of years.

For my birthday this year Jo bought me one of these that we have taken camping with us a couple of times - brilliant bit of kit for something a bit different camping:-
    Uuni 2S Wood Fired Pizza Oven With Stone Baking Board

IMG_1331.jpg IMG_1284.jpg

DaveBos, Walski and Polzeylad like this.
  2. Polzeylad

Polzeylad California 204 4motion VIP Member T6 Legend

Our friends parents have a lovely house near Bobbio in Northern Italy that came with a pizza oven.

We spent a couple of hours getting it up to nearly 400 degrees (I think) then my friend opened the door to check the coals; out shot a huge flame and singed all his chest fur, eyebrows, eyelashes and part of his hair. Once I'd established he wasn't hurt, I then laughed so hard I think I almost ended up breaking ribs.

Looks like a good set up @Dave Harris !

Walski and Davenjo like this.
  3. Davenjo

@Polzeylad that is the problem with our oven - the base is bedded down on loads of sand which gets sodden and then takes an age to dry out before the oven gets hot enough to cook on - 2 hours to get going when not used for a few months is not unusual. If doing again, I would do a proper job and build the dome into something.

The little oven is ready within about 10 minutes from cold - have used it at home a couple of times already in preference to its big brother.

4. Davenjo

.....just need to free up some space/weight in the van to fit it in ;-)

Polzeylad likes this.
  5. Walski

Walski Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    I love them, real great alternative to a BBQ. I've seen the Uuni one you've got @Dave Harris and might get one for next summer. What max size pizza does it take?

6. Davenjo

The pizza peel you see in the photo comes with it (we bought a second to help prep another whilst one is cooking) and fits in the oven so you can go pretty much as big as the peel - need to be able to rotate it to cook evenly though. We prefer to have a couple (or more!) smaller ones each though and take it in turns choosing toppings, etc.

7. Buggirl

Buggirl Senior Member VIP Member T6 Legend

Map
    I want both! Lol. I am pizza mad but limit to one a week!

8. Gingercoastie

Gingercoastie Ecowagon Ultimate Explorer VIP Member T6 Pro

Map
    I haven't used it yet but I got a pizza stone with my Cadac Safari chef, not sure how good it will be though.

9. Davenjo

I would be interested to see how you get on as we have considered getting one for our cadac - I've tried with similar in ovens before but they never get upto to high enough temperature.

10. Gingercoastie

Gingercoastie Ecowagon Ultimate Explorer VIP Member T6 Pro

Map
    If we get a nice day and I am not at work I will give it a go (though I will get some strange looks from the neighbours)

Davenjo likes this.
  11. T6Chris

T6Chris Member VIP Member T6 Pro

I've got a RoccBox which has a wood burner and a gas burner and is portable. Tried both so far, the gas gets up to 450 degrees in about 20 minutes, the wood takes a little longer. Not sure if I can really taste the difference, but the wood burner is a bit more involving, just have to make stoking it part of the experience!

Makes damn good pizzas either way, looks cool too...

Here's the link Roccbox - Compact wood & gas pizza oven

12. Davenjo

I actually saw that after just after I'd got my Uuni - had I seen RoccBox first I think I would of gone for that instead for the dual fuel flexibility, plus if you use gas camping its a lot cleaner.

13. DaveBos

DaveBos Senior Member VIP Member T6 Guru

Map
    Liking that.